Latest post Mon, Apr 21 2014 6:48 PM by Andrew Rice. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Apr 4 2014 7:08 PM

• Drew Layman
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 17 2013
    • Lousiville KY
    • Posts 9
    • Points 105

Media Composer to ProTools: Roundtripping

I was wondering if anyone could share with me how they round trip from MC to PT. 

I'm using MC7 and PT11. Any advice would be much appreciated. I'm very new to PT. Thank you!

Late 2013 Mac Pro Processor: 2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5 Memory: 32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC Graphics: AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB Software: OS X 10.9.2 Avid... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 4 2014 7:32 PM In reply to

Re: Media Composer to ProTools: Roundtripping

Are both programs on the same compoter?
    If not are they both on a network?

How would you move the media between them?

• Mon, Apr 7 2014 2:58 AM In reply to

• Andrew Rice
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 24 2011
    • Maui, Hawaii
    • Posts 155
    • Points 2,010

I would love an answer to this too...in my case both programs are on the same computer.

Media Composer 8.4 • Mac Pro • 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon • 16GB RAM • ATI Radeon HD 5770 • Nvidia Quadra 4000 • Blackmagic Decklink Studio • BMD Desktop... [view my complete system specs]

Glassy waves make me happy

• Mon, Apr 7 2014 3:20 AM In reply to

In which case you are probably in an ideal postion as long as you have recent versions of both MC and PT's.

Export an AAF with of your Audio only MC timeline with a link to media option checked.
    Do the same with a video only timeline

Open a Protools session (set Start TC to the same as your MC timelines start time) and import both of the AAF's

Your Avid video media can be setup to playback on one of the Protools CPU's monitors. Or out to a client monitor. dependant on your setup

Mix the session and bounce the Mix out (PT 11 can bounce out at up to 100+ X's realtime) into a file format that you want back in MC. (I use a Stereo.wav)

Import the bounce back into Avid and edit into a duplicate of your timeline.

• Mon, Apr 7 2014 7:43 PM In reply to

• Andrew Rice
    • Not Ranked
    • Maui, Hawaii
    • Posts 155
    • Points 2,010

Sounds easy enough...I'll be giving this a try later in the week.  

Mahalo!

Media Composer 8.4 • Mac Pro • 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon • 16GB RAM • ATI Radeon HD 5770 • Nvidia Quadra 4000 • Blackmagic Decklink Studio • BMD Desktop... [view my complete system specs]

• Wed, Apr 9 2014 3:49 AM In reply to

Andrew Rice:
    Sounds easy enough
    It is.

Between 2 computers today (they are networked but trying a sneaker drive approach)
    Attached a new USB3 drive to MC.
    Duplicated a timeline into a new bin.
    Added TC effect to my top level video track. (for burnt in TC)
    Consolidated all audio tracks (with generous handles) to the USB 3 drive

Exported an AAF with both video and audio. (linked to media) For the video track I had video mixdown to USB 3 drive.
    Connected USB 3 drive to seperate computer with Protools on.
    Opened PT 11HD
    File open session and point to the AAF.
    Session opened with all tracks. Video selected to paly on CPU's second monitor
    Switched video to play out via BM Intensity Pro and started working

Not even 5 minutes from completeing the AAF export to working on the Peotools session (39 minute program 4 stereo and 7 mono) audio tracks.

If I had time I would have liked to try exporting the AAF with the video still as clips in the timeline which is possible. Mixdown especially with BITC in my opion a safe reliable option.

• Thu, Apr 10 2014 1:57 AM In reply to

• Andrew Rice
    • Not Ranked
    • Maui, Hawaii
    • Posts 155
    • Points 2,010

Well, almost.

I am exporting an AAF with Audio & Video, I cannot export just Audio AAF because of AMA footage.

I have transcoded the media to wavOMF and DNx36, the audio & video transcodes fine, but I get this error when it creates the AAF.  I also get this error if I just LINK TO and DO NOT transcode.

Any ideas? See attached image...

• Thu, Apr 10 2014 3:20 AM In reply to

Duplicate your sequence and Rename it "Sequence name" 4 PT AAF
    Delete all of the video tracks.

Go back to your original sequence and Mixdown the media to DNx 36
    Go back to your "Sequence name" 4 PT AAF sequence and add a V1 track
    Edit the mxdown into the V1 track. 

Move the "Sequence name" 4 PT AAF sequence into a new bin 
    Export as AAF.
    If it fails duplicate the sequence and remove all audio effects from the duplicate sequence (Rename the duplicate)

Try again

• Thu, Apr 10 2014 1:25 PM In reply to

• Drew Layman
    • Not Ranked
    • Lousiville KY
    • Posts 9
    • Points 105

I'd be doing both. Keeping it just on my computer but I have other co-workers that would be sending me their timeline from MC for me to do audio post. We move them over a netowrk connected through fiber. 

Late 2013 Mac Pro Processor: 2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5 Memory: 32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC Graphics: AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB Software: OS X 10.9.2 Avid... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 10 2014 4:22 PM In reply to

• Drew Layman
    • Not Ranked
    • Lousiville KY
    • Posts 9
    • Points 105

could you share with me your method for bouncing back to MC? 

When i'm sending my files back to MC, all i need to really to is send back my audio. I don't need video as far as i can tell for my purposes since i have my video sequence back in MC. 

I tried your method above for sending over files by exporting an aaf and "linking-to" and it worked great!

What would be the settings/workflow you'd choose if someone else was sharing a timeline with you from another compoter, connected on the same network, for you to do an audio pass on?

Thanks!! 

• Mon, Apr 21 2014 6:48 PM In reply to

• Andrew Rice
    • Not Ranked
    • Maui, Hawaii
    • Posts 155
    • Points 2,010

I never got back to you to thank you for the help Andrew.  I got everything into ProTools and all is well.  Mahalo!

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller