Latest post Wed, Oct 1 2014 9:28 PM by jdirdack. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Sep 30 2014 10:54 PM

• jdirdack
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 26 2014
    • Posts 13
    • Points 185

Importing Sony f3 footage into MC8 (strange issues)

Hi everyone, college student and brand new MC user, and I just donwloaded MC8 onto my Macbook Pro (OSX 10.9.4, 2.2 GHZ i7, 16GB of RAM)

So my question to everyone is how how they get mpeg-4 footage into their avid (shot on a sony f3)? Avid won't let me ama link or import the files as they are, so, I've been looking around on different sites and found the sony ama plugin that i will donwload later after work.

But, just for experimenting, I tried loading my footage into Adobe media encoder CS6 and keep getting this error message "...Source file has no importable streams. Please check that its a valid video/audio file." But then, I decided to put my footage directly into premiere pro and it reads the footage just fine.

For the sake of experimenting further, I put one clip into a timeline, went to export>media>and exported a dnxhd file onto my desktop. Closed premiere, opened avid, tried to AMA link and import only to receive the same error message "invalid file name" that pops up if I try to just throw in the mp4. I don't understand, the source information in Finder says it is clearly a dnxhd.

Can anyone explain whats going on here?

thanks for the help!

2011 Mackbook pro 15 inch. 2.2 Ghz Intel Core i7. RAM: 16 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3. Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: ,
  • Wed, Oct 1 2014 4:17 AM In reply to

• Twosheds
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 15 2006
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 86
    • Points 930

Re: Importing Sony f3 footage into MC8 (strange issues)

We use the Sony F3 camera, AMA works fine as long as you have the entire folder structure of the F3 card. That includes all the XML files etc. Without that you are in trouble, you will need to transcode all the footage. I think MPEGStreamclip will work.

Media Composer with Symphony option v8.10.0, MacOSX 10.11.6, Avid DNxIO [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Oct 1 2014 4:44 AM In reply to

• jdirdack
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 13
    • Points 185

Thanks for the response!

I downloaded the plugin from Sony's website, I have the entire drive that was handed with me with the original flie structure, all the xml's, all the metadata, and I am still getting this "invalid filename" error. I just am at a loss for what is going on.

mpeg streamclip was the first application I turned to to transcode, and that still doesn't work either. Really just not sure what's going on here.

2011 Mackbook pro 15 inch. 2.2 Ghz Intel Core i7. RAM: 16 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3. Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Oct 1 2014 3:54 PM In reply to

"Invalid file name" can mean there is an illegal character somewhere in the path.  Most often, it's a slash ( / ).

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Wed, Oct 1 2014 9:28 PM In reply to

• jdirdack
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 13
    • Points 185

Thanks. After a long struggle I believe the path was part of the issue. that still doesn't totally explain why Avid wasn't accepting the dnxhd file I exported out of Adobe, but, I just might never know. I also think part of the solution was downloading this free software (different than the sony ama plugin): https://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro-xdcam/resource.downloads.bbsccms-assets-micro-xdcam-downloads-PDZKP1XDCAMTransferSoftwareTC

really fast and easy to use, and my footage is ama/importing into MC just fine.

Thanks for the help guys!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller