Latest post Tue, Sep 25 2018 5:03 PM by Aren Hansen. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Aug 10 2013 9:09 PM

Can't add scene number to Group Clips?

I'm really dumbfounded by this. Seems like it should be so simple.

I just created a Group Clip and want to add a Scene Number to it in the Scene column in the browser. The rest of my clips are labeled with Scene/Take numbers to organize them without changing the clip name. 

Avid allows me to enter a value in the scene column for my group clip, but when you hit Enter or Return, the number just disappears. What's going on here? 

Is there some kind of fix to this? Confused

• Fri, Feb 7 2014 7:32 PM In reply to

• pianoman72
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 9 2006
    • Dallas, TX
    • Posts 517
    • Points 5,930

Re: Can't add scene number to Group Clips?

BUMP

What's up with this?  Using MC 7.0.3.

Media Composer 8.3.1, OSX 10.9.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Feb 8 2014 1:12 AM In reply to

It's the same in 6.5.4.1 and it needs to be fixed.

MacPro, 10.7.5, MC 6.5.4.2 MacBook Pro, 10.8.5, MC 7.0.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 11 2014 11:19 AM In reply to

• Fri, Jul 11 2014 2:39 PM In reply to

Can all of you confirm this issue still exists?  And with which versions of software?

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Fri, Jul 11 2014 2:51 PM In reply to

We're running v5.5 on a MacBook Pro running OS 10.9.4 and v6 on a Mac Pro running OS 10.7.5. The issue exists on both systems.

• Fri, Mar 20 2015 7:35 PM In reply to

Still happening in 8.3. Also applies to "Take" column.
    Is there a fix or workaround for this? I'd like to conserve my "Comments" column for actual comments...

2010 MacPro 2.26ghz. 32gigs RAM. OSX 10.9.5. MC8.3 with Symphony option. Blackmagic DeckLink HD Extreme 3D+. NVIDIA Quadro 4000. [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 20 2015 7:46 PM In reply to

• DSMaMa
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 29 2012
    • Posts 64
    • Points 765

same here on MC6.0.5. I was able to workaround this by creating a custom "Scene 2" Column and then place my text there.

• Fri, Mar 20 2015 7:47 PM In reply to

Script-based editing shows the take number when you add the group to a script, so it's important that these columns work the way that they do with ungrouped clips.

• Wed, Jul 1 2015 12:12 AM In reply to

Still an issue with Media Composer 8.3.1. I agree with the above poster that this is a huge issue for ScriptSync or script based editing. They appear as white empty boxes.

• Thu, Jul 2 2015 8:51 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,520
    • Points 64,055
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Can anybody using 8.4 check this out to see if it's been fixed (or not).  I'll escalate it if it's still outstanding.

(Sorry, I'm stuck on 7.0.4.4 'cause I need ScriptSync right now.)

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Mon, Aug 3 2015 2:37 PM In reply to

hbrock, any way you can find a colleague offline to check this on an 8.4 system? It would be nice to get this fixed.

• Mon, Aug 3 2015 3:54 PM In reply to

hbrock:

Can anybody using 8.4 check this out to see if it's been fixed (or not).  I'll escalate it if it's still outstanding.

(Sorry, I'm stuck on 7.0.4.4 'cause I need ScriptSync right now.)

It's 100% still happening in 8.4. No scene numbers appear in script mode over group clips. Only single takes.

• Wed, Oct 21 2015 8:23 PM In reply to

Anything happening with this, moderator?

• Sun, Oct 25 2015 1:58 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,520
    • Points 64,055
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

I can report it, but I'm not sure it's a bug or a feature request.  Can anybody remember if this ever worked?  I don't recall ever being able to add scene and take fields to Group clips.  But if it did work and it got broken, I'll be happy to escalate it.

I can see how the naming could get confusing if you're not careful since you need to indicate the "generic" take number and not tie a camera ID into the take field or things could get confusing.  You can name the group clip anything you want and that does show up in Script view and it wouldn't mess up any metadata as it only describes the Group name. 

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller