Latest post Fri, Nov 29 2013 9:58 PM by liam_le_guillou@hotmail.com. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Nov 26 2013 5:29 AM

Export to conform in DaVinci problems.

v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} Normal 0 false false false false EN-US JA X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} Normal 0 false false false false EN-US JA X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

Thanks in advance for taking time to look at this puzzle that I have! 

I have a problem exporting my sequence in order to an online conform for DaVinci Resolve.

There are two main problems:

1)   I can’t get  all of the original media online to export an EDL

2)   The media that I do get online doesn’t have Time-code:

First a bit of background to the media and project:

·      It was shot on Red and the original R3D files were transcoded to Pro-Res files for editing on FCP

·      That editor fell through and I used Avid’s AMA tool to link to the pro-res files to edit Sound Sync Bins and a rough cut  sequence.

·      The rough cut went to a new editor, who found the AMA to clunky to work with and he re-transcoded my Sound Sync Sequences and Rough Cut to Avid DNxHD. (This created  .new.01 file extensions to most clips.)

·      The edit was completed with these files and it’s this that I’m having trouble exporting an EDL with Time-code from. 

Problem No 1:

In order to get the Sequence to link back to the original Pro Res media, I did the following:

·      I took the DNxHD media offline by re-naming the Avid media files folder.

·      Right clicked the sequence and selected “relink”

·      Clicked link to: “Selected items in all open bins”

·      And only have the original Transcoded (Pro Res files) Bin open.

This created a new Sequence and lots BUT not all of the media came back online.

As an example I took a few clips from the sequence as a test here:

1) This is the offline clips before “relink” note .new.01 extension

Description: Macintosh HD:Users:liamleguillou:Desktop:relink test 1.png

3)   After Relink to the original Pro-res media some came online but not all. What’s strange is these clips were from the same shooting Mag and same scene etc. No obvious reason why one’s online and one isn’t.

Description: Macintosh HD:Users:liamleguillou:Desktop:relink test 2.png

Problem 2:

I decided to test the EDL export anyway, but it did not have ANY time-code info for any of the clips not just the offline ones?

This is what I did:

·      High-lighted the new sequence and clicked “output” in the menu bar

·      Selecting EDL and then the EDL manager menu pops up selecting – File – “Get current sequence”

The EDL manager then brings up the EDL info and this is where my main problem occurs. NONE of the clips have time-code info:   

Description: Macintosh HD:Users:liamleguillou:Desktop:Screen Shot 2013-11-26 at 12.03.50 AM.png

One suggestion is that because my edited clips / sound sync clips were at one point re-transcoded from the Pro-res files to Avid DNxHD its somehow trying to Link “Forward” to that transcode rather than linking back to the original ProRes files.

So I’m kind of desperate now for some help…

1)   Why does some but not all media re-link

2)   Where on earth is the timecode!?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Liam.  

• Tue, Nov 26 2013 7:13 AM In reply to

Re: Export to conform in DaVinci problems.

Sounds like you need a good Post House to unpick it.

Failing that do the source clips show as having timecode in the sequence? And is that on the main TC or is it in Aux TC?

You need to test a selection of clips from start to finish. Identiy a selection of clips that aren't linking and some that are.

Take those original ProRes clips by name and check they have the correct timecode info. If they don;t then the original transcode to proRes was the issue and you are prretty much done for...

If they are ok then compare them with the Avid Transcoded clips. check timecodes match as well as source file name and path.

Basically you should be able to make a test seq using the original ProRes clips and output an EDL then move that forwards as the workflow progressed until you find what the issue is.

This is what Post houses do all day as so many folks produce convuluted untested workflows and have very similar issues.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Tue, Nov 26 2013 4:50 PM In reply to

Hi Pat, 

Thanks very much for getting in touch, unfortunately we dont have very much money to bring in a post house right now. 

So,  I did a test clip as you suggested and might have a clue and/or a question. 

I put three clips into a sequence and did a re-link test. 2 remained unlinked and one DID link back. 

I right clicked on each one to "Get info" and there was a difference, 

The One that DOES link back, has mark in and mark out TC information. (as well as in and out points) 

The ones that don't link back don't show this information. 

Now I would have guessed that means some of the clips don't have timecode and we're "done for" but the only strange thing is that both of these clips were transcoded on the same day and with the same process. So I'm not sure how TC could have suddenly been lost?  Is there a way timecode might have been switched off at some point after the files were created??

Thanks so much for your help. 

Liam

• Tue, Nov 26 2013 5:03 PM In reply to

liam_le_guillou@hotmail.com:
    The ones that don't link back don't show this information. 
    Could you repeat this test but before you do Make sure you have match Frame mapped to your keyboard. Then step through your timeline edits Pressing match frame at each edit point on a clip that does not work. This will open each of those clips in the source window WITH a Mark in set on the clip. Then re test the export ... conform

If the above does not work like that can you open the clip that does work and remove the Mark out and see if that stops it from relinking.

• Tue, Nov 26 2013 5:34 PM In reply to

Hi Andrew, 

Thanks for this test. 

I clicked on every edit, used match back, saw that a new input was set and did the test again. With exactly the same results, one of the clips doesnt not link back in the timeline and only one of them has any TC info when exported as an EDL. 

I repeated with all the in and out points removed from each clip and got an identical outcome as above. 

:-/

• Tue, Nov 26 2013 7:38 PM In reply to

Hi Liam, It seems that the In and out points were a red herring.

Have you tried using an AAF export from Avid rather than an EDL?

FWIW I find that AAF's work better for me than EDL's.

With Resolve you can bring in a guide video and then use split screen to go along your timeline and Edit in or replace shots as required. Could be a reasonable LAST resort workaround

• Tue, Nov 26 2013 9:01 PM In reply to

+1 on the AAF solution.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Fri, Nov 29 2013 9:58 PM In reply to

Hi,

Thanks Guys, yes I think AAF is the right way to go, the reason why we moved away from it was becuase it wasn't giving us the right timecode. Now I think its a relinking problem I have and not an AAF or EDL export issue. 

The problem is that some of the media relinks in my sequence and some does not with no rhyme or reason, as some is shot on the same day and Mag etc...

Does anyone have any cluse on re-linking to original media? This was the process that got me here: 

1) R3D Files transoded to .Mov proxies.

2) .movs were linked to by AMA

2) .Movs were individually synced to sound in Bins by shoot day. (Each clip laid out in one long sequence of shots for each day) 

3) Clips from the Synced Days, were used/selected by copy and paste to be used in the first rough cut edit sequence.

AT this point all the transcoded .mov media was transcoded again to Avid DNxHD (becuase it was sluggish with the .movs)

4) the final Sequence using the DNxHD files wont relink to the original .MOV files. (Well some do and some don't!?) 

Any ideas? 

And if no ideas... do you haev any ideas in Manhattan where I could go to try and get an Avid expert to look at it?! or is there an Avid paid for help service here? 

Thanks, 

Liam. 

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller