Latest post Thu, Aug 14 2014 5:22 PM by mudshark73. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Aug 13 2014 6:15 PM

• mudshark73
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 10
    • Points 120

Relink with trimmed, color corrected clips

I keep finding info on workflows for working offline with low res clips, then relinking (via AMA) to the camera raw clips. This works since the camera raw files are the same duration as the low res clips that were used to edit with. I am woking on a project with DNx36 transcodes with AMA link. We are close to locking. I am sending out footage for color correction and getting the clips back with a few frames of handles and then conforming the sequence in MC7. I did a test where I made some trimmed clips like the ones I will get back from the color correction facility. If I try to relink AMA to files, I get an error message since the clip's duration doesn't match.

Is there a way to do this workflow and stay in the "link to AMA" world? Or do I need to consolidate my sequence with the handle length, making the clips Avid media and then do a batch import with the new trimmed CC clips? What is the best workflow for this scenario (connecting to new trimmed clips, not the camera raw footage)?

Thanks in advance,

Keith

• Wed, Aug 13 2014 6:24 PM In reply to

Re: Relink with trimmed, color corrected clips

How are you getting the files to the Colorist?

With Resolve, for example, you send an AAF and Resolve sends you one back with the Avid media already linked to it...nothing to do but copy the media to your drive and import the AAF.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Wed, Aug 13 2014 6:30 PM In reply to

• mudshark73
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 10
    • Points 120

I send and EDL to the colorist. AAF sounds like a great way to do it, but they ask for EDLs.

• Wed, Aug 13 2014 10:30 PM In reply to

• VK
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Nov 25 2013
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 46
    • Points 510

I would do what Kevin says and make the colorist use the AAf. Otherwise ask the colorist to send back the files with their full duration.  If you don't get the same duration, you will end up manually over cutting the shorter footage.

Another option is to consolidate your avid sequence first, send that EDL to the Colorist, and then have the Colorist send back the files with full durations.  This will make the process faster.  

Mac Pro OS 10.7.4. Avid MC/Symphony 7, FCP 7, Autodesk Smoke, Davinci Resolve Mac Pro 4,1. 8 core, 20 gigs Ram, Kona 3 [view my complete system specs]

---------

VK

Online Editor & Colorist 

• Thu, Aug 14 2014 5:22 PM In reply to

• mudshark73
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 10
    • Points 120

Thanks for the responses. I will check with the colorist about AAF. The alternative would be to consolidate the sequence, but then I'd have to batch import the new clips. I thought I had heard that you could relink to new clips using AMA with MC7.

Thanks again.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller