Latest post Mon, Mar 30 2015 3:33 PM by usatraveler. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Sep 29 2014 8:46 AM

Fastest way to export HD for viewing puposes

Hi,

I am wondering what your experiences are for the fastest workflow in exporting HD sequences for viewing. Normally i use MXF export and transcode it with Adobe Media Encoder but that isn't failsafe because i get all kind of red flashes when frames are "corrupt" (which they are obviously not). This method takes a little less then 1:1 in overal time.

Te method i am turning to now is export to quicktime with the H264 codec straight away from avid. But it takes ages. About 2:1 in sequence length.

Generally i'am working with XDCAM HD 50Mbit footage. Which cannot be exported using Same as Source settings. I run a fairly fast Z420 system. When exporting from avid i use nowhere near te maximum capacity of my CPU and Memory.

For this workflow i prefer speed over quality

Would like to know your workflows.

HP Z440 | Win 7 | MC 8.5 | AJA KONA Lhi HP Z420 | Win 8 | MC 7.0.4 | AJA IO Express HP Z420 | Win 8 | MC 8.2 | Matrox MXO2 mini HP Z400 | Win 8 | MC... [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , ,
  • Mon, Sep 29 2014 10:01 AM In reply to

• Joachim Claus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Seeheim-Jugenheim, Germany
    • Posts 917
    • Points 11,740

Re: Fastest way to export HD for viewing puposes

The answer depends on what you use for "viewing". If it is your computer screen, then the fastest export is QuickTime Reference. You can play QT.Reference files with QuickTime player or many other players.

If it is not your computer screen, e.g. a TV set or an iPad, then I would use the above mentioned QT-Reference file and feed it into Squeeze, and select an appropriate destination format.

Joachim

SuperMicro Workstation 7048A-T Dual Xeon (10 cores) E5-2640v4 2.4GHz 128 GB RAM, PNY P4000, 1 PCIe SSD 400 GB (Intel SSDPEDMW400G4) 1 SSD 2 TB for UHD... [view my complete system specs]

Joachim Claus

• Mon, Mar 30 2015 1:57 PM In reply to

• buchel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 15 2006
    • Cologne, germany
    • Posts 60
    • Points 690

Late answer:

XDCAM HD is a Long Gop Codec so you are not able to export sameassource or QT Ref.

Since Quality does not matter we are going with DV25 and then further compression (mp4) with Soerenson Squeeze.

43 HP workstations from Z400 to Z800, WIN 7 64bit SP1 MC 7.0.2 and 7.0.3 Editshare shared storage 3x Energy 32TB ESA Group, 10GB connected 2x HP Pro... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 30 2015 3:33 PM In reply to

Overall, the end goal is to be able to export a QuickTime Reference of your sequence.  HOW you get there depends on a number of factors.

If you're working a lot with XDCam, you MIGHT consider buying the Calibrated{Q} XD Decode product.  It enables QT-Referencing this codec.

http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/Products/XDDecodeV2/QXD.php

On the Mac, the similar solution is to install a Final Cut Pro Studio product - like the $299 Final Cut Pro X, OR the $49 Compressor or Motion.  All of those will install the Pro Apps codecs, including XDCam - which then allows me to export QT References of sequences that use XDCam media.  The Calibrated product would enable a similar workflow on Windows.

So, on the Mac, my workflow is generally to consolidate the raw stuff (or just consolidate my SEQUENCE selecting the "AMA media only" option), and then QT-Ref it for exports.  And then, create outputs from Sorenson Squeeze (or your chosen favorite encoder) - which is MUCH better at creating the H264 files than MC is.

Otherwise, if you don't buy Calibrated, you can either mixdown your sequence to DNxHD and QT-Ref that sequence, OR transcode your sequence and export a QT-Ref of that.  The mixdown gives you something you can delete as soon as you finish creating your file in Squeeze.  A sequence transcode gives you material you can fairly easily make further edits on, and then QT-Ref a new edited sequence again.

Number of different ways to go.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller