Latest post Tue, Mar 18 2014 4:05 AM by Aaron. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Mar 16 2014 7:12 PM

• Aaron
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, May 20 2012
    • Boston Area, MA, USA
    • Posts 29
    • Points 355

MC 5.5.2 Access Violation & Structured Exception

Hi, all. I apologize if this is a repost. I've searched the posts in this community, and I've tried several of the resolutions, but nothing's worked. Please feel free to point me to another thread where I can find more answers or suggest your possible resolutions below.

My issue is that I'm trying to export from Avid MC 5.5.2 (for PC) to a QuickTime movie. I've tried exporting both with the source codec (DNxHD 175 MXF) and to H.264, and I get the same errors. I get messages that say, "ACCESS_VIOLATION exception occurred." I've tried clicking okay, but I get repeated messages, and eventually the export freezes up. When I try to stop the export or close Avid, I get a "Structured Exception" error.

I've tried deleting my .mdb and .pmr files, and I've checked to make sure DirectX isn't checked in my QuickTime settings, but the issue persists.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

MC 5.5.2 | Windows 7 Professional SP 1 (64-Bit) | Intel Xeon E5620 @ 2.40GHz (Dual Quad-Core) | 24 GB RAM | nVidia Quadro FX 1800 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Mar 16 2014 10:49 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,386
    • Points 97,010

Re: MC 5.5.2 Access Violation & Structured Exception

Try looking in the FAQ.  Maybe one of those will help.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 17 2014 2:35 AM In reply to

• Aaron
    • Not Ranked
    • Boston Area, MA, USA
    • Posts 29
    • Points 355

Thanks for pointing me to the FAQ, but I'm not seeing a solution to my issue. I found another suggested fix (copying my sequence into another bin) but that didn't work either

Any other thoughts?

MC 5.5.2 | Windows 7 Professional SP 1 (64-Bit) | Intel Xeon E5620 @ 2.40GHz (Dual Quad-Core) | 24 GB RAM | nVidia Quadro FX 1800 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 17 2014 2:48 AM In reply to

My old faithful is to mark In and out around the whole timeline. Create a Video Mixdown (at DNxHD 175?). Then an Audio Mixdown. Check the Use Marks and Use Selected tracks option s when creating the mixdowns

Start a new sequence and edit in only the Video and Audio mixdowns
    Export

(If either mixdown fails you know you have a media problem in your timeline. Divide and conquer to find the bad file(s) 

• Mon, Mar 17 2014 4:27 AM In reply to

• Aaron
    • Not Ranked
    • Boston Area, MA, USA
    • Posts 29
    • Points 355

Thanks so much for the advice. I'll give this a shot and report back.

• Mon, Mar 17 2014 7:25 AM In reply to

• Aaron
    • Not Ranked
    • Boston Area, MA, USA
    • Posts 29
    • Points 355

Okay, so good news and bad news (but mostly good).

First the bad: whenever I try mixing down the video, I get an "Assertion Failed" error.

Now the good: I tried exporting the sequence in smaller chunks and eventually found the damaged media that was causing the problem.

Now more bad: after replacing the damaged media, I tried mixing down the video again, but I got the same "Assertion Failed" error.

Now more good: instead of mixing down the video, I was able to export it using "Same as Source" and then convert that to H.26.

This will do for now, but I'd like to figure out what's causing the "Assertion Failed" error. Any thoughts?

Oh, and thanks again for your advice! Without it, I'd probably still be staring blankly at my monitor.

• Mon, Mar 17 2014 8:12 AM In reply to

Aaron:
    Any thoughts?
    There is still something strange in there whether it is a corrupt rendered effect or a bad frame very hard to tell.

As the pressure is off I would
    Make small chunk mixdowns editing each successful one to a top empty video layer.
    When one fails go to the out point of the failed mixdown and carry on along your sequence until you finish it 
    Go back to the first failed mixdown point in the timeline and try mixing down half of it.
    If that fails go to its out point and mixdown the second half  
    Try and remember the percentage done before it failed as this will give you a rough indication of how much to try in your next atempt.
    With this method you shoulf be able to narrow it down to first the clip and if you are still enthusiastic then to the frame(s). 

When I have needed to use this method here (3 or 4 times in 20+ years) it has always turned out to be a clip or a clip and a transition.

If it were me after I had found the culprit(s) I would note the times and look carefully at the encoded file around those times for my own peace of mind.

• Mon, Mar 17 2014 8:25 AM In reply to

• Aaron
    • Not Ranked
    • Boston Area, MA, USA
    • Posts 29
    • Points 355

Thanks so much for all of your help. I'll definitely do as you suggested in order to track down any remaining errors in the sequence.

I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out. Your advice has been invaluable.

All the best!

• Mon, Mar 17 2014 8:27 AM In reply to

No problem. happy to help.

With my world clock showing 4.24 am Boston time now I guess you are a night owl od a very early bird! Surprise

• Tue, Mar 18 2014 4:05 AM In reply to

• Aaron
    • Not Ranked
    • Boston Area, MA, USA
    • Posts 29
    • Points 355

Haha. By nature I am a night owl, but my wife and I have a newborn baby, so at this point time has ceased to exist. Smile

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller