Latest post Sun, Dec 14 2014 12:59 PM by Finbo. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Sep 20 2014 5:58 PM

• Finbo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 9 2014
    • Posts 50
    • Points 590

Can you export a sequence to a SxS card?

As per the title, is this possible in 7.0.3?

And, if it is, what is the workflow for SD & HD material?

Thanks

• Sat, Sep 27 2014 9:48 AM In reply to

• Finbo
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 50
    • Points 590

Re: Can you export a sequence to a SxS card?

As there have been no replies, then I presume that it's not possible?

• Sun, Sep 28 2014 1:40 PM In reply to

• Chris Medico
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 24 2006
    • Central NC
    • Posts 375
    • Points 4,685

Possible, yes. Practical, no.

People have done it to show its possible. The number of hoops they jumped through made it not practical to do for anything other than the fun of showing its possible.

Primary: Intel i7-3930k @ 4.2ghz, 16gig RAM, Nvidia GTS250, Windows-7 64bit, MC 6.0.3 System 2: Intel i7-920 @ 3.2ghz, 12 Gig Ram, nVidia GTX670... [view my complete system specs]

I've not opened Liquid since early 2011. I miss the old girl but life is change.

• Mon, Sep 29 2014 3:57 PM In reply to

• MikeyB
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Edlesborough, UK
    • Posts 482
    • Points 5,965
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Moderator: Avid Certified Instructors - Video

I've just been investigating this in v8.1. It's possible to export directly to a UDF-formatted SxS card as MXF, via the Output menu. I don't think it's possible to export as .mp4 without engaging in the hoop-jumping Chris Medico mentions.

MacBook Pro 15" 2016 2.7GHz i7 Radeon 455 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 29 2014 4:49 PM In reply to

• Finbo
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 50
    • Points 590

Is this only available in v8.1 and are you using Export to Device?

On v7.0.3 under the Output menu only XDCam and P2 appears. But when I connect my Sony SBAC-US20 SxS card reader, it doesnt recognise it and there's no mention of MXF??

• Mon, Sep 29 2014 6:52 PM In reply to

• MikeyB
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Edlesborough, UK
    • Posts 482
    • Points 5,965

Yes, I am using Export to Device. I chose XDCAM and it saw the SxS card (I actually had it in the Express Card slot in my MBP, but I gather a reader will work too). However, I understand this will only work with UDF formatted SxS cards, which require a specific driver to be installed, downloadable from the Sony web site.

I'm afraid I don't know if this is also possible in v7.0.3, so I may be leading you astray here!

• Wed, Dec 10 2014 8:48 PM In reply to

• Finbo
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 50
    • Points 590

MikeyB, I've now upgraded to V8.2.0 in the hope that this would work, but unfortunately it still doesn't.

The problem may be with my card reader. As soon as I put in a UDF formatted SxS card it switches into Read only mode rather than Read & Write. I'm not sure how to change this??

Also, you mention it only works with MXF files. Apologies for being slow, but how do I know it's a MXF file, rather than a MPEG4??

Thanks

• Wed, Dec 10 2014 9:18 PM In reply to

• Finbo
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 50
    • Points 590

Just to add, if I open Disk Utility (DU) on my Mac I can change any of these; ExFat, MacOS, MS-Dos, etc into Read & Write permissions by using Erase on the DU.

But it doesn't do the same with UDF.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Thu, Dec 11 2014 1:08 PM In reply to

• MikeyB
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Edlesborough, UK
    • Posts 482
    • Points 5,965

Hi,

Firstly, the format of the original media: 

On one of your SxS cards, have a look at the folder structure. If you've got .mp4 media it'll be in a folder called BPAV, and the media files will have .mp4 extensions.

Secondly, to be able to write to the SxS card:

you need to have the SxS UDF driver installed from the Sony web site:

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/sxsudfdriver

UDF isn't supported by DU, as you've already discovered!

• Thu, Dec 11 2014 3:42 PM In reply to

• Finbo
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 50
    • Points 590

I have downloaded the SxS driver several times and did it again after the update to MC 8.2.0.

When you succesfully exported to the SxS card what format were you shooting on and did you format the card in camera, for example?

One of the things I have to deal with using my Sony PMW 400 is I shoot different formats for different clients, ranging from SD mode to HD 35mbps 4:2:0 to HD 50mbps 4:2:2.

Can you export to a SxS card using all of the above or only some?

• Thu, Dec 11 2014 5:45 PM In reply to

• MikeyB
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Edlesborough, UK
    • Posts 482
    • Points 5,965

Hi,

We used a card that had already been formatted in the camera. We shot in XDCAM HD50 (it's our standard codec). We didn't try any other formats, I'm afraid.

Also, are you using an SxS card reader, or an Express 34 card slot? On the Sony web site it says:

"Another driver, SxS Device Driver needs to be installed for using ExpressCard slot built in a laptop PC / Mac. Please load SxS Device Driver first and SxS UDF Driver second."

One 'wrinkle' we found was that although the resulting file on the card was fine, it was not 'visible' to the XDCAM Browser software - we presume that Avid didn't update Sony's clip database properly. It didn't bother us, but if that's an issue to you, we found it can be resolved by using Sony's 'Content Browser 2' software. Just point it at the exported file and re-export it to the same location (!). 

• Thu, Dec 11 2014 7:29 PM In reply to

• Finbo
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 50
    • Points 590

I'm using a Sony SxS card reader.

I may have some time off early next week to see if I can make it work.

I know some people use Content Browser to get around it as well. So, I'll give that a try as well. I was hoping for a more straightforward export to card direct from Avid, but we shall see...

• Sat, Dec 13 2014 7:36 PM In reply to

• Finbo
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 50
    • Points 590

Getting totally frustrated with this!!

Shot some material at Full HD 50mbps 4:2:2 in UDF mode. Yet again I downloaded the Sony SxS Driver. Ingested it into Avid MC 8.2.0 and reformatted the SxS card in the camera in the same mode. But every time I try to send it to my Sony SxS card reader, it doesn't recognise the machine and says 'connect XDCam device'.

If I try to export it to Desktop and drag and drop it onto the reformatted SxS card, it always fails to do so.

Looking at the SxS card, the material filmed at Full HD 50mbps 4:2:2 mode comes up as a .mxf file which is correct.

But looking at the SxS card reader (SBAC-US20), even with a reformatted card at 50mbps 4:2:2, it still says read only and not read and write if I right click and look under Get Info.

What am I doing wrong and what needs to be done to get this to finally work?!!?

• Sun, Dec 14 2014 12:59 PM In reply to

• Finbo
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 50
    • Points 590

The problem appears to be the Reader with a UDF formatted card. It always says read only. I can import material into Avid from the Reader, but that is it.

I've tried Content Browser. I admit that I haven't really used this, but if I try to import from the Reader this message appears: 'You don't have a right to access the file or writing is prohibited for the file'.

Under File, the option to format the card is greyed out as well and the Export option has nearly all of the options greyed out too. This is the same for both UDF and Fat

If I film material in HD Fat mode instead of UDF, the Reader says I have read and write permissions and in Content Browser I can then import the material as well.

So it appears to be a problem with UDF...any thoughts??

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller