Latest post Wed, Oct 1 2014 6:04 PM by BobRusso. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jul 1 2013 1:36 PM

• mannix1000
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 8 2009
    • Posts 6
    • Points 80

Avid Bin Issue

Hi, just wondering if anyone has had this problem before of possibly knows what might be causing it.

We are experiencing issues with some Avid bins. Certain bins become 'locked' to the system even if it's the system which has write permission.

It seems to be on bins that are being accessed frequently and usually by more than one system.

As soon as the bin tries to save either automatically or manually, we get this:

The bin has now become locked to all systems. They can open it but on closing will get the same error.

Anything within the bin can be copied to a new bin and saved but the bin itself can't be deleted EVEN AT DESTOP LEVEL! Until all edit clients have been shutdown.

Trying to close the bin gets this error:

Trying to rename gets this:

Our setup comprises of PC's (Z400, Z800,Z820) running Symphony 6.5.2 (I updated 2 of the pc's to 6.5.3 but this didn't fix it).

We also have a couple of MacPro's running MC 6.0.3.

Our shared storage is a 32Tb ISIS 5000 System Director & 32Tb Expansion Chassis, running 4.0.0.5500.

Let me know if you require any more information.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

• Mon, Jul 1 2013 3:44 PM In reply to

Re: Avid Bin Issue

It is a bug

Here

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 2 2013 12:56 PM In reply to

• mannix1000
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 80

Hi Dom,

Thanks for the reply. Not really the answer I was looking for.

The posts in this link seem to suggest it's a problem between MC 5.5.3.3, ISIS 5000 3.2.0.355 & OSX. That's not quite the same as the issue I'm having because all my versions are newer (I would have hoped that the problem would have been fixed), also the problems I'm having are almost entirely PC based.

I just did a quick test, I found a bin on the PC with the same problems as my first post and opened it on a Mac with Symph 6.5.2. The bin opens fine, I can change it and save it, I can rename it and move it. What's more I've gone back to the PC and the same bin is now miraculously working!

Where does the bug exist? Is it symphony/MC, ISIS, OSX or windows?

Avid's reliability when sharing projects on shared storage is what makes it stand out from the rest. If this doesn't work they have a serious problem.

• Wed, Jul 3 2013 3:51 PM In reply to

• mannix1000
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 80

Ok, bit of an update on this.

I think I know partially what's causing the issue but I'm still not sure how to fix it.

I was trying various things on the PC's to try and fix it (re-installing network drivers, disabling Antivirus, e.t.c.), nothing was working. I then went to one of the Macs and realised I couldn't unmount the projects workspace through ISISClientManager. I tried it on another mac, same thing. Shutting down the Macs (to force disconnect) seems to have 'fixed' the problem. Any bins that were being problematic suddenly started working again.

We've been working in a Mac/PC environment for a long time now and this problem only started recently. Something must have changed but I can't think what it is.

Has anyone had the not unmounting problem before or do you know what might be causing it?

• Sun, Jul 7 2013 2:10 PM In reply to

Try disabling Spotlight searches on the workspaces for all of your mac clients.  perhaps that's the service that's locking up the files and making Avid think they are in use.

Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option Win7x64 Pro HP zBook 15" Laptop - 16GB RAM (2nd System) Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option - HP z420... [view my complete system specs]

The FunkyDragon 

Happy Editing!

• Wed, Jul 10 2013 7:30 AM In reply to

• mannix1000
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 80

Thanks FunkyDragon. It had been disabled on one of the Macs but I forgot to do it on the newer one.

I've not had the newer one connected to the projects workspace after I realised it was a mac issue and we've had no bin lock problems since.

I am still having a problem in that the other mac (which has spotlight disabled) still wont release the projects workspace but it's not locking bins. I'm looking at the machine now when there's only me in the facility, other machines are connected to Isis but no bins are being opened/closed. The mac is now mounting and unmounting the projects with no problem. I need to figure out at what point I stop being able to unmount it.

I'm getting closer, at least my original issue has stopped now.

Thanks for your help.

• Mon, Mar 3 2014 10:30 AM In reply to

• yandell44
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 29 2013
    • Posts 1
    • Points 15

Did you get to the bottom of this?

Just started having the same issues last week, had two days with no mac's accessing the isis & no more errors, not ideal though.

Thanks in advance.

• Fri, Sep 26 2014 11:20 PM In reply to

Yes, any more info on this issue? We're having major problems with this, though there is one PC that is more problematic than the rest.

The machine having the most problems is running MC 8.1, while the others are running 6.5

• Wed, Oct 1 2014 10:54 AM In reply to

check to make sure you are navigating to the project folder on ISIS via the DRIVE LETTER and not through Network Computers.  the folder path in the project select window should look like z:\ISIS_Projects\Project and NOT \\AvidISIS\ISIS_Projects\Project

Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option Win7x64 Pro HP zBook 15" Laptop - 16GB RAM (2nd System) Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option - HP z420... [view my complete system specs]

The FunkyDragon 

Happy Editing!

• Wed, Oct 1 2014 6:04 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,255
    • Points 27,845
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid ISIS
      Moderator: Avid NEXIS PRO
      Moderator: Avid Storage Products

moviejulie:

Yes, any more info on this issue? We're having major problems with this, though there is one PC that is more problematic than the rest.

The machine having the most problems is running MC 8.1, while the others are running 6.5

We aren't doing any testing with v4.0.0, this is a very old version. The earliest we are looking at is the 4.2.2 kit, which is 4.0.3 for the ISIS 5000.

What version of the ISIS client are you running? The 4.0 client isn't supported with MC 8.1.

I strongly suggest you upgrade to the current version of ISIS or a later version that supports your connected clients.

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Post-Production Workflow Manager - NFL Films

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller