Latest post Tue, Jun 24 2014 5:45 PM by camoscato. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 24 2014 5:04 PM

• jkanner
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 14 2012
    • Posts 13
    • Points 195

new MC subscription model & tech questions

hey! looking at Avids new subscription model, what are everyone's general thoughts?  

I have 8 mac systems running avid 7.0.3. Yearly subscriptions offer the best deal?  Can you run 2 systems, say work desktop and travel laptop at the same time (like you can with adobe CC?) if yes, even if they are on the same network?

when is the last possible month I can wait to upgrade to subscription model and still get the initial upgrade pricing?

lastly, anyone installed MC8 and encounter any AMA/RED issues?

Thanks!

• Tue, Jun 24 2014 5:45 PM In reply to

Re: new MC subscription model & tech questions

jkanner:
    Yearly subscriptions offer the best deal?  Can you run 2 systems, say work desktop and travel laptop at the same time (like you can with adobe CC?) if yes, even if they are on the same network?

FAQ:
    Q: With a monthly subscription, can I use Media Composer on more than one computer if I’m at work and then want to take a project home on my laptop?

A: Yes, but not simultaneously. Whether you have a monthly or annual subscription, your Media Composer license can only be used on a single system | platform at one time, whether you use a Mac or PC. If you Deactivate your Subscription license from within Application Manager, you will then be free to Activate it on another system. This does require access to the internet, however. Depending on your business, floating licenses can be an attractive and easy option for dynamically assigning licenses across your network and enabling editors to check out licenses for specific time periods. For more information, see the Media Composer Floating Licensing and Benefits Guide .

jkanner:
    when is the last possible month I can wait to upgrade to subscription model and still get the initial upgrade pricing?

FAQ:
    Q: I’m an existing Media Composer user; what happens to my software now? Do I have to upgrade to this new licensing model?

A: If you have an existing Avid Expert Plus or Elite Support plan, you will be able to upgrade to Media Composer 8 when it is available as long as your contract is still active. If your contract has expired or you don’t have an Avid Support plan, you have the choice of purchasing an Avid Support renewal plan, which provides support and updates/upgrades for one year, or not renewing and remaining at your current level of software. Outside of the renewal program, you can continue to run your current version of software indefinitely. To take advantage of the $299 price for the Avid Support plan, you MUST renew in 2014 or renew when your existing support contract expires. Your other option is to simply subscribe to a monthly or annual subscription plan

jkanner:
    anyone installed MC8 and encounter any AMA/RED issues?

There shouldn't be any.  MC8 is just MC7 with new licensing.  Everything else is the same, so anything that worked in MC7 will work in MC8, and anything broken in MC7 will still be broken in MC8.

Here's a link to the FAQ.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/FAQ/Media-Composer-8-FAQ

Hope that helps.

Media Composer 2018.12.2 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller