Latest post Wed, Jun 19 2013 8:22 PM by FunkyDragon. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jun 19 2013 11:40 AM

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 812
    • Points 10,755

Ability to EASILY Export OMF Audio From HD Projects

I find it odd that you have to switch a project to SD to export OMF audio.  I imagine this has something to do with Avid trying to encourage the sole use of ProTools and not other DAWs like Audition, but I don't see any reasons for the switch to SD and the removal of the OMF option from HD projects.  It doesn't really make any sense to me technically and honestly comes across as a bit petty.  Some might think this request is petty!:-) However, I think the more elegant and open Avid is, the better it is for everyone. 

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , ,
  • Wed, Jun 19 2013 12:04 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,373
    • Points 16,955

Re: Ability to EASILY Export OMF Audio From HD Projects

The more elegant, updated, more universally compatible system is AAF.   If there's a conspiracy, Avid, Apple, Adobe, Grass Valley and many others are involved.

Would it be nice if it were easier?  I suppose.  I don't find dropdown/click to be overly burdensome.

• Wed, Jun 19 2013 1:09 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 812
    • Points 10,755

smrpix:

If there's a conspiracy, Avid, Apple, Adobe, Grass Valley and many others are involved.

Apple's XML and Premiere, from what I've seen, seems to favour XML over AAF (have had a lot of problems between Premiere and AAFs).  Avid is of course in favour of AAF.  

Adobe Audition is a very popular DAW and it does not accept AAFs, but handles OMFs beautifully.

Why would Avid remove the OMF option? - It's not like they're into streamlining and making things more simple for the layperson, like Apple or Adobe. 

I don't know if it is a "conspiracy", but it is weird.   

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 19 2013 1:17 PM In reply to

Avid didn't "remove" the OMF option.  OMF is SD, so the option is only available while in SD mode.  You need to switch to a SD format in order to create OMF.

As mentioned, OMF is a legacy format, that most have abandoned.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Wed, Jun 19 2013 1:38 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 812
    • Points 10,755

Thanks, Randall.  I am relatively new to Avid and did think the OMF option was in earlier versions of the program for HD projects.  But as I scroll through the message boards, as far back as 2008, I see this was not the case.  

OMF is an export option for audio from HD projects in other NLEs, but I guess it's fair enough that Avid made a distinction between OMF/SD and AAF/HD.

It would be helpful to have the OMF export, because so many audio programs still use it, but when I look at the issue historically, Avid's not really to blame.

• Wed, Jun 19 2013 8:22 PM In reply to

S.Clements:

It would be helpful to have the OMF export, because so many audio programs still use it, but when I look at the issue historically, Avid's not really to blame.

You CAN have the OMF export, you just have to flip the format to SD on the Format tab. That takes about 2 clicks and a total of 5 seconds.  The functionality is there, it's just a different way to get there when working on an HD project.  That's almost as easy as it gets.

Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option Win7x64 Pro HP zBook 15" Laptop - 16GB RAM (2nd System) Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option - HP z420... [view my complete system specs]

The FunkyDragon 

Happy Editing!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller