Latest post Fri, Jan 17 2014 5:59 AM by Alan Peak. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jan 12 2014 1:55 AM

• Alan Peak
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jan 12 2014
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 4
    • Points 70

PC system Newbie

Happy New Year to all.

Because of Apple's new Mac pro I am ready to switch from MAC to PC. Being new to the PC world and not trusting the Avid approved models available, I am pricing out PC systems from several different manufactures.

The manufactures so far are:

ADK www.adkvideoediting.com

Cerise www.cerise.com

CPU Solutions www.cpusolutions.com

Digital Storm www.digitalstormonline.com

Maingear www.maingear.com

Promax www.promax.com

Puget www.pugetsystems.com

Xi www.xicomputers.com

In all cases looking to do better than the Avid System Requirements. I will be running Avid Media Composer 6 for now should I match the Avid requirements for MC6 or MC7? Looking at different 2 core to 12 core solutions with a Quadro K4000 3GB as video card and a AJA io express card. Not sure if I need a sound card or not.

The price ranges go from the lowest CPU Solutions at $4000 to Digital Storm at $6600. With the exception of Promax (they are not clear on what they offer in a system at all) they all include a 27" monitor, 250 SSD main drive, two 2t extra drives, 32GB ram (8x4), 3 year warranty, basic keyboard and mouse. There are variations in cpu's, motherboards, sound cards, cooling and power supply's. I know it is cheaper to build myself but I want a back up that is reliable and to concentrate my efforts on editing not system maintenance.

My use for the AVID is as a independent long form editor. And I am looking foward to using the AVID as my primary NLE system. Other than Avid's guidlines what should I be worried about in a PC system? Am I over shooting the requirements for a CPU? Should I just get the HP top of the line and be done with it? Has anyone works with any of the manufactures?

Thanks so much for your time.

Alan Peak

• Sun, Jan 12 2014 2:27 AM In reply to

Re: PC system Newbie

Hi, A great place to start for DIY systems is VideoGuys. Here is a link to one of their recent builds which will give you a good idea of Avid compatible parts needed to build up your own system

• Sun, Jan 12 2014 2:55 AM In reply to

• Alan Peak
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 4
    • Points 70

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your response. I have looked at the videoguys site and six of the manufactures have the ACUS VE278Q 27 as the motherboard of choice. I know that 32 gigs of ram should be good and I don't want to deal with less than the QuadroK4000 for video. Am confused about cooling issues. Also wondering about external ports Esata, Thunderbolt and Firewire 800.

I know that I will be dealing with mac drives from clients so I am hoping that I can have one work drive as a backup, one for rendering and one for the project.

Sounds like I need to do more homework.

• Sun, Jan 12 2014 11:51 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,387
    • Points 97,025

If you want a reasonably future-proof system, I think you would find it hard to go past Videoguys' DIY 10 Premium build.  If you don't feel competent to build it yourself, you should be able to find a PC builder in your area.  Even with their time factored in you should still come in well under $4K.

This will give you spare cash to get decent external media storage.  Any of the suggested drive boxes on the DIY 10 page would be appropriate.

PS:  If you go the DIY path and use an external builder, don't let them sell you something that's "as good as" the specified parts.  Videoguys put a lot of effort and research into their DIY projects.  They know what they're talking about.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 13 2014 2:49 AM In reply to

• dew
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 27 2007
    • Posts 513
    • Points 6,570

Hmm I was wondering what was the response of the Mac users concerning the new MacPro. Its definitely different. Can I ask what was you main dislikes? From my understanding you have to use a certain connection type for all harddrives and external devices.

• Mon, Jan 13 2014 3:46 AM In reply to

• Alan Peak
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 4
    • Points 70

Hi Dew,

Here is the deal. No CD/DVD drive, no bays for extra hard drives, running on a flash drive 256 GB, no slots for video cards sound cards etc. (using a video chip), ports for HDMI 1, USB 3.0 4 and Thunderbolt 6 only. And I am beginning to think that Apple is pushing professionals away for the I generation. Apple or nothing. Here is the link for the Darth pro http://www.apple.com/mac-pro/specs/ So that is why I am trying to relearn all this to go PC.

Hope this helps.

Alan Peak

• Mon, Jan 13 2014 4:00 AM In reply to

Alan,

My only piece of advice is to go with Windows 8 not Windows 7. W8 is newer, more stable, more secure and faster. And MC is qualified to run on W8.

I know people will say to stick with 7, but it's a four year old OS and 8 has now been out for over a year.

Now 8 vs 8.1 is another question. Avid.com doesn't list 8.1 as being MC qualified, but they also might just consider 8.1 as being part of 8. Hopefully someone can chime in with a clarification. Wink

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Mon, Jan 13 2014 4:33 AM In reply to

BobbyMurcerFan:
    Now 8 vs 8.1 is another question. Avid.com doesn't list 8.1 as being MC qualified,
    The Readme for MC 7.0.3 shows it as being qualified for W8.1 It requires a different video driver (included in the update) from the one required for W7 and W8

I did not see any indication in the MC 6.5.4.1 Readme that 8.1 is supported.

• Mon, Jan 13 2014 4:59 AM In reply to

Alan Peak:
    Being new to the PC world and not trusting the Avid approved models available

.- That's a very, very bad start.

All Intel based workstations, including Macpros and the "untrusty" systems Avid approves, are fundamentally the same: same Intel Processors, same chipsets, same Quadros, same OS etc.

The only difference is the price and support.

Avid test those "untrusty" systems to the exaustion. That's a big advanttage.

Actually, the systems you showed are expensive clones made with third party parts (Asus, Nvidia, Corsair, etc) you can get from any computer store.

Lenovo E32 ThinkStation Intel Xeon E3-1245,16GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 600 (1 GB), Windows 10 Pro x64 (up to date) USB 3.0, Lite-On SSD 256GB System Drive... [view my complete system specs]

Remembering my friend Larry Rubin

"Art can't exist without Craft"

• Mon, Jan 13 2014 5:37 AM In reply to

AndrewAction:
    The Readme for MC 7.0.3 shows it as being qualified for W8.1

As Andrew notes, 8.1 is supported with 7.0.3.  I'm running that configuration on my laptop, and while I haven't put it to any great tests, it plays back video and audio just fine.

Media Composer 2018.12.5 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Jan 13 2014 6:18 AM In reply to

You got a NEW laptop Carl? WOW! Yes

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Mon, Jan 13 2014 6:25 AM In reply to

Haha, yeah, I did.  After 5 years of faithful service, and nursing it through an OS upgrade, a hard drive upgrade, a RAM upgrade, and replacement of the hinges, it was time to let it go and move on.

Smile

Media Composer 2018.12.5 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Jan 13 2014 7:41 AM In reply to

Alan Peak:

Being new to the PC world and not trusting the Avid approved models available, I am pricing out PC systems from several different manufactures.

You mean those rock solid workhourse HP machines?

I've been using Avid approved systems for over 15 years and they are the machines to go for if you want reliable dependable performance.

The Z400 Z420 Z800 & Z820 machines are awsome with just about all the expansion capacity you can need. They run for years on end trouble free and as Avid support them you can get Avid support for them and find thousands of folks using exactly the same setup so can unpick problems with lots of help.

Go your own route and your on your own and the perfomance difference probably won't save you 2% of your time a day.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Mon, Jan 13 2014 11:21 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,387
    • Points 97,025

Pat Horridge:
    The Z400 Z420 Z800 & Z820 machines are awsome with just about all the expansion capacity you can need. They run for years on end trouble free and as Avid support them you can get Avid support for them and find thousands of folks using exactly the same setup so can unpick problems with lots of help.
    -and if you feel that their list price is too high, try a HP factory refurb.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 16 2014 6:53 AM In reply to

ok i open my mouth and stick foot in, but here we goooooo

1.buget

2.Buget

3.can you build or prefer brand name

if you can build bare bones box the sum of the parts are mangable chip processor,ram are about  $$450.00 (us) up or down based on your prefernce video card anywhere from 800.00 to 8000.00  based on your prefernce again hard drive 59.00 for 1tb to about 129.00 for a 4tb now a brand name box you add 3 to 400.00 and up for the name with no tech support

i'm new to MC but not to the pc world i started with a 286 proceseing piece of s<>t that we thought was well if your old enough you know. To now read my system spec.both of mine i built my video box cost about 2000.00 and it works fine. if you break down the mac vs pc you have (if I7) 16 cores vs 8 cores and about 1000.00 dollars for the mac i hope this helps again based on your prefernce

(video)Gigabyte Ga-Z87X-UD5H 4TH GENERATION I7 4770K INTEL 4600 ON BOARD GRAPHICS NVIDEIA Asus GeForce GTX 780ti (GPU 3gb ddr5 Memory)On board sound blaster... [view my complete system specs]

"When Everybody goes Right I Go Left" I Move "Just" a little Different

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller