Latest post Tue, Oct 22 2013 3:07 AM by Mondo. 30 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (31 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 9 2013 1:02 AM

Avid v7 is crashing when transcoding XDCAM AMA clips

Hello Avid Forums,

I recently upgraded to version 7 of Avid Media Composer. I am having problems importing XDCAM into my project. As far as I can tell, I have installed the proper plugins, have searched the forums, and have tried to import the footage in multiple manners, but alas, I am here because nothing has worked. 

Here is what happens: I load an XDCAM EX Card by opening an AMA Link in a bin (from an EX1 Card that has been copied to my external drive). The AMA clip loads fine. I can play it and view it. The problem, however, occurs when I try to Consolodate/Transcode the clip to create a non-AMA MXF copy in my Avid Media Folder. I go through the typical steps to transcode the clip into my project, select the drive the rest of my project's media is stored on, and hit Transcode. It seems to work properly for a while, but when it comes to the end of the processing the clip, I get the following error: 

Assertion failed: audioDesc && (0 < audioDesc->GetNumChannels())

[/Volumes/Data/Snapshots/relengsnow3_1372098296/coresw/ame/Projects/Mac/../../src/msm/MultipleDescriptor.c:462]

And AMC proceeds to crash. This happens exactly the same way every time. 

Any help, tips, suggestions out there would be much appreciated. Thank you! 

• Wed, Jul 10 2013 1:42 AM In reply to

• Edit225
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 52
    • Points 650

Re: Avid v7 is crashing when transcoding XDCAM AMA clips

I'm having this same issue.  The clips all load through AMA fine but the error message comes during the consolidate/transcode.  It only seems to be problematic with spanned clips as shorter clips consolidate fine.  I thought I might not have the latest Sony AMA plugins so I went to their site and found this:

• The correct AMA plug-in must be matched to the version of Avid editor you are using.
    • Avid products supported by PDZK-MA2 include: Media Composer 6.0.x/6.5.x, Symphony 6.0.x/6.5.x, and NewsCutter 10.0.x/10.5.x.
    • The current plug-in does not officially support Avid Media Composer 7. An update to add support for Avid Media Composer 7 is expected to release near the end of July.

I guess it's back to 6.5 for now unless someone has a workaround.

27-inch, Late 2013 iMac, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, OS X 10.11.3, 32GB Media Composer 8.5.0 w/Symphony [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 10 2013 3:07 AM In reply to

• Renegader
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Dec 6 2011
    • Posts 64
    • Points 830

It just boggles my mind that they would release a version without proper AMA support.  People are never going to switch without full support for XDCam and P2 (P2 support has just been released).

I've qualified for the Avid 7 upgrade but there's no way I'm installing it until at least version 7.1.

Avid MC w/Symphony add on 8.4 with AJA 4K IO Box, Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.1, 27 inch iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 6800MX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 10 2013 3:00 PM In reply to

Renegader:
    It just boggles my mind that they would release a version without proper AMA support.

AMA support falls to the responsibility of the various vendors.  I'm sure Sony and Panasonic folks had access to beta versions of v7.0.  It's up to them to devote the resources to release their plugins in a timely manner.

Panasonic did release their P2 plugin two days after the release of v7.0, BTW.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Wed, Jul 10 2013 3:39 PM In reply to

• Edit225
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 52
    • Points 650

I just had the same thing happen with a spanned clip from a Canon XF-305.  Is anyone else having trouble with only spanned clips?  Maybe it's an Avid bug rather than a plugin issue.  So far no luck with Sony PMW-F3, PMW-200 and Canon XF-305.

27-inch, Late 2013 iMac, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, OS X 10.11.3, 32GB Media Composer 8.5.0 w/Symphony [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 12 2013 11:11 AM In reply to

• Az Kola
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 16 2011
    • London, UK
    • Posts 275
    • Points 3,280

I have been having issues with XDCam materials using MC7. Sony says that the plugin with be available towards the end of July so hopefully they will make the plugin available by the end of July

As for ingesting the files I have had to go back to MC6 and ingest the XDCam materials.

Canon C300 is AMA-in the materials with their current plugin using MC7

Hope that helps

http://www.flickr.com/photos/azemkola [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 12 2013 1:50 PM In reply to

Renegader:
    there's no way I'm installing it until at least version 7.1.

Probably the safest choice.   Since I rely on Avid and my XDCAM camera for my livelihood, I think it's best to let the more adventurous work out all the bugs.  

MC 2018.12.3 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Fri, Jul 12 2013 5:01 PM In reply to

• bobcat
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 20 2006
    • Southwest, USA
    • Posts 522
    • Points 6,075

Exactly. MC 6.5 is working fine.

Avid MC 6.5.2.1 with 27"iMac 2.8GHz Intel i7 OSX 10.8.3, 12GB memory, ATi Radeon HD 4850, Caldigit Raid [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 13 2013 5:25 AM In reply to

• Abraxas
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 18 2006
    • Australia
    • Posts 62
    • Points 705

Kevin,

Isn't it about time Avid worked on this issue, its easy to say its upto the vendors to get the plugins ready, surely Avid has a responsibility to its customers to deliever a fully functioning software, I lose hours everytime I upgrade...

I have to go chasing vendours for thier plugins, example I'm having problems importing a simple AVI animation with alpha channel, it just isn't happening, being the weekend I can't contact my tech so I thought I'll AMA the clip in, Wrong! unfortunately, the MXF AMA plugin v1.7.2 doesnt work with MC 7 only 6.5...

WHF! why isn't the MXF AMA plugin for MC 7 not ready? now we are told it might be ready by the end of July, a month after the software is realeased, it just seems to go on and on when you upgrade or buy Avid software, its like me selling my car WITHOUT WHEELS, yes sure, I guess the buyer can go and source a set of wheels but isnt that up to me to provide the wheels in the first place, seriously.

Kevin, I know you are doing your best with supporting the Avid community and I don't mean to seem angry with you in anyway, however, I've been listening to these excuses since version 3 and to be honest all the rhetric from Avid means nothing until they get their act together, no wonder FCP and Premier have made such inroads into the NLE community.

Avid professes to have the best NLE system, however, their customers still have to spend hours if not days trying to get their livelyhood working because parts of the software are missing or not released.

Frustrated... G

Avid Media Composer 8.5 with - MacBook Pro 15" i7 2,8 ghz with 16Gb Ram, 768 gb Flash drive... 12 TB Extenal HDD's - OS Yosemite 10.10.5 Skype... [view my complete system specs]

George

• Sat, Jul 13 2013 9:22 PM In reply to

Abraxas,

The MXF plugin is installed with Media Composer, so I don't know why you don't have it.  If you are having a problem with it, that's another issue, so please let us know.

Again, with camera companies releasing new models every other day it seems, I don't know how Avid is supposed to be be able to keep up all of them.  That is why they opened up their architecture to allow for the camera developers do create their own AMA plugins.  You may not agree, but to me it makes a lot more sense than relying on Avid to do it all themselves.

And finally -- and here is where I take off my Avid cap for a moment -- Avid has had a history of releases that aren't always to the level the marketers would have you believe.  I believe v7.0 is better than others, but it is by no means perfect.  Anyone who is living in a mission critical world who thinks they have to upgrade the day the software comes out, can, IMHO, be making a mistake.  If you have time to play, great.  If not, by all means wait until v7.0.1 gets released and some of the big bugs get fixed.  I know that we use dual-boot systems here so I can always drop back to the previous version if necessary, and I've already had to this time around in order to access Canon footage. 

Unfortunately, we live in a world where companies would rather release something now than something that works perfectly later.  Avid isn't alone in this case, and so as consumers we have to be patient and make decisions to adopt when we believe the benefits (new features) outweigh the problems (bugs and incompatibilities).

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Fri, Jul 19 2013 4:47 AM In reply to

• Abraxas
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 18 2006
    • Australia
    • Posts 62
    • Points 705

Hi Kevin,

I must have been having a really bad day when I wrote that reply (i couldn't get an alpha channel AVI animation to import into the Avid, even though I've used it many times before in 6.5), dont get me wrong I'm an Avid man from way back and I have been using Avid Media Composer since version 3 back in 2006 and I really do appreciate 7's sturdy performance, I wish I can say the same thing about Titler Pro 2, it keeps crashing MC 7 everytime I go to render a title...

Kevin, I guess I just get jack of having to wait for weeks, sometimes months, to get plugins in order that I can get my footage into the Avid so I can work and I can earn a living.

I do tend to rush in and update toooo quickly, I guess I should have waited for 7.0.1 to come out, what would happen if we all did that? Avid would have no sales, I'm not sure they would be very happy with that senario.

Anyway, if someone can tell me why an AVI with alpha wont import into MC I would really be grateful, Avid goes through the process of importing and says its making a movie and then an alpha but when I go to play it in my source monitor its black and nothing shows up.

Please hurry up Sony, I need that plugin!

Cheers, George

Avid Media Composer 8.5 with - MacBook Pro 15" i7 2,8 ghz with 16Gb Ram, 768 gb Flash drive... 12 TB Extenal HDD's - OS Yosemite 10.10.5 Skype... [view my complete system specs]

George

Filed under: ,
  • Mon, Aug 5 2013 8:54 PM In reply to

• Edrick Smith
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Apr 18 2010
    • Boston, MA
    • Posts 72
    • Points 955

Any updates to this? Anyone know if Canon has any plans to release something? Is there a work around? How should I bring my media in other wise?

Mac Pro (Mid 2010) 2.8 GHz Quad Core // 12 GB RAM // OS X 10.8.3 MacBook Pro 15" // 2.2 i7 // 16 GB RAM // OS X 10.8.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Aug 5 2013 10:21 PM In reply to

• Edit225
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 52
    • Points 650

I downloaded the new Sony XDCAM plugin this morning but still had trouble consolidating spanned clips.  I give up.  I just re-installed Symphony 6.5.3.  I look forward to a working version of 7 but I can't waste any more time.

• Mon, Aug 5 2013 11:13 PM In reply to

Having similar errors with transcodes, consolidates, relinks, basically all forms of media management.  If i "Continue," I end up with a segmentation fault and the program crashes.  I have found, however, that the "Debugger" button often bypasses the error, finishes the relink/consolidate/etc. (sometimes successfully, and sometimes it doesn't relink), and lets me continue editing.  I haven't focused on trying to reproduce the error yet, but it's definitely frequent.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Aug 6 2013 3:41 PM In reply to

• Action757
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Oct 2 2011
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40

I think this is happening with a lot of codecs. My Sony PMW F3 is having that error when transcoding spanned clips, and Im having that error with Panasonic AVCHD clips as well. I've tried everything from updating my drivers for my Apogee Duet and my Capture Cards. I have to open in Premiere or Final Cut and export from them as another type like prores and then import into MC7. I really don't like these errors in MC7. Really considering going to Premiere. I love the media structure of MC, but with my deadlines I can't keep dealing with these errors

Page 1 of 3 (31 items) 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller