Latest post Tue, Mar 27 2018 7:07 PM by Mars Hill Productions. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 10 2014 8:48 AM

Yes [Y] MC 8.0.0 Server Workflow - Promax Platform

Hi,

Some help on this would be appreciated.  Setup: New Mac Pro's (2014) connected to Promax Platform server (50TB on Windows Server 2012).    Each Mac Pro is running OS X 10.9.2 and MC 8.0.0 and no Avid Unity involved.  We have the server for simultaneous access to the media files but no simultanous project access, obviously).  

Here is the intended muliticam project workflow:  Seven camera / 20 track separate audio recorded and supplied on hard drives from the studio.  Assistants are setting up Avid projects on the server and firstly AMA linking tothe footage on the drives (Sony XDCAM HD 1080i 422 MXF's, card copies and the separately recorded audio) and then transcoding these to XDCAM HD 1080i Avid MXF's onto the server.   All the Avid MXF files are in the usual file structure, located within the Avid Media Files folder on the server.  They then set up synch and log projects and then create "Episode ready" projects for the offline editors to edit from.  They will be accessing the media files created from the assistants transcodes on the server (duplicates of the transcoded media masterclips). And the normal grouping of video files and audio grouping for multicamming is being applied from there by the offline editors.

My questions and concerns are:

1) Does this sound like a good approach to the workflow, bearing in mind that the online will happen from the same media files at the end and then DNxHD 120 video mixdowns/quicktimes will be output at the end of the online to the broadcaster. We want tyhe online editor to be able to seamlessly access the same files without having to re-transcode etc. Also bearing in mind that we really do NOT want any media to being offline and having to be relinked when the project or a copy of the project is accessed from another workstation/Mac Pro other than its first point of where the offline editor was working (want to be able to open EP 4 on Edit 3 and any other edit station, at a later or different time and not be looking at offline red timelines having to relink - if possible?)

2) For best practice/results, where should the offline editors store their episode projects to work from/ On the server, or locally on their mac pro's, which is best and why (obviously always leaving the media alone in the one place on the server).  And does this actually make any difference (where the Avid Project files are)

3) There is also Sony AVCHD footage for interviews for the show.  Should we do the same workflow as per the XDCAM above or different?

4)  Any other pitfalls to look out for from anyone who has been through a similar workflow?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Toni.

Yes

• Tue, Jun 10 2014 11:52 AM In reply to

Re: MC 8.0.0 Server Workflow - Promax Platform

Antonio di Ralamo:
    (duplicates of the transcoded media masterclips)

Just to be sure... Theoretically you are going to create duplicates of the transcoded mxf media for each Mac Pro?

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Wed, Jun 11 2014 10:13 AM In reply to

• MagnusMeerkat
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 29 2005
    • Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK
    • Posts 189
    • Points 2,235

I run a similiar setup and contrary to what some people say on the forums, you can manage a media sharing service for Avid without Unity.  As you say project sharing is impossible (AFAIK) but sharing media can be done.  In your setup it sounds like all you have to do is make the share read-only.  Then every workstation will be able to access the AvidMedia Files folder but not write to it, therefore not messing it up.  Once you've imported all your rushes and prepared your project (with write access) lock it down by making it read-only.  

If you need the workstations to be able to write to the server, say render files or titles, you'll need to create a share for EACH workstation.  Giving only that workstation write permissions.  All the other workstations can READ-ONLY from those shares and you'll have a perfectly functioning media share.

It's all in the read/write permissions and user accounts per machine.

I currently run a server that feeds 3 Avid machines and I move projects between them and the media is always accessible.  

Good luck with it. 

Symphony 2018.5, Mac Pro 2010 3.33ghz 6core, 32gb, OS X 10.11.6, DNxIO --- MC 9.3 Mac Pro 2009 2.6GHz 6 Core, 32GB, OS X 10.11.6, Nitris DX ---- MC 9.5... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 11 2014 12:46 PM In reply to

Hi Jeroen

Not duplicating the mxf media files but just duplicating the masterclips associated with them...

• Wed, Jun 11 2014 12:48 PM In reply to

Thanks MM

We will be running 7 Avid suites and so far so good, agree with you re the permissions / read/write etc.  The Promax Platform handles that quite well, thankfully..

• Wed, Jun 11 2014 2:20 PM In reply to

Ok Antonio that's what I was wondering about. Having duplicate media can cause unpredictical behaviour even when it's read only.

House keeping on the projects and bins is crucial. Be careful that different clients do not create bins with identical names.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Mon, Mar 23 2015 9:44 PM In reply to

How did this work out for you? I am looking to do the same thing with 3 Avid computers on a ProMax System. 

Nathan

MC7, 27" iMac 3.4Ghz Intel Core i7, 12GB 1333 MHz DDR3, OSX 10.7.5, [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 27 2018 7:07 PM In reply to

Hi Antonio,

How did the Promax unit work out for you? Are you still using it today? Thanks.

Joe

HPZ820 Intel Xeon E5-2640 2.5 Ghz (2 processors) Nvideo Quadro 4000 16 GB of ram Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Avid Media Composer (Symphony option) v8.2 ... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller