Latest post Thu, May 14 2015 5:18 AM by Sandyman7. 25 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jan 11 2014 6:08 AM

An error in the pre-uninstall task cancelled the uninstall

Just upgraded from 0Sx 10.6.8  to OS 10.9.1 so I could then upgrade fom MC 5.5.3 to MC 7.0.3

Although I'm in Dongle/licencing hell at the moment which is another story, I tried to un_install MC 5.5.3 after the OS upgrade and received this message (using the uninstaller that lives in the uninstaller folder in Applications.)

"An error in the pre-uninstall task cancelled the uninstall"

I then tried to use the uninstaller that came with the download file but I got an error message when I tried to open that 

"Uninstall Media Composer.app" is damaged and can't be opened. You should eject the disk image.

Really, I'm totally losing it here. How hard can it be.

I have read related threads and have had no luck with any of the suggestiuons. There are some instructions to manually remove using terminal commands but that is WAY too scarey for me.

Any thoughts??

2013 MacPro 10.12.3 MC 8.8.0 + Symphony, iMac 27 MC 8.8.0 + Symphony, Anyone want to buy a useless Nitris DX then! [view my complete system specs]

Big Hat

(All Hat, No Cattle)
    Mac Pro 2013

Filed under: ,
  • Sat, Jan 11 2014 7:31 AM In reply to

Re: An error in the pre-uninstall task cancelled the uninstall

Ah, I've just found this (Thanks Kevin Klimek)

Special Note Regarding OS X 10.9 Mavericks:
    Media Composer v7.0.3 is the first release of the editing application supporting Mac OS v10.9 Mavericks. If you had upgraded your system to Mac OS v10.9 on an editing version prior to v7.0.3, the uninstaller for that previous editing application will NOT uninstall that version of the editing application successfully. To resolve this, use the uninstaller included in your v7.0.3 editor download to uninstall the previous version of the editing application.

Sadly, I've downloaded the install .dmg with the 7.0.3 uninstaller and get an error message that "Uninstall Media Composer.app" is damaged and can not be opened.

HELP?

2013 MacPro 10.12.3 MC 8.8.0 + Symphony, iMac 27 MC 8.8.0 + Symphony, Anyone want to buy a useless Nitris DX then! [view my complete system specs]

Big Hat

(All Hat, No Cattle)
    Mac Pro 2013

• Sat, Jan 11 2014 7:31 AM In reply to

Gary C.J.Schweikert:
    but that is WAY too scarey for me.

Any thoughts??

Saddly as you did not uninstall 5.5.3 before you updated the OS scarey MAY be one of very few options for you. I would suggest getting a Mac Savy person to help you through the manual remove process.

FWIW another option could be to have a Mac Savy person help you with the way I chose to go to Mavericks. That was buying a new SATA drive and fitting that to the Mac Pro. Then a clean install of 10.9.1, During the install I got options to import programs and media from my existing drives.  I chose not to do this.

So I ended up with a dual boot option where I can build the 10.9.1 drive up with clean installs of eveything.  It took less than 40 minutes to have 10.9.1 and Avid running on the new drive.

Good luck.

• Tue, Feb 4 2014 9:43 PM In reply to

• Darshankh
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 4 2014
    • Posts 4
    • Points 30

Wow.  This is a solution?!

I am having the same issue. I am currently on MC 6.5.4

The uninstaller I attempted to use before upgrading to Mavericks caused all hell to break loose with a kernel panic.  I couldn't even get the "pre-uninstall task" message, it just sent my machine crashing FABULOUSLY like few things ever have.

Now I find out that I am supposed to use the uninstaller that came with MC 6.5.4.1 and that's where I pick up the message.

I have tried using the uninstaller from the desktop as well as putting it into the folder where the previous uninstaller is.

A solution for me is NOT "buying a new SATA drive" and yadda, yadda, yadda.

What is most scary to me is that I now have this thing called AVID MC buried into my machine that apparently can't be removed without paying some Mac expert to perform "surgery" on it. . . And that AVID doesn't seem to have any actual solutions for this.  What? Unless I pay them more money?

• Tue, Feb 4 2014 10:11 PM In reply to

• Darshankh
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 30

Just found the "Manual Uninstall" solution.

Another completely underwhelming solution where all you have to do is be an IT guy and pray for the best.

Wow.  This is enough to make you run to Adobe Premiere in a jiffy.

Anybody have any calming words of assurance that this isn't what "life with AVID" is really like? 

• Tue, Feb 4 2014 10:43 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,365
    • Points 16,830

Darshankh:

Anybody have any calming words of assurance that this isn't what "life with AVID" is really like? 

How about, this is what "life with Avid on a mac" is really like?

Look, Apple makes fine products, but this no-going-back OS thing is getting old.  Personally, I primarily use windows and since WIndows updates its OS far less frequently, I find a major change of OS is actually a good opportunity to swap out a boot drive and cut out all the accumulated clutter.

• Tue, Feb 4 2014 11:05 PM In reply to

Hi Darshankh ,

having been in a similar situation I know how hard it is to keep the faith but just try to use the forum for what it's designed to do I found great help from the Avid forum moderator and in my region Avid Asia were able to help me out of my situation.  Just remember you're not many other software companies whose core business is editing. Just imagine if your business was heavily invested in FCP 7 a few years ago.

BTW, do you have a recent clone of your boot disk you could restore and try again?

Big Hat

(All Hat, No Cattle)
    Mac Pro 2013

• Tue, Feb 4 2014 11:23 PM In reply to

• Darshankh
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 30

To SMRPIX:

I'm not going to get into a flame war about Macs vs. PCs.  Suffice it to say, I proudly don't use ANY Microsoft products (except Silverlight which Netflix forces me to use). . . I used PCs for years (actually both during many of those years) and the more I have excised Microsoft from my life, the happier I have been.  Walking through an Office Max today where half of their display machines had issues reminded me of the PC life.

The point is there are all sorts of third party manufacturers that don't have these issues and who clearly do better maintenance of the products they are responsible for.  And one would think that since all AVID does is dedicated work with editorial software, they'd make sure they did it better than anybody else. 

To Gary:

I shall work on keeping the faith.  I am not a technophobe nor a luddite, but I am coming in as an AVID adopter who came in from the world of FCP.  So, I have that learning curve (which is not insignificant).  It just means that not only do I have to worry about really learning how to work within the AVID way of doing things, but (thus far) I can't even depend that the software works as advertised.

Software that can't simply be upgraded?  Not to mention I don't even get actual notices that a new version is out?  It feels very stone tools and cat gut to me.

I also can't believe that I can't transcode footage in anything larger than bite sized pieces with out MC crashing.  It's quite disheartening.

That is it for now.  I guess I have some "deep guts" tearing from my Mac in my future.  FML

Peace to you both. (with a sad face) 

• Tue, Feb 4 2014 11:32 PM In reply to

• Darshankh
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 30

Gary: I do not have a recent clone as my backup G-Raid failed rather recently (so I am all sorts of raw right now when it comes to things working). Wish me well. . .  Doesn't sound like anybody from AVID is running to the rescue.

• Fri, Feb 21 2014 5:56 PM In reply to

I think I might have a solution.  Go to privacy and settings; unlock; under: "Allow apps downloaded from:"  click "Anywhere".

Try the uninstall again and see if it works.

Have a good one.  Smile

MacPro (early 2009) Processor 2x2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon Memory 6 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512 MB Software OS X 10.9.5... [view my complete system specs]

Trevor Ambrose  editor Schitt's Creek

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0024430/

• Tue, Apr 29 2014 6:40 AM In reply to

Use the uninstaller that comes with the NEW update that you download.

Mine worked.

• Tue, May 20 2014 4:03 PM In reply to

Thanks for posting that, Trevor. It quickly fixed the "An error in the pre-uninstall task cancelled the uninstall" problem, so that I could use the uninstaller from 7.0.3 to take out my older copy of AVID. You probably saved me about 15 hours of stress!

Macbook Pro Retina, AVID 7.0.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, May 20 2014 5:08 PM In reply to

No problemo Clinton.  I was lucky enough to stumble upon that one in a google search.

Have a nice day!  :)

MacPro (early 2009) Processor 2x2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon Memory 6 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512 MB Software OS X 10.9.5... [view my complete system specs]

• Wed, Jun 4 2014 6:32 PM In reply to

• JcVelasco
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 4 2014
    • Posts 1
    • Points 15

I had the same problem. Thanks Trevor! 

• Wed, Jun 4 2014 6:48 PM In reply to

That's great JC!  I'm glad I could help.

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller