Latest post Tue, Jun 30 2015 5:30 PM by JD Marlow. 25 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 25 2015 6:02 PM In reply to

Re: Corrupted Spanned Markers and Bin

Hi Jacopo, I replied back in December that it was fixed for 8.3.  As for your next projects, how can I answer your question except to say the bug was fixed and I have not seen any more incidents of it occurring with my testing, and have not seen any more reports of it happening in either the community forums, or the beta forum, or customer service. It was tricky, because it wasn't easily reproducible, but when it did happened, it was a problem. It is something I look at very often, and it's not been an issue since the bug was fixed.

All the best, Christie

Christie Carr

Sr. Software Quality Assurance Engineer

• Mon, May 18 2015 6:08 PM In reply to

• JD Marlow
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 1 2013
    • NYC
    • Posts 75
    • Points 805

Found this thread after experiencing the madness of this spanned marker bug myself.  I am on 7.0.4.2 on Mavericks 10.9.5 with no intention to upgrade to v8 (I'm in the middle of a very long term project...upgrading is a bad idea for us).  Is there any chance this bug fix can be implemented into a version 7 patch?

This is a totally crippling bug that is corrupting sequences and bins of master clips.

Mac Pro 10.9.5 (Dual Quad-Core 2.26 Ghz), 16 GB RAM, Media Composer 7.0.4.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 18 2015 6:13 PM In reply to

• jdrouette
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 386
    • Points 5,040

Patch 7.0.4.3 is available. I don't know if it fixes this bug, or even if it can repair bins containing the corrupted markers, but it's worth a try.

Avid Media Composer 2018.12.5 Symphony option, Avid Artist DNxID on macOS 10.14.3, iMac Pro (2017) 10-Core, 3.0GHz Intel Xeon W, Turbo Boost up to 4.5GHz... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 21 2015 6:48 PM In reply to

• JD Marlow
    • Not Ranked
    • NYC
    • Posts 75
    • Points 805

This came up again for me today on another clip.  Seems to only be happening on NTSC 20:1 clips that are 29.97 in my 23.98 project.  I'm updating to 7.0.4.3 just to be safe, although the release notes say nothing about this.  I am also getting rid of all spanned markers on any clips with these specs.  Hopefully that does something to prevent this from continuing to happen....

Mac Pro 10.9.5 (Dual Quad-Core 2.26 Ghz), 16 GB RAM, Media Composer 7.0.4.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 22 2015 6:01 PM In reply to

• JD Marlow
    • Not Ranked
    • NYC
    • Posts 75
    • Points 805

Christie,

Is there any way to find out if this bug has been fixed in the patch version of 7.0.4.3?  This bug is creating a situation where we need to quickly decide whether to upgrade to 8.3.1 or stay on v7.  We've been able to clean out clips that have been affected by the bug so far, but it's totally random and hard to see when or where it's occuring and we have to do something very quickly to avoid bigger problems.

The added urgency is that so far this was only affecting NTSC clips in our HD project, but yesterday it infected DNX80 clips.  SIGH.

• Fri, May 22 2015 6:06 PM In reply to

• JD Marlow
    • Not Ranked
    • NYC
    • Posts 75
    • Points 805

I want to add also, for others out there who may be experiencing this, that there is a way to fix this without manually deleting markers and without deleting the clips themselves.  You can use the attic to find a version of the bin with clips before any spanned markers were added, but you have to carefully bring the pre-infected clip back into your project.

The way to do it is to revise the clip in some way -- like add a new marker to it (not a spanned marker!) and save it in a bin.  Delete all instances of the clip in your project and bring this clip over from the attic version.  This will become the revised version of the clip, so if you match back to it from a sequence it should reference that clip information (without the spanned markers).  But you have to open any bin or sequence relevant to the clip so that they update to the metadata from the fixed clip, otherwise you could override this change.  And the bin with the revised version of the clip MUST BE OPEN WHILE YOU DO THIS, OR IT WON'T UPDATE. It's complicated and messy but it can work.  It just takes digging and time to fix, especially if you have clones of the clip all over the place or in many sequences.  It's the worst!  Basically like a virus.

• Tue, May 26 2015 2:28 PM In reply to

JD, Yes - it is still possible to get the fix in place for that stream. It is in the works - thanks for letting me know about your issue. (Hopefully a mid-June timeframe)

Best, Christie

Christie Carr

• Tue, May 26 2015 3:09 PM In reply to

• JD Marlow
    • Not Ranked
    • NYC
    • Posts 75
    • Points 805

Christie,

Thank you so much!  This is tremendously helpful!  I will keep a look out for a v7 patch.

• Tue, Jun 30 2015 5:02 PM In reply to

• JD Marlow
    • Not Ranked
    • NYC
    • Posts 75
    • Points 805

I noticed that Media Composer 7.0.4.4 was released recently.  Does anyone know if the spanned marker bug was resolved?  I don't see anything about it in the release notes.

• Tue, Jun 30 2015 5:07 PM In reply to

Hi JD, yes, I confirmed with the team that promoted the fix that it is in 7.0.4.4. I really hope this resolves your issue!

Best, Christie

Christie Carr

• Tue, Jun 30 2015 5:30 PM In reply to

• JD Marlow
    • Not Ranked
    • NYC
    • Posts 75
    • Points 805

Amazing!  Thank you so much Christie!

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller