Latest post Mon, Oct 28 2013 12:32 PM by Kenton.VanNatten. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Oct 27 2013 11:04 AM

• OllyL
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Oct 27 2013
    • Posts 7
    • Points 115

How do I create a very high res Quicktime from re-linked AMA footage?

I am cutting on MC 6.5.2 on a Windows 7, 64bit system.  I've taken footage from my XDCAM Sony PMW200, transcoded at 10:1 to edit, and then relinked the finished sequence using AMA.  So I am looking at a relinked AMA sequence that is referring to the original media, and that is working fine. 

I need to export this sequence at the highest quality possible, ideally to a ProRes quicktime or similar (basically anything that can play in VLC for a big projection), and had hoped I could export the sequence as a Quicktime with "same as source" in the options.  I have also installed the DNX HD codecs.  However, I'm encountering a number of problems.

First, I select the sequence for export, and select "Send to Quicktime Movie".  Colour levels to 601/709 and AR set to Native Dimension.  But when I try and export with "Same As Source" selected, I get the following message:

No valid resolution found to be exported using same as source.  Please check your project format (project type, raster, dimension, etc.) to ensure the resolution is valid.  Or you can select a custom resolution or transcode to a valid resolution first.

I really have no idea how to address this first issue, and am not sure if another transcode process would be helpful?  

Second, if I change the export settings to a "Custom" and insert 1920x1080 as the size, I am allowed to enter some more options in the "Standard Video Compression Settings" dialogue.  The best (I thought) being the Avid DNxHD Codec, which I set up as follows:

Compression Type:  Avid DNxHD Codec

Motion Frame Rate:  Current

Compressor:  Millions of COlors+

Color levels:  709

Data Rate: this is dimmed and selected to Automatic and Optimized for "Download".  I cannot change this(?!)

Resolutions:  Here I have many options....

...but no matter what resolution I set (bottom left), the image quality is always marked as "medium", and get a clearly low resolution image. 

Feeling pretty stumped.  Any ideas?  Please speak to me like a six year old as I'm already out of my depth.  Am guessing there must be another codec to download or something.

Thanks!

Filed under: , ,
  • Sun, Oct 27 2013 11:45 AM In reply to

Re: How do I create a very high res Quicktime from re-linked AMA footage?

Hi,

I would absolutely skip any 'Custom' settings, as they will use the QT encoder, which is slow and often causes issues with certain codecs.

If I were you I would do a Video Mixdown of your finished sequence. The target resolution should be your delivery resolution. So if you're on Mac you could choose Apple ProRes when mixing down. Or a high bandwidth DNxHD codec. Your choice. Both should look great. Don't be tempted to use any of the 'x' codecs, they are 10-bit but that will not be of use to you if your source footage is 8-bit.

Then duplicate your sequence, have the video mixdown replace all other video tracks, then export Same As Source. This will be a fairly fast export, as no rendering or transcoding is happening. This process will just copy all the bits from your mixdown (which at file level is an MXF mediafile) into a Quicktime container. It's a re-wrapping, not a re-encode, so it's fast and you will not lose any quality.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Oct 27 2013 3:51 PM In reply to

• OllyL
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 115

Hi Job, thanks so much for the quick reply.  I've just tried that, and I there's something not right.

When I set up the video mixdown, I only get the option to set the following MXF resolutions:

DV25411 MXF

DV25 420 MXF

J2K PALi 25 MXF

15:1s MXF

10:1m MXF

4:1m [and various other resolutions until]

2.1s MXF

VCI-APL0 MXF

VCI - APL2 MXF

MPEG30 MXF

MPEG40 MXF

MPEG 50 MXF

1:1 MXF

1:110b MXF

Is there something else I could be doing to get a higher resolution mixdown?

I'm on a PC by the way.

Many thanks.

Olly

• Sun, Oct 27 2013 4:53 PM In reply to

• Jojo Likar
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Nov 26 2011
    • Austria
    • Posts 60
    • Points 715

Hi!

check if your project settings ar at an HD resolution.

Media Composer 2018.2 | Win 7 64-bit | BMD Decklink Mini Monitor 4K | Intel i7-6800K | X99-EWS | 64 GB RAM | GTX 970 | Artist Control & Transport ... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Oct 27 2013 6:15 PM In reply to

You can't use Same As Source with AMA linked material because the "source" codec is not native to Avid, that's why you're getting that original error.

As for the resolution options you're seeing, flip your project format to HD as suggested.  10:1 is an SD resolution and great for your offline. But, to get HD resolution options you need to be in an HD project.  

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Sun, Oct 27 2013 7:05 PM In reply to

First flip your project format to HD. Then you might even be able to export Same As Source if the footage is in XDCAM-HD, not sure if 6.5 allows that. If not, do the mixdown.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Oct 27 2013 8:31 PM In reply to

• OllyL
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 115

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions, this is all making sense.  

The flip to HD project does a lot, and that allows me to do a video mixdown and export from there with much better codecs, so thanks for that solution!

However, any thoughts on this:  When the project is flipped to 1080p/25 (it was shot HD in 25p), I tried to do a straight export of the AMA linked sequence, and got the following error message:

"Long GOP media can not be exported using same as source.  Please select a custome resolution or transcode to an I-frame only resolution instead."

What on earth does that mean?!  

Thanks again for all your help, really appreciated.

Olly

• Sun, Oct 27 2013 9:23 PM In reply to

OllyL:

I tried to do a straight export of the AMA linked sequence, and got the following error message:

"Long GOP media can not be exported using same as source.  Please select a custome resolution or transcode to an I-frame only resolution instead."

What on earth does that mean?! 

It means what I said above.  You can't export AMA or any other LongGOP media as Same As Source.  Same As Source means "use the same codec as the source footage for the codec of the exported file".  You can only export to a native codec.  If your source is not in a native codec, you can't export it as SAS.   Search these forums and the internet for deeper explanation. 

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

• Mon, Oct 28 2013 9:25 AM In reply to

• OllyL
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 115

Ah that works a treat - thanks everyone for the help, much appreciated. 

For the video mixdown, I used DNxHD 185 MXF, although other resolutions were offered.  (There was a DNxHD 185x, which struggled to play, and I'm guessing that things like DNx 120  and 1:1 mxf won't be as good?).  

Baffled by why it refused to do a video mixdown using "XDCAM HD 50Mbits MXF" given that the original shootage was shot on an XDCAM camera at 50Mbits.  

But anyway, it's all working, and thanks once again for talking me through it.

Olly

• Mon, Oct 28 2013 9:37 AM In reply to

Like I wrote before, don't use the 'x'-resolutions, they are for 10bit sources. Using them on 8-bit sources is a waste of bandwidth.

• Mon, Oct 28 2013 11:52 AM In reply to

Job ter Burg:

Like I wrote before, don't use the 'x'-resolutions, they are for 10bit sources. Using them on 8-bit sources is a waste of bandwidth.

the bandwidth is the same (DNX185X is still 185mbps as is regular DNX185)

So using the X 10 bit resolution for 185 actually means you are using more compression to squeeze 10 bits into the same space as 8.

Those lower 2 bits will of course be 0s so that may compress well but it isn't going to make things any better and potentially worse.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Mon, Oct 28 2013 12:03 PM In reply to

• OllyL
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 115

Hi Job, ah, I see, thanks for explaining.  The 185 looks very good, so problem solved. 

Many thanks.

Olly

• Mon, Oct 28 2013 12:32 PM In reply to

OllyL:

Ah that works a treat - thanks everyone for the help, much appreciated. 

For the video mixdown, I used DNxHD 185 MXF, although other resolutions were offered.  (There was a DNxHD 185x, which struggled to play, and I'm guessing that things like DNx 120  and 1:1 mxf won't be as good?).  

Baffled by why it refused to do a video mixdown using "XDCAM HD 50Mbits MXF" given that the original shootage was shot on an XDCAM camera at 50Mbits.  

But anyway, it's all working, and thanks once again for talking me through it.

Olly

1:1 is no compression at all.  It is the best, but it's very taxing on a system and uses a ton of disk space.  No one I know uses it.

the numbers in the DNxHD resolutions are their bit rates.  185 means 185Mb/s.  As said above, 185X means it is the 10-bit version.

xdcam is a LongGOP format.  If you Mixdown to that resolution and attempt to export you'll be faced with the same message.  That's the reason you have to Mixdown to a DNxHD resolution before exporting. 

Adding: if you Google any error messages you might receive you'll get loads of results.  Most of the info anyone has given in this thread has been previously covered on these forums and the internet in general for at least 5 years. 

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller