Latest post Thu, Sep 11 2014 6:39 PM by vlyman. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Sep 10 2014 9:23 PM

• vlyman
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 10 2014
    • Posts 2
    • Points 20

what is the best way to capture my 23.98 HDV footage in Avid?

Hi All, 

I'm editing a project with some 3 year old footage, and encountering serious problems in Avid. I have 80 hours of HDV footage and 53 hours of DSLR HD footage which will have to be combined. I know other platforms support HDV better than Avid, but I am stuck with Avid for a number of reasons. 

The HDV footage was shot mostly in 24pscan mode (23.98/60i). Some of it was shot in 24Apscan mode (which is basically the same thing except that data is written into the tape so that it could be edited with true 24p should the need arise). All of the DSLR footage was shot in 23.98.

My first big question is that the deck and Avid seem to only communicate when I'm capturing at 29.97. This is true when I am capturing straight from the deck, or flowing from a deck through a black magic card. So the first big question is: what happens to the resolution of my 23.98 footage when it is captured at 29.97? I'm assuming that the software is adding approx 6 frames to each second. This couldn't be good. Has anyone had experience with this, and if so, what were the results of such a digitization or were you able to find a workaround?

Here's the second question:
    I shot the footage on a Sony z5u three years ago, at a resolution of 1440 by 1080. I have two options for bringing it into Avid. One straight from a deck, which actually allows me to set the raster at 1440 by 1080. The other is to flow from the deck through a black magic card and into Avid. My question about this second method, is that there is no 1440 by 1080 raster option. So the footage is automatically being up-rezed. It would eventually have to be up-rezed anyhow, as the rest of the footage is 1920 by 1080. But is this the best/right way/time to do it? The other issue with using the black magic route is that it divorces the resulting file from the original timecode that was written into the tape, so I could never go back to those in an online. Not sure how problematic this will be, as I'm digitizing at DnXHD 220. The reason I'm interested in using black magic at all is because it's a smoother process. Going straight from deck the process stops every time there was a timecode break, which for HDV was often because it's a fundamentally unstable format.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

• Thu, Sep 11 2014 2:22 AM In reply to

Re: what is the best way to capture my 23.98 HDV footage in Avid?

Does your deck have HD SDI out?
    If yes can you use RS422 for Deck Control? 

Which release version of MC are you using?

• Thu, Sep 11 2014 6:39 PM In reply to

• vlyman
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 10 2014
    • Posts 2
    • Points 20

Re: what is the best way to capture my 23.98 HDV footage in Avid?

Thanks for answering here.  The deck has component out, Firewire, and HDMI.  I don't actually see SDI.

I am using MC 8.1.0.

If the footage was shot in 23.98fps, at 1080 60i, is bringing it in at 29.97 the wrong thing to do?  (let alone that I can't figure out any other way of bringing it in at the moment).  Thanks for your help.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller