Latest post Wed, Jan 24 2018 2:16 PM by Pat Horridge. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Oct 29 2013 10:50 PM

• Indyreel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 1 2010
    • Posts 70
    • Points 1,210

Can I change mono audio tracks to stereo?

As a newbie with Avid MC5 I foolishly put all my audio onto mono tracks.  Is there a way to convert the mono tracks to stereo.

Thanks

• Wed, Oct 30 2013 7:55 AM In reply to

Re: Can I change mono audio tracks to stereo?

You can modify the source audio to be stereo by right clicking and choosing modify then choose multi channel audio.

Then the track will only edit into a stereo track in your sequence.

You can split stereo tracks in your sequence to mono but you can't make mono tracks into stereo.

You need to modify the source clisp and then add stereo tracks and edit into them.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Thu, Oct 31 2013 7:30 AM In reply to

Just beware, changing clips that are already in the timeline can result in the PGLUE error, you then would have to make sure to replace the 'old' clips with the modified ones.

i7 3.4 GHz | Asus HERO Z170 | 32GB Ram | Quadro k620 | Intensity Pro 4K | WIN7 64bit Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 5 2018 2:37 PM In reply to

• Miguel Cunha
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 1 2012
    • Braga, Portugal
    • Posts 15
    • Points 170

Idea [I] Re: Can I change mono audio tracks to stereo?

I think that the idea is to be able to simply "merge" 2 mono tracks into 1 stereo track, in the timeline, without the need to change multitrack settings and applicable to ay kind of clip, regardless if it is a linked clip, or imported.

Unfortunately, to my knowledge, right now, Media Composer (I'm working with version 8.8.5) doesn't have a feature to perform this operation. If it does, please let me know. If not, please consider it in a future update.

Meanwhile, I found a workaround and it serves my needs. Of course, the more complex the editing, the longer it will the procedure take - which is why I think this "merge tracks" (or whatever you want to call it) is mandatory.

You can consult the workaround here.

Media Composer 8.8.5 | Pro Tools 11.3.1 | macOS 10.11.6 | iMac 21,5" - Core i7 - 3,1 GHz - 16 GB RAM - nVidia 650M 512 MB VRAM | Caldigit AV Drive... [view my complete system specs]

Miguel Cunha

• Fri, Jan 5 2018 3:14 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,380
    • Points 43,615
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

A much faster method is to use an audio mixdown to multiple mixes (Timeline->Mixdown->Audio->Multiple Mixes) into a new sequence. This brings up a dialog with each track with a selection box. At the bottom is the channel (channel 1) to which the selected tracks will be mixed. By default it's a mono track. You can click on that channel to make it into a stereo channel. Select two audio tracks and they will map into a setero channel. Also at the bottom is the button to add channels. Click on that and a second set of track selection boxes show up. Change channel 2 to stereo, and select the tracks. Repeat as necessary.

This does not involve any rendering. You just end up with a new sequence with the tracks mapped as you want.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Fri, Jan 5 2018 6:20 PM In reply to

• Miguel Cunha
    • Not Ranked
    • Braga, Portugal
    • Posts 15
    • Points 170

It's true that you do, in fact, get a stereo audio track with everithing included, but it's not editable. You loose the every cut, every effect, every plug-in, volume and pan controls of the original media and pretty much everything you could do with the original 2 mono tracks. 

On the other hand, if you need to keep track and control (ex: trimming a clip, remove an effect or do a remix), using the method I linked in my previous post, you still can manipulate the original media, instead of a mixdown which, as the name implies, generates a new clip with new media files, according to the edits, effects and mixes of the mono tracks.

I can't tweak the components of a mixdown, only the mixdown itself. In order to do that, which is what I want, I need to access the original media and operations (edits, effects, mixes) I performed on them. This is the main reason why I don't use mixdowns.

Avid could extend the mixdown parameters in order to meet this paricular need: to preserve every original media, edit, effect, plug-in, mix and every other kind of operation I might be overlooking, generating an editable stereo track.

Media Composer 8.8.5 | Pro Tools 11.3.1 | macOS 10.11.6 | iMac 21,5" - Core i7 - 3,1 GHz - 16 GB RAM - nVidia 650M 512 MB VRAM | Caldigit AV Drive... [view my complete system specs]

Miguel Cunha

• Fri, Jan 5 2018 8:02 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,380
    • Points 43,615
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Miguel Cunha:
    I can't tweak the components of a mixdown, only the mixdown itself. In order to do that, which is what I want, I need to access the original media and operations (edits, effects, mixes) I performed on them. This is the main reason why I don't use mixdowns.

OK, I see what you're getting at. You're not generating new stereo clips; you're replacing the dual mono clips with the equivalent stereo clips, and you want top keep the effects etc. of the dual mono clips on the stereo clip.

There are some good technical reasons why this is unlikely to be implemented. In your case, you probably have exactly the same plug-in and effects on both the left and right clips, This could be converted to the equivalent stereo clip with the same plug-in applied. But consider what would happen if you had 1 plug-in the left channel and a different plug-in on the right, or even the same plug-in with different parameters. Effects are clip based (or track based), not channel based. You either end up with both plug-ins applied to both channels, neither one applied, or have to render each channel before making the stereo clip. MC is not a digitial audio workstation; it's simply not designed to do this kind of audio manipulation.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Tue, Jan 9 2018 5:37 PM In reply to

• Miguel Cunha
    • Not Ranked
    • Braga, Portugal
    • Posts 15
    • Points 170

DStone:

OK, I see what you're getting at. You're not generating new stereo clips; you're replacing the dual mono clips with the equivalent stereo clips, and you want top keep the effects etc. of the dual mono clips on the stereo clip.

Exactly! No more, nor less.

DStone:

There are some good technical reasons why this is unlikely to be implemented. In your case, you probably have exactly the same plug-in and effects on both the left and right clips, This could be converted to the equivalent stereo clip with the same plug-in applied.

Yes, that's the situation.

I was thinking in some simple, much like collapsing 2 video tracks together. Sometimes people forget or don't know how to setup the mulichannel audio to stereo and they edit a stereo track as 2 mono tracks. On top of that, sometimes they forget to gang those 2 tracks together and berfore realize, they have a lot clips out of sync.

DStone:

But consider what would happen if you had 1 plug-in the left channel and a different plug-in on the right, or even the same plug-in with different parameters. Effects are clip based (or track based), not channel based. You either end up with both plug-ins applied to both channels, neither one applied, or have to render each channel before making the stereo clip.

With your explanation, I'm beginning to understand the implications of such an operattion and imagine the difficulties of its implementation, but that's not what I'm after. I do infact want to apply every effect, plug-in and edit to both tracks.

DStone:
    MC is not a digitial audio workstation; it's simply not designed to do this kind of audio manipulation.

The idea is to simply "glue" the 2 tracks together as one, as they should be. There could be a option to collapse audio tracks, the way it's done with video tracks, or to group them. Nothing fancy like a DAW or Pro Tools, with renderings or any complex manipulation.

Miguel Cunha

• Wed, Jan 24 2018 1:29 PM In reply to

• Miguel Cunha
    • Not Ranked
    • Braga, Portugal
    • Posts 15
    • Points 170

To make crystal clear what I mean by joining 2 mono tracks into 1 stereo track, knowing that MC is not a DAW, it should be able to perform this simple operation, as explaned here.

Miguel Cunha

• Wed, Jan 24 2018 2:16 PM In reply to

That links for Protools which beng a DAW can do those sorts of functions.

In MC you can't do that. There are a lot of audio functions you can't do. And lots you can do.

You could mix down 2 mono tracks to make a fresh new stereo track but that would give you one flatterned track.

Or as mentioned modify the audio tracks as master clips and recut into a sequence stereo track.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller