Latest post Tue, Aug 27 2019 7:14 PM by ykt28403. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Dec 31 2013 8:36 PM

• mhamilton
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Ottawa, Canada
    • Posts 1,573
    • Points 19,565

display problems: tool/bin windows partially off-screen. Fix?

Hi there,

I've got three displays.  My biggest one is to the right of the other two (which are one above the other)—it's on this big one that I have my source-record windows, including key tools like the timecode window tool.  

Since updating to 7.0.3 this timecode window tool appeared mostly off-screen, at the very top of my main display. Unfortunately, you can only drag a window to another position if you can grab the top of it, which in this case, I can't do.  The top is off-screen.

I've seen this happen before and I've fixed it by choosing 'Displays' in Apple System Preferences, and then 'Arrangement', and then dragging my main display on the right so that it's under the one on the left.  The top of the Timecode window tool then appears at the bottom of the display on the left, and I can drag the whole tool to where I want it to go.  I then 're-arrange' my displays and go back to work.

But now, even when I do this, the missing top-half of the Timecode window is still missing.  I really don't understand this.

Does anyone have any ideas for me?

Thanks, and Happy New Year everyone,

Malcolm

Mac Pro 6-Core 3.3GHz • OSX 10.9.1 • Media Composer v7.0.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 1 2014 1:07 AM In reply to

Re: display problems: tool/bin windows partially off-screen. Fix?

Try clicking on the timecode window and selecting Home from the Windows menu (I think it's under that menu), and see if it moves somewhere you can get to it.

Media Composer 2019.12 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Jan 1 2014 9:45 PM In reply to

• jcmcnamee
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Brooklyn, NY
    • Posts 254
    • Points 2,665

I've also had this problem. Clicking the home menu item (or command-') doesn't help. My current workaround to "reset" windows or bins that have this issue is to open them tabbed in another bin then drag them out. They're fine after doing this. But Home wasn't working for me.

Media Composer 2018.12.8 / OS 10.14.6 27" iMac [3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 32 GB ram, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB] [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 2 2014 2:17 AM In reply to

• mhamilton
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Ottawa, Canada
    • Posts 1,573
    • Points 19,565

Thank you both.  I think I'd tried the Home menu choice, Carl, to no avail.  Next time, I'll try your suggestion jc.

In the meantime, this worked for me:  I gave F7 back to Mission Control (in Apple's System Preferences).  When I clicked this, every window in each of my three displays became smaller.  I could then drag windows, from their tops, from one display to another.  In this way, I got the whole of the Timecode Window back where I wanted it.  

jc—when I next run into this problem and I want to try your method, how do I open windows 'tabbed', in another bin?

thanks so much everyone,

Malcolm

Mac Pro 6-Core 3.3GHz • OSX 10.9.1 • Media Composer v7.0.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 15 2014 3:24 AM In reply to

I recently had this issue on Symphony 6.0.1 - messing with the displays was the only method that worked for me too.

Media Composer v8.9.3 (w/Symph Option) • 3.4GHz 12core frankenWinX • 64 GB RAM • Stardom USB3 External Raid [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Aug 27 2019 7:14 PM In reply to

• ykt28403
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 22 2016
    • Posts 18
    • Points 150

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller