Latest post Sun, Jan 25 2015 4:54 PM by NicolasArgentina2015. 47 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (48 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jul 29 2013 7:45 PM

Avid Crashes when Importing Canon 5D Mark III footage

Hello Avid Community,

I've recently installed Avid v7 on my Mac Pro. I moved a shared project over from another machine and am trying to simply important footage shot on a Canon 5D Mark III into a bin. 

Avid processes the audio file fine, but when it attempts to process the video file, it gets near to the end and then freezes, hanging on the Spinning Rainbow Wheel of Death. 

I have tried this multiple times, have tried adjusting many options, always with the same result. FYI I am trying to import at DNxHD 145 to 709 HD color space. 

The especially odd thing here is that I can import Canon 7D footage into the same project just fine. 

RE: plugins, I have gone to Avid's website to look for the Quicktime AMA plugin, but the site says that it was installed with my software (and therefor I can't download).

Anyone experiencing similar issues? Solutions out there? Thanks for the help!

• Mon, Jul 29 2013 9:45 PM In reply to

Re: Avid Crashes when Importing Canon 5D Mark III footage

You mention "importing" and "AMA" which are two different things.  So are you "importing" the 5D clips by going to File > Import, or are you "AMA-linking" them by going to File > Link to AMA File(s)?

Or are you doing something else?

Media Composer 2018.12.5 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Jul 29 2013 10:05 PM In reply to

I am primarily trying File>Import, though I have attempted both. 

• Mon, Jul 29 2013 10:11 PM In reply to

If you link to the files using AMA, are you able to transcode them to DNxHD 145?  That would get you to the same place as importing them would, and linking & transcoding is usually faster than importing, too.

Media Composer 2018.12.5 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Jul 29 2013 10:30 PM In reply to

While it doesn't stall quite as fast, Avid is also freezing up when I try to link the 5D clips as AMA. So at the moment that option isn't working either. 

• Mon, Jul 29 2013 11:04 PM In reply to

Sorry, allow me to clarify. I can mount the AMA clips of the 5D .MOVs fine, but once they are in the bin, I cannot open them in the viewer nor transcode/consolodate them without freezing AVID

• Tue, Jul 30 2013 12:10 AM In reply to

Update: I successfully Imported a clip shot with an iPhone, but still cannot import any clip from a Canon 7D or Canon 5D, including from different folders on different days. 

• Tue, Jul 30 2013 2:33 AM In reply to

• bbobbsee
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 17 2013
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Hi 

You need to turn volume mounting on under the AMA settings and then "import AMA volume or files".

This is because you are using the MTS encoded files that come directly from such a camera.

Many other codecs come in simply as a straight import in to the bin.

p2 files ned to have AMA volume mounting turned off first before you can import them.

Cheers 

bob 

• Wed, Jul 31 2013 7:02 PM In reply to

Hey Bob,

"turning AMA on" isn't exactly an option in the AMA settings in MC v7, be regardless, I have reviewed my AMA settings and have ensured that they are "on" in a sense (not disabled for legacy P2 import). All the same, I don't think that is my issue. I'm simply trying to import .MOVs (H.264) shot on Canon 7D/5D, and nothing is importing. 

On my other computer, I am able to import the exact same clips, into an exact copy of the project, without any problem. All of my import settings match as well. This, of course, leads me to believe that there is something wrong with this system. 

Beyond that, I have no idea where to look or what to do. I am at a loss and AVID has got me completely stuck, dead in the water. How does one proceed in such a situation (beyond switching to more reliable editing programs?) Huh?

• Wed, Jul 31 2013 7:52 PM In reply to

Just did a full uninstall and reinstall of Media Composer. The issue persists exactly as before. 

• Wed, Jul 31 2013 8:22 PM In reply to

• Dan
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 28 2011
    • Posts 238
    • Points 3,055

Have you tried turning your i/o hardware on or off when you AMA a clip?  You can toggle your hardware with the button that looks like gears in your timeline window above your sequence.

What about making a new project and importing footage into that - does it still suck?

Reliable NLE... I tend to think of them in terms of which one I hate the least.

• Thu, Aug 1 2013 7:09 PM In reply to

Thanks for the reply Dan. Am not seeing the "Gear wheels at the top of the timeline window" you speak of. Perhaps because I have no special hardware I/O to speak of? Pretty basic setup here. Mac Pro tower, Cinema Display, Keyboard/Mouse, couple external drives. 

Per your suggestion, I tried creating a new project from scratch on the machine in question and.... the problem still exists as is. Frustrating. 

Any Avid professionals out there looking to help/impress a new customer? 

• Thu, Aug 1 2013 8:46 PM In reply to

Do you have the ability to post a small file that causes an issue somewhere?

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Thu, Aug 1 2013 10:29 PM In reply to

I suppose I could but I doubt it will do much good. At the moment, when I need to import, I just open the project on my laptop and the clips breeeeze right on in. 

On my Mac Pro (problematic machine) I just tried importing a 7D clip and it gave me a "QTWrapper" bug report, then an error saying "Format not supported for import." 

What could possibly be the difference between one AVID setup and another?

• Wed, Sep 25 2013 3:16 PM In reply to

• TOXA
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 16 2013
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40

I have the same problem here. Exactly the same description. Anything new?

Page 1 of 4 (48 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller