Latest post Thu, Aug 7 2014 9:03 AM by Amy Coop. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Aug 6 2014 12:27 PM

• Amy Coop
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 6 2014
    • Posts 5
    • Points 55

Relinking & transcoding advice. MC6.05

Hi folks.

I am working on a short film, shot on the Alexa in Prores 4444 logC. We did the initial assembly on my MC6.05 working with AMA to the original camera rushes. The project was then passed on to our editor who transcoded everything to DNX36 and relinked it for the subsequent edits. The project has now come back to me for final amends and tweaking due to a schedule clash with the editor and I want to either relink to my original AMA folders or alternatively transcode to DNX36 on my system in order to make the edit flow a little more smoothly.

So any suggestions on how to best re-transcode the entire project to DNX36 on my system and relink that to the existing edits etc, or alternatively to just relink via AMA to original camera rushes would be appreciated.

After cutting on Avid for 7 years to about 2009 I have been cutting on FCP since then and am currently coming back over to Avid so am quite rusty...

Thanks!

Amy

Avid MC6.05

2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.4ghz quad core Xeon, 16GB ram

OSX 10.7.5

ATI Radeon HD5870 graphics card

ProAvio Editbox 4TB Raid5

• Wed, Aug 6 2014 2:18 PM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,625
    • Points 18,630

Re: Relinking & transcoding advice. MC6.05

If you don't have the DNxHD 36 material you will have to link the offline media back to your original AMA files anyway before you could transcode again. How you do that depends on how the 36 material was created - the easiest way is to have a look on youtube at the AMA offline online workflow..

http://youtu.be/hj4Gwvojxb4

this one explains it well

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Wed, Aug 6 2014 2:48 PM In reply to

• Amy Coop
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 55

Thanks John, I'll check that out now.

A.

• Wed, Aug 6 2014 3:40 PM In reply to

• Amy Coop
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 55

Hi John

Unfortunately none of the methods outlined in the video worked. We never created the DNX36 footage on this system, it has only ever been on the editors system (some 300 miles away) so there is no DNX36 media on this system at all, only the camera rushes linked by AMA (which incidentally have relinked automatically but not to the sequence).

Thanks

Amy

• Wed, Aug 6 2014 4:02 PM In reply to

By right clicking the sequence in the bin and selecting relink you should get an option near the top to relink to selected open bins. Make sure the bins with the AMA sources in are already open!

deselect the current project option and make sure the drive selection at the top says all drives.

That should re-link.

If that fails copy the sequence to it's own empty bin. USe bin dsiplay show refeerence clips. Make sure you have source path and source file column headings enabled. Pick one clip and look at it's location and clip name.

In a new bin do an AMA link to that clip specifically (or if part of a crad link the whole card.) That should cause the sequence master clip to spring back online as well as the copy in the sequence. Worst case you do that on mass for the rest.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Wed, Aug 6 2014 4:39 PM In reply to

• Amy Coop
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 55

Thanks for the advice but still nothing is working.

The Source path and source file coloumns are empty for the referenced clips from the sequence...

:-/

• Thu, Aug 7 2014 1:21 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,625
    • Points 18,630

Amy Coop:

Thanks for the advice but still nothing is working.

The Source path and source file coloumns are empty for the referenced clips from the sequence...

:-/

Amy - that's a tough one. From where you are sitting it is hard to know how the editor went about transcoding the AMA material to dnx36 and whether he used the correct workflow.

If the editor still has the AMA I'd ask them to do the relinking of the sequences to AMA before returning the project to you. That way the sequence would already be linked to your AMA clips.

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Thu, Aug 7 2014 2:06 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,625
    • Points 18,630

Looking at that tute again he does advise batch importing at the end - I wouldn't do this as it is actually quicker to relink to your AMA files and transcode. Also that won't work with certain volume based media like XDCAM in MP4 format because Avid does not support import of that material.

Try this - you can see your offline DNx36 source clips in the bin with the sequence if you followed the tutorial - choose one. Make sure you have the AMA bin opened with the same AMA clip selected. Then on the offline DNx36 source clip choose relink to selected items in open bins option, with all the other settings like allow relinking to AMA files, all available drives etc - this is really important that you set the relink options to cast the widest possible net - anything that restricts it should be set to not restrict - eg any project/ any kind of media etc. Basically all the options in the relink dialog box are filters and having one set the wrong way can stop the relink. If that works for that one clip try doing it for a batch at once... 

John

• Thu, Aug 7 2014 6:55 AM In reply to

AMA linking and importing (even batch importing) can't be mixed, its one or the other. If the transcoded clips have lost the source file and path I'd suspect an "unusual" ingest method was used. BAsically if the clips in the sequence have no info related to their sources then you have no method of re-linking or re-ingesting.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

-

Filed under:
  • Thu, Aug 7 2014 7:10 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,625
    • Points 18,630

Pat Horridge:
    AMA linking and importing (even batch importing) can't be mixed, its one or the other. If the transcoded clips have lost the source file and path I'd suspect an "unusual" ingest method was used. BAsically if the clips in the sequence have no info related to their sources then you have no method of re-linking or re-ingesting.

The OP didn't batch import. This was just something being ill-advised at the end of the tute I pointed her too. It wouldn't necessarily break the workflow because the guy did everything else right up until that point, which was linking back to the AMA media...

John

• Thu, Aug 7 2014 7:31 AM In reply to

I wasn't implying that was the mistake just clarifying the limitation of AMA and importing for clarity.

One step I would take is to get the editor on their system to check their DNX36 clips have the correct source path and source name. and that the clips in their sequence also reflect that.

The key is finding where the problem occured. Also more information on just what the seond editor did.

It's likley the original AMA master clips didn't re-link on the 2nd editors system (AMA links rarely survive a system move) so did the 2nd editor re-AMA link and then transcode (or just batch import to DNX36)

I presume the OP original sequence sent to the 2nd editor does link fine to the AMA ounted clips on the OPs system? so whats different aboutn that first sequence and the one returned from the 2nd editor.

But if this is time critical I'd pay for an Avid guru to come on board...

-

Filed under:
  • Thu, Aug 7 2014 9:03 AM In reply to

• Amy Coop
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 55

Thanks for the advice and pointers, it is much appreciated.

We have a notional pre-delivery deadline of tomorrow but fortunately the 2nd editor can make the necessary amends and export a QT for the funding body and then we can drill down into the other details more over the next week. If they approve this cut we may even be able to just go straight to the online and grade, which doubtless will present it's own set of problems :-)

Thanks again

Amy

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller