Latest post Wed, Apr 2 2014 8:36 PM by Ben Wilson. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Mar 17 2014 1:11 PM

• filmfriseur
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 8 2013
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 63
    • Points 560

question: duplicate effect template without losing parameters

Hi,

from another bin I'd like to duplicate effect templates that I createt (without source) to use them in a new bin. As soon as I duplicate them the effect goes back to default. Anyone an idea how I could keep my parameters and all the work I put into it within the copies?

thx

amc 2018.4 - symphony . 3.46 dual 6core mac pro (early2009, upgraded to westmere 5.1, OSX 10.12.6). 64 gb . msi gtx 970 . 2x 27" monitor . 1x 24"... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 17 2014 3:05 PM In reply to

• Ben Wilson
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 10 2010
    • Columbia, SC
    • Posts 218
    • Points 2,500

Re: question: duplicate effect template without losing parameters

I have had great success by dragging the effect as edited from the effect editor into a bin.  After adjusting all the settings in the effect editor, drag the effect icon from the effect editor into a bin.  Then rename the effeect clip in the bin so you know what it is.  It is then ready to be used on other clips as a simple drag and drop from the bin to a clip on the timeline.

That technique saved me a lot of time with color correction in some wedding videos.

Several. 1x MC7.0.4 HP z800 dual XEON x5650-2.66GHz 12MB Ram Quadro FX3800 NitrisDX. 4 TB GSPEEDes storage. 2x MC 7.0.4 HP z420 MatroxLE. GSpeedQ 8TB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 17 2014 8:11 PM In reply to

• filmfriseur
    • Not Ranked
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 63
    • Points 560

Did the same, like described above. My problem starts after I dropt the effect into a bin.  

Tried now to repeat this behavior, but couldnt recreate the problem. So with new created effects it works like it should.  When using all the effects created one year ago in the same project (all time AMC 6.5) I still get the problem and can't duplicate the one year old effects (3D Warp) without losing all parameters. 

Since the problem isn't repeatable I guess it is some kind of bad magic in the box. 

fin.

amc 2018.4 - symphony . 3.46 dual 6core mac pro (early2009, upgraded to westmere 5.1, OSX 10.12.6). 64 gb . msi gtx 970 . 2x 27" monitor . 1x 24"... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 18 2014 2:11 PM In reply to

• Ben Wilson
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Columbia, SC
    • Posts 218
    • Points 2,500

Older project?  Same version of Media Composer?  Seems it should be ok.  If the project was created in an older version of MC I could see this behaviour happening.  So, are you trying to duplicate the effect the same way you duplicate a clip in the bin?  I don't think I have ever tried to do it that way.  Never saw a reason to I guess.  I will have to try that when I get a chance.

Several. 1x MC7.0.4 HP z800 dual XEON x5650-2.66GHz 12MB Ram Quadro FX3800 NitrisDX. 4 TB GSPEEDes storage. 2x MC 7.0.4 HP z420 MatroxLE. GSpeedQ 8TB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 19 2014 9:07 PM In reply to

• filmfriseur
    • Not Ranked
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 63
    • Points 560

well, the project is some versions of AMC old now allready, but the bin I was talking about I created with the same version I am in right now.

the project belongs to a client and I have different shows in it. So I kept the effects in an showrelated effect bin. So when I have to go back I see by the structure of my bins and the effect bundle (my templates) in it what I did. Now I wanted to copy such a bundle to use it in a similar bin-show-structure, but also wanted to have the freedom to modify the bundle of templates. That was the backstory why I wanted to keep my one year old templates in that bin.

But now, I took my effect templates out of the old bin (was afraid they could also loose their parameters... never touch a running effect ;-)  ) put them into a new bin - still working, AND in the new bin I could duplicate them (like clips) keeping their parameters. Boom, perfect. Copied the old ones back.

So the problem was definitly related to that one year old bin. 

Thank you Ben for your input. 

Fredrik

• Wed, Apr 2 2014 8:36 PM In reply to

• Ben Wilson
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Columbia, SC
    • Posts 218
    • Points 2,500

HI Fredrik,

Glad you got it worked out.  I have been busy with a Windows XP migration project that got put on us at the last minute.  I see it has been a while since logging onto the forum!  :/

Would be interesting (maybe) to find out why the effects would lose their setting while staying in the old bin, but keep their settings when taken out of the old bin and copied into a new bin.  Weird.

Cheers

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller