Latest post Tue, Apr 1 2014 9:19 AM by camoscato. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Dec 6 2013 4:41 PM

• dnext
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 6 2009
    • Posts 27
    • Points 360

MC7 to MC5.5 dongle backwards compatible?

We recently purchased the MC7 upgrade, the pre 6.5 to 7 version. Given the transition from our current MC5.5 version (we didn't make the upgrade to 6 and 6.5) where we have all our projects, the ideal situation for us would be to be able to go back to 5.5 if needed until we are confident we've migrated everything to MC7. 

The question. Will an upgrade of our dongle (which we've had 10+ years) to MC7 allow us to go back to 5.5 if needed?

The thought here is to keep our current startup disk with OSX10.6.8 and MC5.5 intact, creating a second startup with 10.8 and MC7, and going back and forth as needed until we've transitioned completely to MC7 which seems doable if the dongle will authorize whichever version we are using. 

Is there a better way to do this? Or do we risk getting ourselves into a situation where the old projects and older software becomes usuable or accessible? Any insights or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Filed under:
  • Fri, Dec 6 2013 4:47 PM In reply to

Re: MC7 to MC5.5 dongle backwards compatible?

The answer is in this thread:

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/120537.aspx

Marianna:

Media Composer 7.0 and NewsCutter 11.0 Dongle Licenses:

• Media Composer 7.0 and NewsCutter 11.0 dongle logic has not changed in this release.  Dongles will enable customers to authorize and run multiple versions back of the software.

• Media Composer 7.0 + Symphony Option authorized dongles will enable a customer to authorize and run multiple versions back of Symphony.  Only 6.0.4 and 6.5.3 has been modified to understand the Symphony Option bit on the dongle. Anything older will not launch Symphony.

• Customers who wish to run previous versions of Media Composer, Symphony or NewsCutter should either uninstall their v7.0/v11.0 software and then install full versions of 6.0.4/6.5.3 or 10.0.4/10.5.3, respectively, or install the patch versions of 6.0.4/6.5.3 or 10.4./10.5.3 on top of the current Media Composer 6.0.x/6.0.5.x, Symphony 6.0.x/6.5.x, or NewsCutter 10.0.x/10.5.x. 

Media Composer 2018.12.2 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, Dec 6 2013 5:26 PM In reply to

• Miles Young
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Dec 6 2013
    • NYC/NC
    • Posts 5
    • Points 65

So if I'm reading this correctly, dnext should be good to go with his/her plan to run both versions on different startup drives using the current dongle? 

I'm in the exact same situation EXCEPT I don't use a dongle-- I'm using software licensing. If I want to run MC5.5.3.7 on one hard drive, and MC7.0.3 (when it's released) on another, will that be possible? 

camoscato, I see in the thread you linked to that the solution may be to update my MC5.5.3.7 system to 6.0.4 and then activate it with my MC7 activation ID. But further down in the thread, it seems that the 5.5.4 update may have fixed that backward incompatibility in the SYM option when using a dongle. Do you know if the 5.5.4 update will fix allow that in my case with software licensing? 

Thanks for all knowledge shared here...

• Fri, Dec 6 2013 6:01 PM In reply to

My understanding is that the current software licensing allows one version back in terms of license support.

So from V7 you should be able to run V6.5 but not V6.0 or V5.5

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Fri, Dec 6 2013 6:03 PM In reply to

Miles Young:
    So if I'm reading this correctly, dnext should be good to go with his/her plan to run both versions on different startup drives using the current dongle? 

Yes.

Miles Young:
    I see in the thread you linked to that the solution may be to update my MC5.5.3.7 system to 6.0.4 and then activate it with my MC7 activation ID. But further down in the thread, it seems that the 5.5.4 update may have fixed that backward incompatibility in the SYM option when using a dongle. Do you know if the 5.5.4 update will fix allow that in my case with software licensing? 

I know the 5.5.4 update allows you to open 7.0 bins, but I can't find anything (other than the post you mentioned) that says a 7.0 dongle will work with 5.5.4.  I'll ask Marianna to chime in to confirm.

Media Composer 2018.12.2 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

• Fri, Dec 6 2013 6:21 PM In reply to

• dnext
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 27
    • Points 360

Just want to say how much I appreciate everyone's help on this. We've got the .avd file ready to update our dongle to MC7 but don't want to risk not being able to get back to 5.5 in an emergency. 

• Fri, Dec 6 2013 6:25 PM In reply to

• Adman
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Atlanta Georgia, USA
    • Posts 5,335
    • Points 60,245
    • BlogAuthor
      Moderator: Avid Free DV
      Moderator: Avid Xpress DV PC
      Moderator: Avid Xpress Studio
      Moderator: MCA PC

dnext:

The question. Will an upgrade of our dongle (which we've had 10+ years) to MC7 allow us to go back to 5.5 if needed...

Dongles are backwards compatible (with the exception of Symphony options). Software licensing is not backwards compatible.

Mac Pro. QHD Ultra wide, thunderbolt LG monitor, MC Ultimate 2018.10.0. Pro Tools 11 HD (Mbox 3 Pro), iPad Pro 12.9". 17" Macbook Pro i7. Dell... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Dec 6 2013 6:52 PM In reply to

• Miles Young
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Dec 6 2013
    • NYC/NC
    • Posts 5
    • Points 65

Pat Horridge:

My understanding is that the current software licensing allows one version back in terms of license support.

So from V7 you should be able to run V6.5 but not V6.0 or V5.5

Adman:

dnext:

The question. Will an upgrade of our dongle (which we've had 10+ years) to MC7 allow us to go back to 5.5 if needed...

Dongles are backwards compatible (with the exception of Symphony options). Software licensing is not backwards compatible.

From the thread that was linked earlier by camoscato, here's a snippet of what Marianna said:

Media Composer 7.0 and NewsCutter 11.0 software licensing (Activation IDs) enables customers to run one whole software version back.  This means that if a customer purchases a Media Composer 7.0 or a NewsCutter 11.0 license, they can authorize and run Media Composer 6.0.4/6.5.3 and NewsCutter 10.0.4/10.5.3 products.

If I'm interpreting all this correctly, I think I could run 6.0.4 and 7.0.x using the same activation ID on different startup drives. So why don't I just do that? Well, I know that my current 5.5.3.7 system works and is solid. In the process of upgrading to 7.0.x, I need a backup option in case something gets screwy-- I have ongoing projects that I can't afford to lose time on. Upgrading my 5.5.3.7 system to 6.0.4 kind of defeats that purpose. Not a huge deal, as 6.0.4 has been around a while and should be solid, but just trying to cover all bases here to see if it's possible to keep my current system. 

I'd also be perfectly fine with de-activating/re-activating the license when switching between systems if need be. 

dnext- I hope I'm not threadjacking here...I think you got an answer re: your dongle? 

And yes, thanks everyone for sharing your wisdom!

• Fri, Dec 6 2013 6:56 PM In reply to

Miles Young:
    I think I could run 6.0.4 and 7.0.x using the same activation ID on different startup drives.

I'm not sure if you can do it on different startup drives, because I'm not a Mac guy and I don't want to steer you wrong.  Hopefully someone will chime in about that.  I'd wait to see what Marianna says about 5.5.4, because it may be you just need to get to there in order to ensure backward compatibility with MC7.

Adman:

That's not entirely accurate.  As Marianna posted on the other thread, a MC7+Symphony option dongle will run Symphony 6.5.3 and 6.0.4.  And MC7+Symphony option that's software activated can also run Symphony 6.5.3 or 6.0.4.

It's pretty dense, but it's all laid out in the other thread:

Marianna:

• There are a lot of new features in Media Composer 7.0 and NewsCutter 11.0 that will NOT function in earlier versions of the software, so in certain cases these newer features will not be present in the sequence when opened.

Media Composer 7.0 and NewsCutter 11.0 Software License Logic Enhancements:

• Media Composer 7.0 and NewsCutter 11.0 software licensing (Activation IDs) enables customers to run one whole software version back.  This means that if a customer purchases a Media Composer 7.0 or a NewsCutter 11.0 license, they can authorize and run Media Composer 6.0.4/6.5.3 and NewsCutter 10.0.4/10.5.3 products.  This also means that is a customer purchases a Media Composer 7.0 with Symphony Option they can authorize and run Symphony 6.0.4/6.5.3 or 7.
    • Customers who wish to run previous versions of Media Composer or NewsCutter software should uninstall their current Media Composer 7.0 and 6.x, or NewsCutter 11.0 and 10.x software, install Media Composer 6.0.4/6.5.3 or NewsCutter 10.0.4/10.5.3 using the full installer (NOT from a patch installer), and then use their Media Composer 7.0 or NewsCutter 11.0 System ID and Activation ID when Activating the software license.
    • Media Composer 7.0 + Symphony Option software licensing (Activation IDs) will enable a customer to authorize and run Symphony 6.0.4/6.5.3. 
    • Customers who wish to run previous versions of Symphony software should uninstall their Media Composer 7.0 or Symphony 6.x software, install Symphony 6.0.4/6.5.3 from the full installer (NOT from a patch), and then  use their Media Composer 7.0 System ID and Symphony Option Activation ID when Activating the software license.

Media Composer 7.0 and NewsCutter 11.0 Dongle Licenses:

• Media Composer 7.0 and NewsCutter 11.0 dongle logic has not changed in this release.  Dongles will enable customers to authorize and run multiple versions back of the software.
    • Media Composer 7.0 + Symphony Option authorized dongles will enable a customer to authorize and run multiple versions back of Symphony.  Only 6.0.4 and 6.5.3 has been modified to understand the Symphony Option bit on the dongle. Anything older will not launch Symphony.
    • Customers who wish to run previous versions of Media Composer, Symphony or NewsCutter should either uninstall their v7.0/v11.0 software and then install full versions of 6.0.4/6.5.3 or 10.0.4/10.5.3, respectively, or install the patch versions of 6.0.4/6.5.3 or 10.4./10.5.3 on top of the current Media Composer 6.0.x/6.0.5.x, Symphony 6.0.x/6.5.x, or NewsCutter 10.0.x/10.5.x.

• Fri, Dec 6 2013 10:30 PM In reply to

• dnext
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 27
    • Points 360

Sorry to be confused but with the back and forth on dongle and software, MC and Symphony compatibility/incompatibility, just to be sure, when I try to boot MC5.5 with the updated MC7 dongle it will work - yes?

• Sat, Dec 7 2013 2:13 AM In reply to

dnext:
    just to be sure, when I try to boot MC5.5 with the updated MC7 dongle it will work - yes?
    FWIW I just plugged an MC7 dongle into a PC (HP8200) That still had a copy of MC 5.0.4.4 which I have not fired up in years. I was asked if I wanted to activate it with a dongle. I said yes and MC fired up and worked normally

• Sat, Dec 7 2013 2:20 AM In reply to

dnext:
    Sorry to be confused but with the back and forth on dongle and software, MC and Symphony compatibility/incompatibility, just to be sure, when I try to boot MC5.5 with the updated MC7 dongle it will work - yes?

Yes it will. Your dongle will open previous versions. If I remember correctly, I have used MC 7 dongle with MC 4.x.

What version 7 dongle will NOT do is open Symphony 5.5 and earlier even if you have the Symphony Option. MC 7 with Symphony Option will only open Symphony 6.0.4 and 6.5.4.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Dec 7 2013 3:40 AM In reply to

• dnext
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 27
    • Points 360

Excellent. Thanks to everyone for their help on this! Much appreciated.

• Sat, Dec 7 2013 4:13 AM In reply to

I've successfully run a 1.5 system with a 7.0 dongle.  The dongle had previously been for v1.5, then upgraded to 7.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Dec 7 2013 5:46 AM In reply to

And here's the confirmation:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/compatibility/Using-a-Media-Composer-7-0-or-NewsCutter-11-0-license-to-activate-previous-versions

There's a nice matrix that explains what dongle/activation option will open what version.

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller