Latest post Sun, Apr 21 2013 7:32 PM by S.Clements. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Apr 21 2013 5:59 PM

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 811
    • Points 10,750

Title Effects Went Offline and Can't Relink

Hi,

I started up my Avid project to find that all my titles were offline (this seems to happen rather frequently).  I can't relink them.  I tried relinking by name, and that relinked everything, but only to one file - so for my opening and end credits, every single title effect comes up as the title of the movie and all the title effect clips in the timeline are now called the same thing.  I tried bringing in an old title bin from the attic, but couldn't relink to it.  So, I fear all my titles are gone.  Any idea what could be causing this?  It is happening too much. 

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , ,
  • Sun, Apr 21 2013 6:40 PM In reply to

Re: Title Effects Went Offline and Can't Relink

I'm not sure why that is happening "too much" but the easiest way to get them all back is to mark a region around all of the title clips on the timeline with the appropriate tracks active and choose "re-create title media". 

At some point soon when the problem occurs again, you should examine what we call "The Usual Suspects":

1. Project settings - can sometimes become corrupted. It the problem is contained to one specific project and is not visible in others, quit the application and from the specific project folder in the master "Avid Projects" folder, delete the "(project name)settings.avs" file. On re-launch, the system will detect the missing file and a new one.

2. Site settings - can sometimes become corrupted. If the problem appears in any project, quit the application and from the settings folder inside the "Avid Media Composer" folder on Macintosh HD, delete the following: MCState, Site Settings.avs, Site settings.xml, Site_Attributes. On re-launch, the system will detect the missing files and build new ones. If you previously dragged any user settings into the site settings window, those will need to be restored after the rebuild.

3. User profile - can sometimes malfunction and cause bizarre issues. Create a new user profile and see if the problem persists.

Also, check the health of the drive you're storing the title media on.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sun, Apr 21 2013 7:32 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 811
    • Points 10,750

Re: Title Effects Went Offline and Can't Relink

Hi, Larry.

Thanks so much for your help.  In this case, I had missplaced the Avid Media Files folder that had the titles in them.  When I said that this "happens too much", what I really should have said is that I never seem to be able to relink to title files that have either gone missing or been improperly relinked.  

I was unaware of the "re-create title media" command. That did the trick and brought everything back.

Regarding the "usual suspects", I tried everything else, except deleting the "(project name)settings.avs" file trick.  I was unaware of that one.

Thanks again!

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller