Latest post Fri, May 24 2013 2:00 PM by Don. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, May 22 2013 4:56 PM

• Don
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, May 24 2007
    • Columbia, MD
    • Posts 106
    • Points 1,340

FCP7 Pro Export to Symphony 6.5 not relinking via AMA

I'm trying to go from FCPX to Sym 6.5.  Here's what I am doing to get there.

1. Export FCPX xml.

2. Export XML to XML7 using X to 7 App.

3. Import new XML into FCP7.  (Everything comes in fine)

4. Export aaf out of FCP7 using Autoduck Pro Export.  I've tried various settings in AD with all the same results. I use the AMA export option basically. I can be more detailed on this but I don't think this is the problem.

5. Import aaf into Avid.  Sequence looks good. Mount volume where media is.  The media is the transcodes that FCPX made while editing.  This is also what FCP 7 was linked to.  This worked fine in FCP7.  

6. Select Master clips and choose relink.  

7. Nothing relinks. 

I've tried every setting 10 times and can't figure this out.  All the posts I've seen say this should work but it doesn't.  

The original sequence was 1080 30p. I'm working in a 1080i 5994 project but I've tried switching to 30p and that doesn't help.  

Also I noticed that I can't even relink AMA manually.  Why can't we do that when a file has no media associated to it?  The selection to relink AMA is greyed out.  This is definately something Avid needs to fix.   AMA should allow us to poiint the master clip where ever we want to.  

Either way if anyone has some insite into how I can make this work I'd appreciate it.  I'm trying to keep Avid in the workflow here and if this doesn't work I don't think we'll be able to hang on.  

Thanks.

DL 

iMac 3.5ghz i7 Core. 32GB Ram. MC 8.5.0 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 22 2013 5:37 PM In reply to

• Chepal
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • germany
    • Posts 537
    • Points 6,285

Re: FCP7 Pro Export to Symphony 6.5 not relinking via AMA

hi don,

maybe a solution for your problem:

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/119108.aspx

look at the youtube_clip from michael kammes.

hope that helps a little - good luck

che

mac_mc_8, fibre, sata, scsi [view my complete system specs]

peace from germany

• Wed, May 22 2013 5:40 PM In reply to

What you've described won't work. The QT files aren't being indexed, you will need to AMA link to them prior to relinking. This is an old tutorial that will still work: Pro Export FCP 4.05: FCP to MC AMA relink.

This relink process has been improved in v6.5. Sort the clips in the bin by name and select all of the clips, right click and Relink to AMA Files. The dialog box opens, navigate to the folder with the QT files, sort alphabetically and select the first QT file.

All the clips should relink.

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Principal Product Designer for Broadcast Storage & Editor Products

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Wed, May 22 2013 6:35 PM In reply to

• Don
    • Not Ranked
    • Columbia, MD
    • Posts 106
    • Points 1,340

I actually was using that tutorial.  It seems the relink dialogue box has changed a bit since MC5.0 and I think that's what he is using there. There's no specific AMA selection in the relink window now.  I've tried nearly every option possible in the relink window to no avail. 

In FCP Exporter I chose the option to relink via AMA.  But for some reason I do not get the relink AMA option in Avid when I right click.      

I tried putting the sequence into the bin with the AMA volume with all the Prores media and relinking the sequence and that didn't work either.  Although 1 clip did relink.  I have no idea why only one clip would relink since this clip is in the same folder as the other media files.  If one clip worked why not all of them?  

So if the relink options are better now that's great, they just aren't working for me right now.  

If anyone has any other suggestions I'd appreciate the help.  Maybe there's a better way to export from FCP exporter?  Maybe there's a frame rate issue I don't know about?  Maybe this just doesn't work with AMA using QT media?  

It really shouldn't be this difficult.  Why is Relink AMA greyed out?  Why can't I force Avid to point to those files if it won't automatically?  I think this is almost a deal breaker if this won't work.  I can't spend hours trying to get files to relink. Luckily this is me testing this out so that I can tell my boss we should keep a few Avid systems around.  If I can't do something basic like import an AAF from another system then what's the point of trying to work in Avid?  

It really shouldn't be this hard.  I appreciate any other suggestion anyone has. 

Thanks. 

DL

• Wed, May 22 2013 6:46 PM In reply to

AMA Link to the QT Files so they are in a bin. Select the sequence and the Relink Dialog should look like this:

RELINK.

• Wed, May 22 2013 7:16 PM In reply to

• Don
    • Not Ranked
    • Columbia, MD
    • Posts 106
    • Points 1,340

I don't get the options you are saying I should get when I select the sequence.  

Here's what I did again to make sure I didn't miss a step. 

1. Linked to AMA volume.  This is the transcoded media from FCP X.  It's all Prores with various frame rates.  Well 24p, 30p and 59.94 i all at 1080. These files work fine nothing is offline, they are linked clips. 

2. Importing AAF from FCP Exporter.  This comes in fine with all the master clips.  I'm in a 1080i 5994 project so when I load the sequence Avid makes a new sequence that works for this project rate, still linked to these master clips that are offline. Then when I load that new seqeunce Avid make another duplicate with new keyframes, not sure why it has to make two new sequences but that third new sequence is also linked to the master clips.  

3. The tutorial says to relink the master clips.  When I try to do that nothing will relink these master clips to the media I want it to connect to.  The relink AMA option is greyed out so I can't go that route either.  

4.  When I try to relink the sequence the dialogue box that you suggest to use is not allowing me to select the middle box in the first area of the window.  Under Media on drive:  I select the drive where I know where the media is.  The first check box is Load media data bases.  I check that, but that seems like it shouldn't matter if this is AMA.  I can't check box two labeled "relink selected master clips" which makes sense since this is a sequence and not a master clip.  The third box "Relink only to media from current project" is not selected. 

5.  Relink by: original: Start: Tape name or Source File ID.

6. Video parameters: It makes the most sense for me to choose: Any video format.  I have tried the other choices but non work.  Relink method: highest quality

So non of this works.  I have tried selecting individual master clips.  I 've tried moving the sequence into the same bin as the AMA vloume I've linked to and relinking.  I've also tried moving the Master clips into the AMA volume Bin that has the clips that I want them to point to.  

Nothing works. 

I do have hope that it will work somehow.  It really should.

DL 

• Wed, May 22 2013 7:27 PM In reply to

Don:

Under Media on drive:  I select the drive where I know where the media is.  The first check box is Load media data bases.  I check that, but that seems like it shouldn't matter if this is AMA.  I can't check box two labeled "relink selected master clips" which makes sense since this is a sequence and not a master clip.  The third box "Relink only to media from current project" is not selected.

All Availabe Drives Must be selected. If you select a specific drive, SN will look for an Avid MediaFiles Folder on that drive.

Place the sequence in the same bin as the clips Relink and you'll have that option.

• Wed, May 22 2013 7:42 PM In reply to

• Don
    • Not Ranked
    • Columbia, MD
    • Posts 106
    • Points 1,340

Not true on my end.  I've tried all available. I"ve tried moving the sequence into the bin with the AMA clips.  I've tried moving the sequence to the bin with the master clips.  

Nothing works.  And that box is still greyed out.  I have to reiterate that there are no MXF files in this project.  I shouldn't have to tell Avid to look at all drives cause I know exactly where the media is.  It's a bunch of Prores QT's that I was using in FCP.  So why would I have to tell Avid to looka t all drives anyway?  

I do appreciate your help, but this still hasn't solved my issue.  

I'm really just trying to do something very simple in my opinion.  I have a simple sequence that originated in FCPX.  I took that into FCP7 and then exported that seqeunce out as an AAF via FCP Exporter.  

The aaf comes in fine but of course everything is offline.  I then try to reconnect and this is were I get stagged.  

Is there anything about these master clips that could be wrong?  It seems to me that AMA doesn't work on master clips that were tape based.  Is it possible that Avid is seeing these clips as tape based?  If so, is there a way to change that?  If not Avid should definately fix this.  

I should be able to just tell Avid to link to what ever piece of media I want it to.  Or at least to browse to a folder when relinking AMA.

Again I appreciate the help but I'm not there yet.  

DL

• Wed, May 22 2013 7:59 PM In reply to

There currently no method to only select AMA Linked media when relinking. The only way to relink to AMA media, any AMA media, is to have All Available Drives selected.

I did just notice that the relink dialog I sent you was incorrect. Under Relink By: it must beTape Name or Source File Name. Sorry about that.

Relink QT

• Wed, May 22 2013 8:16 PM In reply to

• Don
    • Not Ranked
    • Columbia, MD
    • Posts 106
    • Points 1,340

I get the all available drives thing.  It just doesn't work.  I also have tried that dialgogue the way you suggest.  Not working. 

I've now read on Cow that this is problematic.  It doesn't always work and I think I'm experiencing the not working part of that.  It may be a Duck thing but it also may be an Avid thing.  Since I can see the sequence I am leaning towards it being an Avid thing though.  The fact that the information is right there and I can't get it to link to the right files is more frustating than you can imagine.  

It seems like that would be a priortiy item to fix.  I hope Avid fixes it.  

I'm pretty sure we are out of suggestions now.  But if there's anything else I should try I'm open to doing it.  I really shouldn't have to transcode or reimport media I've transcoded all ready.  It's frustrating becuase I may have to drop an edit system I've used for 20 years and have been behind all the way.  Over linking media?  Come on.  This is really crazy.

I know what some might say, start in Avid and stay in Avid.  Well yes, but it's not that simple anymore.  Many clients bring projects in allready started and want me to finish their work. I may want to use Baselight for Avid simply to color an edit.  This problem kills that idea totally because I'd have to transcode everything again in order to get this to work.  But if I can get the media in using the same source files that would solve this problem.  It woud also give me a reason to use Avid when ever I wanted to.  

Again, thanks for the suggestions.  I wish they worked. 

DL

• Wed, May 22 2013 8:59 PM In reply to

When you imported the AAF it should have made a number of clips. Look at the Start and AUX TC 1 Time Code and see if it has a tape name.

If they have a tape name, that's a problem. When using Log and Transfer FCP7 will add a Reel Name which is the location of the QT file. Using the AMA option in Automatic Duck should result in clips with no tape name.

Find the same clip that you've linked to via AMA. Do they both have the Exact Same name and time code?

Relinking is really very simple, the Tape Name and time code must match. If they don't, it won't relink.

QT is problematic because it doesn't have a UMID in the header like all the other file based media. Because of this there's only the name of the file and time code.

You can Batch Import the clips and they will Fast Import. They won't be trancoded on import.

Can you post a screen shot of the relink dialog you're using and the bins with clips showing Name, start, tape and Aux TC 1 columns.

• Thu, May 23 2013 12:40 AM In reply to

• Don
    • Not Ranked
    • Columbia, MD
    • Posts 106
    • Points 1,340

As simple as it is, it just isn't working today with this particular project.  I think it has something to do with the FCP Exporter as well as the frame rates.  The original project had some 24p, 30p and 60i clips.  You would think this info would come over because that's not really that unusual and it all worked fine in FCPX.  

Apparently when I exported out of FCP7  the aaf was converted to 30p thus the 24p clips have different TC at 30p. The thing that's odd to me is the 30p clips are all exactly as they were and they still do not link via AMA.  

In addition, I did a test using the Transocde media option in FCP Exporter and that seemed to work but the audio was out of sync  a little.  

I will try another project soon and post my results.  It looks like it works sometimes to me and this happens to be a time it just didn't like my project.  That's all I can conclude at this time.

I do appreciate your help Bob.  

DL  

• Thu, May 23 2013 11:11 AM In reply to

I'm not sure what the issue is, I've certainly done this a large number of times. I suggest trying Boris Transfer as its currently developed and supported software.

Could you place the clips created by the AAF and the AMA linked QT files that you believe are the same into a bin with Name, Start, End, Aux TC 1, format and tape name?

• Fri, May 24 2013 2:00 PM In reply to

• Don
    • Not Ranked
    • Columbia, MD
    • Posts 106
    • Points 1,340

Sorry I had to move on to another project I don't have time right now to figure that out.  I was testing anyway.  I will try Boris when I have a moment.  I think it's the various frame rates that are causing the problem.  Of course it shouldn't be a problem but obviously something is happening.  

I'm about to post about another issue I'm having with consolidating.  Maybe you can shed some light on that problem.  

Thanks for your help.

DL

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller