Latest post Sun, Sep 14 2014 10:12 PM by rachinc. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Aug 12 2014 2:34 PM

• rachinc
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jun 17 2012
    • Posts 38
    • Points 600

How can you tell your field order of your timeline?

This might be a silly question...  Let me give some quick context before I ask the question. In Premiere, when you create a new sequence, you can choose what preset you want the sequence to be. And then if you drop a clip on the sequence that doesnt match the sequence settings, Premiere will ask you if you want to change sequence settings to match clip settings.

1) Does Avid have something like that?

I realize that when you start a project you tell Avid your project type (i.e. 1080p/29.97). And based on that project type, it makes your sequence settings into 1080p/29.97... But what if the person who shot the footage shot it "Upper Fields" or "Lower Fields" instead of progressive? In Premiere, you can go to sequence settings and under "fields" you can choose "no fields progressive scan"  (even it was shot at "lower fields" for example). 

2) How do you change "field" timeline settings in Avid?

3) How do I know that my timeline settings match my clip settings? (Or vice versa?)

I right click on the timeline in Avid and I see a "timeline settings" option, but when that window pops up, I dont see anything about fields. 

I'm just now noticing that my project says "1080p/29.97" but the footage in the bin says "1090i/29.97". So because my project settings are progressive, does that mean all of my sequences have been progressive too? Even though the footage is interalaced? (I'm cutting interlaced footage in a progressive timeline?) And Avid didn't even bother to tell me that my timeline settings don't match clip settings (the way that Premiere let's you know)? 

• Tue, Aug 12 2014 4:03 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,361
    • Points 16,770

Re: How can you tell your field order of your timeline?

As you have observed, Avid gives you the information but not a popup.  The other thing to note is whether there are green dots on your clips indicating a frame rate conversion.

You can change your project settings to any common frame-rate type i.e. 29.97->59.94 i or p by going to the format tab in your project window.  Edited sequences will retain their initial settings unless you right click on the sequence in the bin, choose refresh sequences and choose the properties you want to change ("all" is usually fine.)

You can modify the field motion of a clip by adding a field motion column to your bin and using the drop down, and it can be modified with a timewarp effect on a clip-by-clip basis as well.

• Tue, Aug 12 2014 4:24 PM In reply to

If you import footage you can specify the field order but if you get it wrong you have to re-import.

If you AMA link and it's a format that can have a different field order then the AMA source setting will let you change the field order. And of course you can use field stepping (in an interlaced project) to observe field order as you fiedls stpe the sourc or record viewers.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Tue, Aug 12 2014 4:44 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,375
    • Points 40,765

Avid - unfortunately - is stuck in the mindset that the only environment it must serve for delivery is the broadcast world.  As a result, your project choices will only reflect common broadcast delivery formats.  That said, to your Questions:

rachinc:

And then if you drop a clip on the sequence that doesnt match the sequence settings, Premiere will ask you if you want to change sequence settings to match clip settings.

1) Does Avid have something like that?

I realize that when you start a project you tell Avid your project type (i.e. 1080p/29.97). And based on that project type, it makes your sequence settings into 1080p/29.97... But what if the person who shot the footage shot it "Upper Fields" or "Lower Fields" instead of progressive? In Premiere, you can go to sequence settings and under "fields" you can choose "no fields progressive scan"  (even it was shot at "lower fields" for example). 

No.  It does not. 

For you specific project (based on how I read your message) I think you should be working in the 1080i 59.94 project setting.  That is another way of saying 1080 29.97i.  You can change your sequence settings with minimum of fuss.  There are several ways.  I suggest right clicking on the sequence in it's bin, choosing Modify and then navigating to Set Format and choosing 1080i/59.94.  Avid will make a duplicate the sequence and add some info to the name.  Then in main project bin (where all your other bins are located) go to the Format Tab at the top and change the Project Type to 1080i/59.94.  And lastly (just to be safe) go back to the bin where the modified sequence lives, select it, right click, go down to Refresh Sequence and click on All.  You now have changed your sequence to interlaced.

rachinc:

2) How do you change "field" timeline settings in Avid?

You can not.  It will be what Avid has set up as correct for that delivery standard.  This not always a bad thing.  Interlace is really a by product of the broadcast world.  So staying with broadcast standards is not a bad thing.  That is what many entities expect / demand.  The issue is really understanding how to check that the field order is correct on any suspect clip and how to correct it if it is wrong.  That is a longer discussion.

rachinc:

3) How do I know that my timeline settings match my clip settings? (Or vice versa?)

First you need to know what the Sequence settings are.  I believe the MC documentation can explain that.  To know what a clip is, go to your source bin and add the two following bin columns:  Field Motion and Field Order.  These will give you the information about a clip as best as Avid can determine it (not always correct).

Good luck,

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Wed, Aug 13 2014 1:20 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,625
    • Points 18,630

rachinc:
    'm just now noticing that my project says "1080p/29.97" but the footage in the bin says "1090i/29.97". So because my project settings are progressive, does that mean all of my sequences have been progressive too? Even though the footage is interalaced? (I'm cutting interlaced footage in a progressive timeline?) And Avid didn't even bother to tell me that my timeline settings don't match clip settings (the way that Premiere let's you know)? 

Jef answered most questions but yes - your timeline is automatically progressive in a progressive project and unlike FCP or Premiere Avid has no such warnings. What Avid will do is exactly the same a Premiere and FCP if you drop an interlaced clip into a progressive timeline it will deinterlace it (whether it works well in any NLE is another discussion). It does not restrict you from changing the sequence to interlaced as Jef described.

The problem with the Premiere and FCP approach (and this is just my opinion) is that it dumbs the user down to just "accepting" that everything is OK - and the end result is that programs and TVC's going to air have muddled fields. Remember PP and FCP only give you this warning on the first clip you drop into a timeline. The sooner fields are completely gone the better. They are no longer relevant in a flat panel world but unfortunately many broadcasters still broadcast in interlaced.

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Sun, Sep 14 2014 10:12 PM In reply to

• rachinc
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jun 17 2012
    • Posts 38
    • Points 600

"I suggest right clicking on the sequence in it's bin, choosing Modify and then navigating to Set Format and choosing 1080i/59.94.  Avid will make a duplicate the sequence and add some info to the name.  Then in main project bin (where all your other bins are located) go to the Format Tab at the top and change the Project Type to 1080i/59.94"

I have a project that is 1080/23.76 in Avid Media Composer 8. I was watching a Lynda.com video and just for fun, I wanted to change the project to 1080i/59.94. So I went to the format tab, and under Project Type drop down, I only see options for 23.98/ There are zero options for 59.94..... Ok so I did what you said. Took one of my sequences, right clicked and pressed modify,  and under set format I chose "1080i/59.94" and pressed ok. (This sequence is called Test). Avid made a copy of "Test" and called it "Test (29.97i).02"... So just to make sure it works I doubled clicked another sequence such as highlight, just to get out of the current sequence I'm in. Then I double click on  "Test (29.97i).02" to get back to that sequence to open it and Avid says "The sequence frame rate does not match the project frame rate. Do you want to load a copy of this sequence that has been modified to match the project's play rate?" I say no. And I'm still in teh highlight sequence, even though I double clicked on  "Test (29.97i).02" and said no... Ok so I'm double clicking on  "Test (29.97i).02" and saying YES this time even though I dont want to....and it makes a new sequence for me called "Test (29.97i).02 (23.976p).01" but I dont want this sequence bc this one means its back to 23.98 fps again right? So even though I converted the sequence settings I still cant edit that sequence. 

And I stlil cant change my project settings to 1080i59.94 in the format tab. Why not?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller