Latest post Sat, Apr 20 2013 3:36 AM by Taron Lexton. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Apr 19 2013 1:32 AM

Lossless Export?

Hello all! Long time reader, first time poster.

I'm looking for an equivalent to FCP 7's "Cmd-E" ("Current Settings") export, which gives a perfect lossless rendition of the original media.

In Avid I have found no exact lossless way to export media. It always changes it.

I shoot Canon 5D, import 709 at 175 X. But any codec I try -- Animation at 100% quality, Same as Source, anything -- shifts the image when compared to the original. It's either got shifted saturation, shifted gamma, or both.

The closest I've gotten is importing via AMA and then exporting Same as Source. But it's still slightly off.

It seems really weird that FCP would have a more accurate workflow than Avid. I'm sure I'm missing something!

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Taron 

2 x 3.06 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon, 32 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC, ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024 MB, Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , , ,
  • Fri, Apr 19 2013 6:29 AM In reply to

Re: Lossless Export?

Same as source export is exactly that an exact copy of your timeline media. Howevr H264 isn't a native resolution so you can't AMA link that and export it SAS (and you want to get out of H264 as soon as you can anyway)

So Transcode to DNX 185 or uncompressed and then SAS export. But you are at the mercy of QuickTime and that makes actual comparrisons almost impossible which is wht broadcasters and the like stick with MXF or similar.

AS02 and soon AS11 will also help with moving stuff around.

Basically if its important you need to find a non Quick Time solution.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Fri, Apr 19 2013 7:51 PM In reply to

Thanks Pat! That makes sense.

We currently transcode to ProRes before importing but it shifts the gamma a bit. So by getting out of H.264 I'm already losing fidelity.

Is there another format that is lossless that I can then AMA and SAS for a truly lossless workflow? Or am I doomed the moment I decide to shoot DSLR (because it's H.264)?

I appreciate your help!

2 x 3.06 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon, 32 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC, ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024 MB, Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 19 2013 9:31 PM In reply to

I'd AMA the H264 and then Transcode to DNX185 or Prores if you prefer.

And yes H264 is great for making very small files but that's about it.

I prefer the formats that use 50Mbps MPEGS.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Fri, Apr 19 2013 10:15 PM In reply to

Are you exporting the color levels as RGB or 601/709? You need to select 601/709 if you want avid not to change gamma.

Also, you should transcode inside of AVID using AMA. Whether you choose prores or dnxhd is up to you but be sure not to export color levels as RGB and use same as source. You should see no gamma change.

Btw, there's no lossless option in Prores or DnxHD, they are compressed formats and lossy by definition. Even your export from FCP7 (current settings) is exactly the same as source option in MC but the color levels option.

Mac Pro 8 core 2.4 Ghz (Middle 2010), 14 Gbs RAM, Matrox MXO2 Mini, GTX970 OSX v.10.10.1 AVID MC 8.3.1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 20 2013 3:36 AM In reply to

Thanks again Pat. How do you recommend getting the higher bitrate formats? External video recorder (Ninja 2, etc.)?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller