Latest post Mon, Oct 7 2013 6:02 AM by Job ter Burg. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Oct 6 2013 12:52 AM

24K Raw footage ----> Avid Media Composer 7

Hello,

i am working on a project that was shot on the Black Magic Camera. This camera shoots in a large .dng format, and I was wondering if anyone knew the spec settings I would need set up on Avid to set this up, and transcode to the dnx36 format for easy use, and then up Rez to dnx115 when I am finished. 

Please let let me know if anyone can help me understand how to work with this gigantic 24K footage. 

Thanks so much!

Best,

Kyle 

2.66 GHz Intel Core i5, 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3, Media Composer 7.0.0 Interplay Edition [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Oct 6 2013 1:21 AM In reply to

Re: 24K Raw footage ----> Avid Media Composer 7

Did your BM camera came with a Copy of Resolve?

Assuming it did open a Resolve project for the right format for your media (24K?????)
    Point Resovle at the folder with your media in it and bring the media in.
    Go to the output page
    Select Round trip to Avid
    Setup the media to be DNxHD 36 (though I would go straight to 115 unless you plan to colour grade back in Resolve)

Render the media to a "number only" name folder
    When rendered drag the AAF from the numbered folder to your desktop
    Drag the numbered folder into an Avid MediaFiles\MXF\ folder on your media drive.

Open Avid and open a bin. Import the AAF from your desktop.
    All your media will populate the bin.

• Sun, Oct 6 2013 1:59 PM In reply to

Andrew, 

Thank you so much, that info really helped. Now, my AE is actually the one having this transcode done, and he sent me this response after checking out your solution. A bit more of your knowledge and input would be required, but it would truly be appreciated.

Below this is his questions. Please respond as best as you can. 

Thanks again,

Kyle

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Excellent! 
    Though here is the lead into one of my main questions, Kyle: before I can actually do the output (ie before I can enact the instructions you gave me below ), I must drag the footage to a window to initially import the footage into Davinci resolve.  After the import  this window, I then can select a button that allows me to do the transcode.
    My question is: I need to set the actual project settings before I do the import, even before I set the output settings to do the instructions you gave. So essentially there are two sets of settings I need to create. What initial project settings do I use? There is no drop-down menu that includes a DNX HD 36 file. 

When I drag the footage to the window for the import , I get a pop-up that says the project settings do not match the settings of the footage. I.e., 2.5 K raw.
    What do I do? I am worried that the initial footage imported in to resolve won't be correct. Which could potentially cause problems after the footage is transcoding, down the line.
    2.66 GHz Intel Core i5, 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3, Media Composer 7.0.0 Interplay Edition [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Oct 6 2013 2:41 PM In reply to

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Oct 6 2013 10:01 PM In reply to

Hello,

No, we have not read the document, but after looking through it now, I cannot find the answer to the last question posted by my AE above. Would you possibly have a solution, or am I just missing it in this document?

• Sun, Oct 6 2013 11:57 PM In reply to

What camera? You twice state 24K but I would assume 4K is meant.

The BM 4K camera records at 3840 x 2160 or  1920x1080.

So if this is your camera you would open a new Project in Resolve using 3840pixels by 2160 pixels and at the Frame rate it was shot at (23.98 or 24 or 25 or 30 FPS) You must so this this first as Resolve basis all of it's scaling on the input file size setting. Your camera people should know what frame size they shot.

With the Project open you need to tell Resolve the Folder(s) that contain your footage and select the "Folder and files" option  (exact wording for the open option and tab that you do it in is dependant on which version of Resolve you are running)

Kylerbradley:
    I am worried that the initial footage imported in to resolve won't be correct.
    Resolve does not import the files it just points the project at them. So you must have the Project settings correct

Kylerbradley:
    What initial project settings do I use? There is no drop-down menu that includes a DNX HD 36 file. 
    The DNxHD options  are set in your output (render settings) options. Choosing Round trip to Avid will insure the files are named appropriately for Avid

There were a couple of demo's on the Black Magic sites Resolve 10 pages that showed the whole of this process.

• Mon, Oct 7 2013 1:27 AM In reply to

Andrew,

Thanks for all the help. For some reason I had put 24K accidentally meaning 24fps, and 2K RAW. Not sure how this happened, but I believe we have sufficient information now to correctly have the footage set up in Resolve and be compatible with Avid. 

I will post again if there are any other issues, but I thank you for the time and help in understanding.

Best,

Kyle

• Mon, Oct 7 2013 6:02 AM In reply to

Kylerbradley:

Hello,

No, we have not read the document, but after looking through it now, I cannot find the answer to the last question posted by my AE above. Would you possibly have a solution, or am I just missing it in this document?

That last Q is best answered by the Resolve manual. Also, if you are using the Lite version, that only outputs HD anyway.

then, you mention 24fps. Make sure that you are sure that it is either 24.000fps or 23.976fps. Does make a difference.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller