Latest post Fri, Jun 28 2013 10:57 PM by editor11HD. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jun 28 2013 10:20 PM

• editor11HD
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 11 2010
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 31
    • Points 450

MC7 Not Recognizing Dongle

I've had my dongle since 2003.  I last updated it when I got MC6 in late 2011.  Yesterday I downloaded my newly available "Symphony Upgrade 6.0 - 6.5 (Download Only)" and the new MC didn't recognize the dongle.  So I emailed "Customer_Advocate@avid.com" and they sent me the customary updater.avd file.  

Only, the updater.avd file did not work.  

The Dongle Updater says:  "No Dongle compatible with this update found."

I've tried emailng "Customer_Advocate" three more times in the last 24 hours but have received no response.

Do I really need to purchase a support contract just to activate my software when the Dongle Updater refuses to behave?

The only thing I can think of is that back when I bought "Symphony 6.0.1 from Media Composer Cross-Grade," I never installed it or updated the Dongle to that software because I was in the middle of a multi-year project and had to stay on MC6.  Could this be my issue -- skipping a version when updating the dongle?

Whether it is or isn't, my real problem is that I can't seem to get a hold of Avid to get this addressed, and can't install my new software.

I've been a pro user of Avid since 1996.  This problem is with my home system.

Any help would be appreciated.

Here is the report generated in the "Scan Dongle" tab of the updater:

Avid System ID: xxxxxxxxxx

Dongle Serial Number: xxxxxxxx Product: Media Composer Model: Media Composer Version: 6.0 Expires: 1/1/2071 Blasted On: 12/28/2011 Additional Options: Interplay Transfer Local Language Marquee Title Tool OMM Options

MacBook Pro OSX 10.10.2 2.6 GHZ Intel Core i7 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , ,
  • Fri, Jun 28 2013 10:31 PM In reply to

• Reanimated
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 16 2006
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 302
    • Points 3,445

Re: MC7 Not Recognizing Dongle

since 7 just got released yesterday, Marianna might be a bit buissy, but she will answer, as soon as possible. there might be some thousands of emails that arrived prior to yours

Win8 64bit, SSD systemdrives - MC 8 + Symphony option, Nitris DX, i7 3930K (GA-X79-UD7), 16GB, Quadro 2000 - Symphony 6.0.3, DeckLink Studio, HP Z400... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 28 2013 10:35 PM In reply to

Phone support is free for registration issues.  From what I recall, you end up pressing "2" through the series of prompts.  I called with an activation issue yesterday, it was quick and easy.

http://www.avid.com/US/support/support-contact#video

EDIT: Wait a second - you're trying to take what is now an MC dongle and blast it with a Symphony 6.0 > 6.5 upgrade.  That won't work, because the updater is looking for a Symphony dongle, not MC.  You should update your dongle with the MC > Symph cross, which will make it a Symph dongle, and then go Symph 6 > 6.5 - otherwise, how would the updater know that the dongle is eligible for a Symph > Symph upgrade in the first place?

Also, you say Symph 6.5 just became available for you.  Are you eligible for MC7+Symphony option?  It would automatically show up in your account if you purchased and registered the 6.5 upgrade recently.  It might be in the "Products not yet downloaded" section.  If you are eligible for 7, it seems you might as well update your dongle to that.  A MC7+Symphony option dongle will run Symphony 6.5.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 28 2013 10:54 PM In reply to

• editor11HD
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 31
    • Points 450

You are right, it is MC7 with Symphony upgrade.  BUT, what I supplied to Avid when I requested the dongle upgrade was my upgrade serial number, which, logically, should have known all about me and what the Dongle should have been turned in to, right?

MacBook Pro OSX 10.10.2 2.6 GHZ Intel Core i7 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 28 2013 10:57 PM In reply to

• editor11HD
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 31
    • Points 450

I fully realize the software was just released and of course thousands of people will be wanting to upgrade their dongle.

But are you seriously saying that there is only one human being trying to cope with all that traffic ?

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller