Latest post Mon, Aug 19 2013 11:57 PM by danajstrom. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Aug 19 2013 6:35 PM

• danajstrom
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 19 2013
    • Posts 2
    • Points 20

Fast Switching Clips in Composer window? (Clip Name Menu)

Hi, 

Does anyone have any helpful tips for switching between clips/sequences in the Composer windows?

Basically, I want a quick way to jump between recently loaded clips on the Source side because I'm concstantly jumping between a small handful of clips... additionally, I like to pull selects from camera sources into different sequences: i.e. Selects sequences and Sound Byte sequences. It's very straight forward and not having to reach for the mouse every time I want to switch back to a source I had loaded a few seconds ago would be ideal. 

Filed under: ,
  • Mon, Aug 19 2013 11:02 PM In reply to

Re: Fast Switching Clips in Composer window? (Clip Name Menu)

Put a whole bunch of source clips into a sequence.  Load the "source" sequence into the source monitor, by dragging it in.

Map the "Display Source/Record in Timeline" toggle to a keyboard shortcut, if you want.  That way, you can easily move around the source sequence clip to clip, and know what clip you're looking at.

From there, once you have all your sources in the source monitor, a destination sequences loaded up in the composer, and the Source/Record timeline toggle mapped to the keyboard, you're set for mouse-free operation for quite a while!

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Aug 19 2013 11:57 PM In reply to

• danajstrom
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 19 2013
    • Posts 2
    • Points 20

Re: Fast Switching Clips in Composer window? (Clip Name Menu)

Thanks for the very prompt response!

That's pretty much what I'm doing now... I feel validated that I had basically the same idea.Cool

I've also rigged up a clunky bit of a solution: I've assigned the Clipboard Monitor to a key, so I can at least have two sources at a finger's reach at a time... this helps.

What I was really wishing for was something that would speed up creating those "source sequences" you mention. Basically have multiple sequences at the ready at a time. I have hours of footage to cull through which is sort-of fly-on-the-wall where I want to seperate the action bits from the sound bytes into respective "source" sequences to later edit from, feels very cumbersome to load up the same two sequences every seven seconds. It would be nice to just quickly tab-up or down the list in the Clip Name Menu with a keystroke on the record side (I'm envisioning the way OSX lets you Command+Tab or arrow through applications in the order last used... I know, it's a pretty specific, lofty request)

Is there a way to perhaps assign a specific sequence to load up on a keystroke?

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller