Latest post Tue, Apr 15 2014 12:18 AM by jwrl. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Apr 14 2014 2:35 AM

• natc
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 14 2014
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

Frame rate conversion of video

Hi everyone,

I'm editing a doco using Avid and (unfortunately) have been given video footage in 23.976fps. I'm in Australia, TV broadcast requires 25fps and although the film's main target is festivals, selling to local networks is also the goal. 

I'm trying to establish the best way to begin working with this footage especially as I've been given conflicting advice that ranges from the 'convert everything to 25fps before you begin' to 'set up a 23.976 project and output at 25fps at the end.'

Converting the footage from the get-go has also been the advice of the online editor and sound mixers that I have contacted which I assume is linked to their own equipment/set up etc.

I'm trying to move forward and get started however I'm well and truly stuck. I should probably add by way of explanation that this is my first editing gig out of film school and so it is precisely the setting-up stage of the project that I lack experience in.  

Apologies in advance if I've left out any details that you may need in order to provide tips or advice. I'd really appreciate any assistance with this as I'm truly confused!

Cheers,

Nat

Filed under: , ,
  • Mon, Apr 14 2014 7:08 AM In reply to

Re: Frame rate conversion of video

Both are possible, of course. The upside of converting up front is that you from then will work at the one frame rate that your Australian TV broadcaster and networkers require, and your post house and sound house know. You would probably want to correct the pitch for the audio, which is not something you'll want to do inside MC, but preferably have the sound house process all production sound before you start cutting.

However, there is a big downside, should you ever need to create a DCP or an international delivery, as you would then need to yet again convert the 25fps master to a 24fps or 23.976fps deliverable. Not a great idea, sound quality-wise.

The upside of working at 23.976, then deriving a 25fps deliverable from a 23.976fps master is that you will only have to do one conversion at the very end, and at the same time can keep an international delivery master (suitable as a source for DCP or worldwide broadcast). You might want to pitch correct the audio for the 25fps deliverable, which is then best done by applying the pitch correction to individual mix stems.

Avid Symphony has Universal Mastering, which would let you play out to tape at various frame rates (e.g. work at 23.976, play out to 25fps), but unfortunately Avid never felt the need to extend that feature to file-based workflows.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 14 2014 10:30 AM In reply to

• natc
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

Hi, thanks for your reply! Yes that's exactly what concerns me, it almost feels counter-productive to spend so much time converting all of this footage when a 23.976fps output will be perfectly acceptable for many international festivals and broadcasters. Most online editors and sound technicians are advising me to convert to 25fps as it's easier for them, so I guess I need to establish whether working in 23.976 is going to be practical for all elements of the project.

• Mon, Apr 14 2014 10:37 AM In reply to

It's not even easier for them. They may think it is.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 14 2014 10:46 AM In reply to

• natc
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

Well actually that was what I was wondering: does working at a specific frame rate imply something about an editor/mixer's equipment? Can't an editor work in any required format (NTSC/PAL)? 

If 'output to 25fps' at the end of the whole project is apparently not too complicated a process, I wonder why I'm being advised to convert at all! 

• Tue, Apr 15 2014 12:18 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,365
    • Points 96,795

You have mail, natc.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller