Latest post Fri, Jul 11 2014 6:24 PM by mjolnarn. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jul 7 2014 10:40 AM

• TVPROD
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 3 2010
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 25
    • Points 405

MC 7/8 crashes when CAPS LOCK and scrub

Hi all,

with a new editing station (PC) windows 8.1 an BlackMagic SDI 4K video card, we have that problem :

The error : when we use the right or left arrow while audio is activated with CAPS LOCK (scrubbing) : a simple crash. Windows become white, and a message like « wait for avid or close the program ». If we wait 10 minutes, the program is back and then crash again, with a very slow reaction time.

We have transcoded (background) a lot of video files, did sync with pluraleyes, AAF, etc… everything was fine, and we are sure to have a very quick workstation (it is, really, for other programs like AfterEffects, MediaEncoder, etc..). The problem is with audio while scrubbing only for the moment. 

I reproduced the crash with another project. With internal RAID5 storage, or with external USB3/e-sata RAID array we use on others workstations (Z800).

So i think the problem is the BMD 10.x driver with MC.

BlackMagic Design : please hurry !!! You can't say in you specs that the 4K card and/or BMD Desktop Video Software is compatible with MC 8 !!!

Regards,

William

Avid Media Composer and Symphony on MACS (5.5, 6) with Mojos and Blackmagic cards / Caldigit SAS storage / Resolve for grading [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 7 2014 1:28 PM In reply to

Re: MC 7/8 crashes when CAPS LOCK and scrub

I agree William. We also are having the same issue. It runs with the 4K box, but there are also sync discrepancies between the SDI grading monitor, the HDMI client monitor and the computer monitors. The Caps Lock crashes are a real issue, as editors use the scrub feature routinely. 

Black Magic, you have wonderful products, but this issue was not mentioned in any of your literature when we researched prior to purchase. Not to mention it is an issue with both MC 7 and 8. 

Please provide a solution and or workaround.

Thanks Joe

• Mon, Jul 7 2014 3:14 PM In reply to

• chillyche
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Brooklyn, NY
    • Posts 158
    • Points 1,855

I've got the blackmagic ultra studio mini monitor, and the same scrub problem.  It worked with MC 7.0.0, however.  Just not with any recent 7 updates.  

Win7 x64 Intel Core i7-3770K @3.5 GHz 32 GB RAM MC 7.0 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 7 2014 3:35 PM In reply to

Just a heads up that my situation is on one of the new Mac Pro's. That said, it seems that the issues reside with both MC for Mac and PC. 

I just spoke with Black Magic, and they are aware of the "Caps Lock" scrub issue and are working to correct the issue. They were however, not aware of the issue regarding aliasing on graphics on both the HDMI and SDI outputs. Even in high res with multiple compressions tested, stiil jagged aliasing around all graphics, imported or created within title tool.

I may have more info on that one later today.

We have also flagged a sync delay discrepancy between the HDMI-SDI and thunderbolt to DVI outputs on both the computer and Ultra Studio 4K.

Cheers

• Tue, Jul 8 2014 12:11 PM In reply to

• STEF
    • Not Ranked
    • France
    • Posts 22
    • Points 320

As you know BMD are low cost solutions ...

For much price, you have AJA or Matrox wich seems to rock !

Asus z9PE D8 WS 2x E5 2687w, 32 GB memory Nvidia 770 4 GB Blackmagic Decklink HD Extreme Windows 7 64b on Samsung Proi 256 SSD Media : Raid0 5x 1... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 8 2014 12:29 PM In reply to

STEF:

As you know BMD are low cost solutions ...

For much price, you have AJA or Matrox wich seems to rock !

Hi STEF

I guess my question would be, are you using an AJA Io XT with a new Mac Pro and Avid MC 7.03-4?

It is the same price as the Black Magic Utra Studio 4K.

Cheers

Joe

• Tue, Jul 8 2014 12:48 PM In reply to

• TVPROD
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 3 2010
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 25
    • Points 405

Your words are not very useful, Stef.

I had a AVID MojoDX (4x BMD card price) before and had some crashes also sometimes. I have Matrox MXO in one station, and a few months (years ?) ago, you couldn't work with 1080p for example. Aja had some problems with Avid and their Kona HLi also last year... BMD, AJA or Matrox pro cards are in the same price range.

BMD are not so low cost solutions. And if in you PC you want to use Resolve, Premiere, and Avid, you don't have so many choices... And in our Macs, the BMD cards works really fine with Avid (6.5), Premiere CC 2014, Resolve 10, FinalCut 7 and X ! Good job for a "low cost" card, no ?

But when one manufacturer claims in its compatibility chart "Avid MC 7x + later", we just need a functionnal product. 

This problem confirms that : when you have a working well workstation, don't modify it and just work !!! (but in my case, I made a new workstation, so, I had to buy new products...)

Avid Media Composer and Symphony on MACS (5.5, 6) with Mojos and Blackmagic cards / Caldigit SAS storage / Resolve for grading [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 11 2014 5:54 PM In reply to

• ajcatoline
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 29
    • Points 410

I too am a longtime Avid user and VERY dissapointed with this Blackmagic Caps Lock and scrub bug.  I have the Blackmagic Ultra Studio 4K, which is a great product at an affordable price.  It seems a patch is needed from both Avid and Blackmagic to solve this.  Otherwise why are these two companies officially supporting each other if they cannot get their products to work together correctly????

AVID PLEASE GET ON THE BALL AND put out a patch to fix this problem!!!  Please listen to your pro community as you say you do.  thanks!

A.J. Catoline

Pro TV Editor, Los Angeles

New Mac Pro Trash Can 3.5 Ghz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 (Ivy Bridge) Blackmagic Ultra Studio 4K Avid MC 7.03 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 11 2014 6:24 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Hi AJ, I understand your frustration but I also see this as a learning curve, Matrox has been with Avid since version 5 and actually nowadays, after some adjustments in Avids new 64 bits playing out engine , works d ** d well.

Aja came here at Avid version 5,5 and are rather close to Matrox behaviour, we are seeing some errors reported from time to time.

BM didn´t came until version 6 and seems to still have a couple of things to fix to get the best performance.

and, as you wrote

ajcatoline:

which is a great product at an affordable price. 

price can also be one of the factors here

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller