Latest post Sun, Aug 18 2013 3:08 PM by Sam. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Aug 11 2013 11:11 AM

• Sam
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 19 2008
    • Chatterjee
    • Posts 50
    • Points 705

What should be the project setting for 5D Mark III Full HD H.264 MOV clips in Avid MC 4.0.3

Hi...Friends....

I have to shoot a corporate in Canon 5D Mark III in Full HD i.e. 1920X1080 and then I shall edit it in my little unit equipped with Avid Media Composer 4.0.3 (am still having it...it's stable and most my work is in SD) on Win 7 professional (Sys: core i3, 4GB, 2.5 TB, Quoadro FX 580).

Can anybody tell me what should be the project setting and Video resolution setting in Media Creation.

Earlier I did one project selecting project setting in 1080i wih DNx HD 120 MXF in Video resolution setting. Should i have it changed to 1:1 MXF? 

What i usually to while exporting is to get out of avid with a Quick time reference in native dimension and do the rest of the transcoding and rendering things in Sorensons (Sqeeze 8.5 pro) 

Can anybody shed light on this...please?

Thanks

Samya Chattopahdyay

Core i3, Mbo Intel DH 55 TC; 2.93, 2.93; 12 GB Xion, NVDIA Quoadro FX 580, 2.5 TB, MC 7.0 OS: Win 7 Pro [view my complete system specs]

sam chat

• Tue, Aug 13 2013 3:30 PM In reply to

• dbiok
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 19 2010
    • Germany
    • Posts 43
    • Points 515

Re: What should be the project setting for 5D Mark III Full HD H.264 MOV clips in Avid MC 4.0.3

Hi Sam,

first of all, i think the mp4 from the Canon 5D Mark III is always a progressive source. That's the reason why Canon build the C300, with all broadcast standards and recording in MXFs.

To your question: Set the project to 1080p and take the DNxHD Codec. Always try to get your project settings in line with your files.

mp4 = 1080/50i -> project 1080/50i

mp4 = 1080/50p -> project 1080/50p

and so on.

1:1 mxf (uncompressed) would be wasted bitrate, cause the Mark III records to h.264 and that is a very strong and complex compression. So you can stick with DNxHD and take the advantage of your AdrenalineHD (if you have one, in fact that you stick with MC4 you will probably not have a nitrisdx) to accelerate the footage.

Our workflow for example: if we're getting Canon 5D or 7D files, we AMA them and transcode to XDCamHD422 50MBit. If we know, there will be lot of fx and cc, then we transcode to DNx 120 or 180, instead of XDCam. But it depends on the footage (fast motion, etc).

For the output: we're going the same way. QT-Ref out of MC and let Sorenson do the compression job. But be carefull if you go with XDCamHD. This is a commercial codec and there is no decoding inside Sorenson if you not have installed a XDCamHD codec under windows (for example calibrated{Q}).

Hope this helps, so long & thx

dbiok

[3x MediaComposer 2018.7 @ NitrisDX || HP Z800 Workstation (Dual XEON X5570) || Win10 64Bit] - [1x Symphony 2018.7 @ NitrisDX || HP Z800 Workstation (Dual... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Aug 18 2013 3:08 PM In reply to

• Sam
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 19 2008
    • Chatterjee
    • Posts 50
    • Points 705

Re: What should be the project setting for 5D Mark III Full HD H.264 MOV clips in Avid MC 4.0.3

Hi Dbiok....

A real pleasure to find your valuable advice.

What I did (I have finished the edit and delivered) is I had craeted the project in 1080p setting.

In the 'media creation' I set the codec in DNxHD 120. The clips are .mov and not MP4.I didn't have to do CC a much...

When I went out of Avid after eh edit was over, I exported the time line creating Quicktime Movie with H.264.

I had tried Anmation and Photo JPG..but the file size was too heavy....wouldn't have been convenient for my client. The output came out well and I even converted that into an MP4 using Sorenson. Sorenson has DNxHd codec in it helped.

Thanks for your reply again.

Cheers

Sam

Core i3, Mbo Intel DH 55 TC; 2.93, 2.93; 12 GB Xion, NVDIA Quoadro FX 580, 2.5 TB, MC 7.0 OS: Win 7 Pro [view my complete system specs]

sam chat

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller