Latest post Thu, Mar 31 2016 11:12 AM by Jasper Quispel. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Oct 23 2013 10:40 PM

• svroque
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 28
    • Points 445

Motion Effect Autosync EDL Problem

Hi, I'm working on 24 fps show where they shot a whole bunch of footage at 120 fps with sync sound (there's lots of dialogue in these clips). For the editors, I provided the original slow motion 120 fps footage but then created 24 fps sync sound versions by applying a 500% motion effect to the clips, cutting them into a sequence and syncing the sound, and then finally using Autosync to create a synced 24 fps subclip. However, when trying to pull an edl, my 500% motion effect does not appear in the edl for the 24 fps clips I created. The source in and out for the clips is correct, however I'm missing the M2 line in the edl. When our online editor brings in the edl, the 24 fps shots come in at 120 fps without the motion effect. It appears when I used the Autosync command, Avid removed any notion of a motion effect being applied to the clip. Does anyone know of a way I can get Avid to recognize that there's a motion effect in these clips? FYI, we're using MC 5.5.3.6. Thanks!

Stephen

• Fri, Oct 25 2013 5:20 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,536
    • Points 64,265
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Motion Effect Autosync EDL Problem

Have you tried using a AAF rather than a EDL?

It kinda makes sense that any motion effect would be removed from a AutoSync clip.  You could do a video mixdown first and then autosync off the mixdown media which would have the speed change baked in but that only works if you can use your final resolution rather than a offline/online workflow.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Fri, Oct 25 2013 8:00 AM In reply to

Sounds like a bug, as I don't recall that AutoSync ever could be applied to clips with fx on them. Can you matchframe to the originals? Do the motion fx show up in the sequence at all? Do you see proper TC counting going on when going through those clip?

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Oct 25 2013 1:41 PM In reply to

• svroque
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 28
    • Points 445

So we did try an AAF and unfortunately that didn't work either. Thanks for the suggestion though. But Autosync can be applied to a motion effect or a clip with the timewarp effect on it. In the sequence, the clip doesn't have a motion effect icon applied to it. Avid just sees it as a regular sublcip without any effects which is the problem. I can match frame back to the orignal motion effect but I need to have the bin that the motion effect was created in open first. In our case, I'm taking 120 fps shots and applying a 500% motion effect to them, and then Autosyncing them. In the timeline, these new clips show the correct source time code in that every single frame move in the timeline results in my source jumping 5 frames. The edl has the proper source code as well, it's just missing the M2 line that tells the online edit machine that a motion effect need to be applied.

Stephen

• Fri, Oct 25 2013 3:26 PM In reply to

svroque:
    Autosync can be applied to a motion effect or a clip with the timewarp effect on it
    I just tried this in v7.0.2 and I can reproduce. I know that it used to be impossible to have AutoSync clips with effects on them. This may have changed with motion adapters etc.

Funny enough, the source window's timeline DOES show the effect, once added to the record monitor the effect does not appear on the timeline (even though the clips plays at the higher speed). EDL does indeed generate correct start TC but not the right speed.

Will try to escalate over the weekend.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Oct 25 2013 8:06 PM In reply to

• svroque
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 28
    • Points 445

Thanks for looking into this Job! I never noticed that the motion effect was present when the clip was in the source window.

Stephen

• Thu, Mar 26 2015 4:31 PM In reply to

Hi guys, hey Job!

This is still not being fixed in the latest version is it? I have a project with a lot of 50fps that also needs to be used as 25fps (with sound) so would be great if these subclips would come over as a speed up in the edl. Now EDL/aaf won't recognize it as an motion effect.

Cheers,

Jasper

Mac Pro late 2013 3,5 Ghz 6-Core, 64Gb, OSX 10.10.5, Avid MC 8.4, Blackmagic Ultrastudio Express Macbook Pro retina 2012 15 inch i7, 16Gb, OSX 10.10.5... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 31 2016 9:23 AM In reply to

• Marty
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 3 2005
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 934
    • Points 10,930

Hello, is there any solution for this, yet?

Another thing is when you have sequences with motion effect subclips that were created with timewarp effects and view them as thumbnails in the bin ("Frame View"), it becomes very slow. It's working in "Text View" and "Script View" but there is a problem with "Frame View" and sequences with motion effect subclips.

More and more footage is shot at double speed just to have the flexibility to use speedchanges. But it wants to be treated as realtime footage with synced sound. How do other users handle that?

all different setups in various editing suites. my own: MC 2018.2, OSX 10.12.6, iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), 4,2 GHz Intel Core i7, 40GB RAM, Radeon... [view my complete system specs]

www.film-editing.de

• Thu, Mar 31 2016 11:12 AM In reply to

Last time I checked this with a posthouse they said aaf worked, edl didn't have the speed change information.

Mac Pro late 2013 3,5 Ghz 6-Core, 64Gb, OSX 10.10.5, Avid MC 8.4, Blackmagic Ultrastudio Express Macbook Pro retina 2012 15 inch i7, 16Gb, OSX 10.10.5... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller