Latest post Thu, Jun 13 2013 11:23 PM by Dom Q. Silverio. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jun 13 2013 5:09 AM

Relink to Audio File with Different File Name

I'm cutting on Avid MC 6.5 on a Mac, as is my collaborator in a different city.  We started off with exact mirror drives, but as we pass new bits of media back and forth, the exact file names are diverging.  

He sent me a bin with a sequence that includes an audio file of voiceover.

I can open the sequence fine, but the audio file comes up as offline.  When I look in the Media Tool, I can see my MXF file of the audio right there.  I've tried Refresh Media Directories and Load Media Database.  I've even tried Consolidate/Transcode after AMA linking to the raw media file (on my desktop).  And, of course, the mysterious "Relink" command. 

Nothing works.  I presume this is because the audio file is named different things in our media directories, depending upon the order in which we brought it into our "1" Folder. 

How can I relink this file?  There must be a way!

• Thu, Jun 13 2013 12:08 PM In reply to

Re: Relink to Audio File with Different File Name

How was the VoiceOver created and brought into the project on his end?

Is it a file that was imported? (.wav, .mp3, .aif?) or was it recorded as scratch track and recorded straight into Avid?

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Thu, Jun 13 2013 1:52 PM In reply to

The audio file was created in QuickTime Pro. 

It's actually a .mov, the audio is AAC (Stereo, 48KHz).  

It was imported by being dragged into a bin.  

• Thu, Jun 13 2013 2:32 PM In reply to

knollcrest:

The audio file was created in QuickTime Pro. 

It's actually a .mov, the audio is AAC (Stereo, 48KHz).

If you did a seperate import process from th eother editor, check the TC (start and end) of the media. You may not have the same default TC for imported items.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 13 2013 2:56 PM In reply to

Do you have the .mov file?

if so, just Batch import to get it into your system.  If you imported separately then it likely will never link. 

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Thu, Jun 13 2013 9:59 PM In reply to

Thank you for your reply!

I did in fact import by dragging into the bin.  As did my collaborator.  We both have the same starting TC 01:00:00:00.  

I do also have the original .mov file.  

I've tried to delete the master clip & original media that I importing in that method, and then going back and Batch Importing, but this does not seem to work.  

Is there really no workaround for this?  Coming from, ahem, a FCP background, it seems very strange to me that there would not be a way to do this. 

And/or, what's the best workflow in the future? 

• Thu, Jun 13 2013 11:23 PM In reply to

1. Put sequence in an empty bin

2. Fast Menu -> set bin display -> show reference clips

3. Select the offline clip in question

4. Right click and batch import

5. Point to the same MOV file

6. Disable "show reference clips" when done.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller