Latest post Sat, Aug 2 2014 1:11 PM by Kenton.VanNatten. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Aug 1 2014 9:54 PM

What is the best way to organize video with in Avid?

I'm always confused by how Avid organizes files, and it seems to me that beggining books do not explain how does Avid organize video when I import it. What is the best way to organize video with in Avid? How do I move my video to another computer once I imported it into Avid?

Is it wise if multiple people are working on a different parts of a project, if they render a each of there piece out, and then import all the pieces into one new project, is that bad because of each time, something is rendered out, the video quality decreases?

Filed under: , , , ,
  • Fri, Aug 1 2014 10:36 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,365
    • Points 16,840

Re: What is the best way to organize video with in Avid?

Avid organizes your imported media into numbered folders such as D:/Avid MediaFiles/mxf/1.  You must maintain this structure.  If you move your media to another computer you must maintain this structure at the root level of any drives you move or copy to.

Within your workspace, you can organize clips, sequences, etc in Avid bins in any way that makes sense for you.  These are simply links to the media.

As for sharing, you can have copies of your media on each system and simply exchange bins of sequences with other editors.  If you have kept the Avid MediaFiles structure intact the sequences will automatically relink properly, no need to render everything out.

And that's the nickle tour of what is a very nuanced and robust media management system.

• Fri, Aug 1 2014 11:58 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,386
    • Points 97,010

Long-term user and past moderator drbgaijin has created a series of tutorials on a good workflow for managing media in Avid.  You'll find the introductory video at http://www.screencast.com/t/VB4qngQDz9.  Thoroughly recommended.

Even if you choose not to adopt his process in full the tutorials give a lot of good background information on how Avid manages its resources.

Robert Perrett:
    Is it wise if multiple people are working on a different parts of a project, if they render a each of there piece out, and then import all the pieces into one new project, is that bad because of each time, something is rendered out, the video quality decreases?
    The answer to that question is "it depends".  You can choose the quality at which you render effects.  If you select a higher compression rate or a lower bit depth than your original media then you will definitely see degradation.  If you work with a codec that matches or exceeds the quality of your orignal media you can go surprisingly far before subjectively degradation becomes apparent.

The bottom line is this:  when you import those edits if you are not happy with the effects render quality you can always re-render at a higher quality prior to final export.

If on the other hand by that question you mean that they're going to mix down their final cuts to new video and export that the answer is a little different.  That can work, but it ties the hands of the final editor somewhat.  If you find that the balance of the individual edits used in the assembly need fine tuning to make a coherent whole, you can't.  It would be far better to transfer just the bins containing those edits to the master project, rebuild any titles that need it and render any effects.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Aug 2 2014 3:54 AM In reply to

What is AMA Link? What is the difference between importing video clips and using AMA Link? I tried both and it seems to me that AMA Link is better than importing video clips. It takes no time at all, and look like it is a high video quality. Is there a disadvantage in using AMA Link?

• Sat, Aug 2 2014 5:44 AM In reply to

Robert Perrett:
    What is AMA Link?
    Avid creates "clips" which are just links back to the original media clips

Robert Perrett:
    importing video clips
    Avid creates new Avid format media from the original files.
    Robert Perrett:
    using AMA Link
    AMA clips are only links to original media

Robert Perrett:
    Is there a disadvantage in using AMA Link?
    Different users will give yoiu different answers.

Your experiences will vary dependant on the power of your computer, the length and complexity of your timeline and the original file format of your media.

For me AMA has got better with almost all releases of MC, but it is still not my preferred way of working with any media formats other than Sony XDCAM EX and ProRes.
    AMA can still be prone to breaking its links with the original media. 

• Sat, Aug 2 2014 11:14 AM In reply to

I teach a lot of AVid related training courses, some certified but a lot deal with specific uses of MC in the market place I work in.

I refer to importing as a "legacy" method of ingesting content into MC as is tape capture now that we are largely tapeless.

The key differences with import are:

When you import you have to configure the import settings correctly. Get that wrong and you have to import again.
    With AMA you can adjust the handling of the source via the source settings live.

Import is a lot slower than AMA and Consolidate/Transcode. I've seen it be 6 times slower.

If you import media and then need to batch import it at a higher res for conform you have to import the whole source file at the higher res. With AMA you only need to consolidate/transcode what you use in the sequence.

You can AMA sources and set the consolidate/transcode as a background process (no option for that with import)

You can set up Dynamic Medi Folders (like watch folders) to AMA link and consolidate/Transcode completely in the background. No options for that with import.

AMA linking now supports Alpha which it didn't do in the past which was one reason import was still used.

Working with RAW formats like Red gives you complete control of the metadata handling within MC.

I could go on but that's a start.

On the managing media side there are a number of ways oif moving and managing media but I would say I don't think AMA is yet robust enough for that. If you need to move projects and media I suggest one station does the AMA linking and consolidate/transcode to Avid media and then move that.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Sat, Aug 2 2014 11:18 AM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,365
    • Points 16,840

My ingest rules of thumb:

1. AMA link whenever possible.

2. AMA -> Transcode whenever necessary (it's necessary often for many reasons.)

3. Import if nothing else works.

4.  Audio-only, and graphics always get imported unless there is a really compelling reason not to.

• Sat, Aug 2 2014 11:51 AM In reply to

Re: 4., AMA-ing to audio does now (7.0.something) support iXML metadata. AMA can also recognize 5.1 and 7.1 monophonic groups, which File->import does not.

BUT — and this is a biggie — AMA-linking to audio will not allow Perf Slip.

Things are not getting any easier...

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Aug 2 2014 1:11 PM In reply to

smrpix:

My ingest rules of thumb:

1. AMA link whenever possible.

2. AMA -> Transcode whenever necessary (it's necessary often for many reasons.)

3. Import if nothing else works.

4.  Audio-only, and graphics always get imported unless there is a really compelling reason not to.

I use the same rule of thumb

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller