Latest post Thu, Jul 10 2014 3:51 AM by Ervz Tia (Tikboy). 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 8 2014 12:51 AM

Sony AVCHD Workflow: Finder, Package File

Hello,

We just got a new SonyNX30 (AVCHD) and loving it. Can you please share your workflow: INGEST-LOG-EDIT... ?

1. What do you use for ingesting, quick viewing, managing the clips from the card (Mac OS 10.8 / 10.6)?

2. How do you deal with 'package files' scenario? : Mounting the SD card on our new Macs, the 'AVCHD' folder shows up as a single package file (so I hav to do 'show package' key stroke), but on the older ones, it shows as normal folder/directory.

Hope to hear from you. Thanks!

Avid MC 8.3 | OSX 10.8.5 | MacPro 8-Core, 24 GB | HDV/H264/AVCHD/DV/, Sony HVR-Z1/Z7, Canon EOS [view my complete system specs]

Ervz Tia | Video Productions
    WM Communications, Asia-Pacific | Philippines

--

• Tue, Jul 8 2014 8:07 PM In reply to

Re: Sony AVCHD Workflow: Finder, Package File

Copy the card with folders intact to an Originals folder on your Mac that will be archived to some type of backup device. 

AMA link to the copy on your drive using the AVCHD Folder option.

Peruse your footage and sub-clip your selects.

Transcode the sub-clips to your DNxHD codec of choice.

Edit away.

Daytime Gig Gear Hardware: HP Z820 32gb ram • AJA Kona LHi • Xtore 5tb RAID • NVidia Quadro 5000 • JVC 24" HD-SDI monitor • Avid Artist Color &... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 9 2014 1:04 AM In reply to

Thanks. Will this auto-extract the package file/folder? The camera is on the field today.

Avid MC 8.3 | OSX 10.8.5 | MacPro 8-Core, 24 GB | HDV/H264/AVCHD/DV/, Sony HVR-Z1/Z7, Canon EOS [view my complete system specs]

--

• Wed, Jul 9 2014 2:38 AM In reply to

If you do as SamDogDigital says - put the ENTIRE contents of your card into a folder (ideally named the same way you'd name a tape, for easy reference - maybe a format like [YYYYMMDD]-[Card##]), and then AMA link to that folder, then yes, all of the clips in that folder will show up in the bin.

Don't worry about doing anything at the Finder level, at all, aside from the initial copy of everything.  Just copy the entire card into a volume folder.  Don't worry about how it appears in the Finder.  Apple changed the way AVCHD appears in more recent versions of OSX - it once appeared as files and folders, but now appears as essentially a single QuickTime "file" package.  Again, disregard that.  Once you get it into Avid (or any other edit software), it behaves the same no matter what OSX version you're on.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 9 2014 3:59 AM In reply to

Ok, that is a relief!

What application would you recommend for viewing/logging the asset (outside Avid)? We're recently playing with AdobeBridge and it works fine with .MTS clips in a regular folder but not on a package volume.

Thanks!

--

• Wed, Jul 9 2014 5:16 AM In reply to

• vertedge
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 64
    • Points 765

If you have a choice, log in Avid. Working with MTS files directly can be problematic as there may be spanned clips. Also, working to get all of the metadata in correctly can sometimes be problematic. I'm sure others have workflows that work, but I think logging, subclipping, then transcoding as mentioned earlier is the most efficient way to go.

Mac Pro 2 x 2.8 Early 2008, 20GB Ram, NVidia GeForce GTX 570 and ATI Radeon HD 3870, OS X 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 9 2014 9:08 AM In reply to

Thanks, this is perfect for a one-man-team job. We're also looking for solution when we have a non-Avid guy doing the logging/selecting of the clips, before the editorial.

--

• Wed, Jul 9 2014 9:32 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Ervz Tia (Tikboy):
    We're also looking for solution when we have a non-Avid guy doing the logging/selecting of the clips, before the editorial.

My own recommendations for this, and also what I do myself when being out mobile, is to use my MBP and Avid with the card direct connected to it and do all the loggings, maybe also some fast edits.

When working further in this project on other stations just to copy the bins from the logging station and relink to the copied card on the main station.

Seems like you need one more 299 bucks Avid license Smile

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Thu, Jul 10 2014 2:12 AM In reply to

Thanks. Sorry for note being clear. I mean 'non-Avid' application/solution. For example, recently we found that Adobe Bridge seems close to what we want (thumbnails, quick playback, etc..), but it can only read normal folder/files, not the package ones.

--

• Thu, Jul 10 2014 2:26 AM In reply to

Maybe VLC?  I don't have a AVCHD volume in front of me to test it, but it might work.

Otherwise, maybe Lightworks?

Or, if you double-click the package in the Finder, it opens up a QuickTime window, and you can select individual clips to watch, opening them in QuickTime.  That might be all you need.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 10 2014 3:51 AM In reply to

Helpful suggestions! Please keep 'em flowing.

--

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller