Latest post Mon, Nov 17 2014 1:09 PM by yuvii. 20 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Oct 6 2014 4:33 AM In reply to

Re: Will Avid ever Linux? (repost)

OliverPeters:
    s far as Linux-based editing software, don't forget Lightworks, which is available now on all three platforms

.- Sadly, a little too late for Lightworks

Lenovo E32 ThinkStation Intel Xeon E3-1245,16GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 600 (1 GB), Windows 10 Pro x64 (up to date) USB 3.0, Lite-On SSD 256GB System Drive... [view my complete system specs]

Remembering my friend Larry Rubin

"Art can't exist without Craft"

• Mon, Oct 6 2014 7:14 AM In reply to

• yuvii
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Oct 5 2014
    • Posts 5
    • Points 55

camoscato:

Another point to consider is the fact that Avid is more than Media Composer.  They also sell a lot of other hardware and software, and in many cases they're selling millions of dollars of equipment and software to facilities that need that stuff to run all day, every day.

That's not to say that Linux can't do the job or isn't suitable, but that selling the idea of using something other than Windows or Mac to a bunch of film & TV engineers is a formidable task.  I've known TV engineers who were happy to try something new in a small capacity that wouldn't have a catastrophic impact if it didn't work right away, but I've never met one who would be willing to risk their operation on a technology that wasn't already proven in wide use.

So it's a chicken & egg situation.  If Avid wanted to develop for Linux, there'd need to be a market for it, but the market that they serve is happy with Windows & Mac, and isn't inclined to change.

p.s. Add in all the audio facilities based around ProTools, and I wouldn't expect to see Linux development in Avid's future.

If that's the main selling of Avid, then yeah, chances of a Linux versions are slim. If Linux is to be supported it would have to start with the software and only after that's stable it would be possible to sell along with hardware and equipment.

OliverPeters:

As far as Linux-based editing software, don't forget Lightworks, which is available now on all three platforms.

I tried Lightworks. While I admire their effort, I get the feeling that it's not Avid-level professional software.

• Mon, Oct 6 2014 3:28 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,270
    • Points 39,690

Carlos Sardá:

jef:
    I believe you are incorrect.  Flame Premium is still Linux.  Flame Assist is OSX.  There is a smoke version for OSX which has been feature reduced.  The full featured smoke is now Linux only.

.- There is only one Smoke version, no such thing as a full featured nor feature reduced:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/smoke/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/System-requirements-for-Autodesk-Smoke.html

What they now call Flame is a combination of Flame assist and FLARE

http://www.autodesk.com/products/flame-family/system-requirements

This is getting way OT.  But my understanding of the new Autodesk line up is based on the FX guide article from post NAB:

http://www.fxguide.com/featured/flame-2015-new-features-and-a-new-family/

There is a full explanation of how they understood the lineup of products at that time.  It seems that smoke as a Linux product has been rolled into Flame Premium as an assist tool in the Linux world.

The reduced feature set of Smoke comes from this point in the article:

=================

The main limitations coming to the subscription version are:

•  
      •  
        • No Flame project compatibility. Flame can’t read Smoke projects and Smoke can’t read Flame projects.
        • No Wire, Archive & remote connection workflow with Flame, Flame Assist, or Lustre. However, one can still work with other Smoke workstations
        • No Burn rendering
        • No network licensing
        • No Remote Gateway for media transcoding
        • No support for Sparks

===============

It seems as if they may have changed their support for sparks.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." | OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Tue, Oct 7 2014 3:38 AM In reply to

jef:
    The reduced feature set of Smoke comes from this point in the article:

.- That doesn't change the fact that there's only one version of smoke and it runs on OSX only.

Whether is inferior than the previous version(s) or not, is irrelevant.

Actually, this smoke/flame discussion is irrelevant.

THE END, Please

Lenovo E32 ThinkStation Intel Xeon E3-1245,16GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 600 (1 GB), Windows 10 Pro x64 (up to date) USB 3.0, Lite-On SSD 256GB System Drive... [view my complete system specs]

Remembering my friend Larry Rubin

"Art can't exist without Craft"

• Mon, Nov 17 2014 12:38 PM In reply to

• Muchomor
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 7 2008
    • Poland
    • Posts 10
    • Points 105

Hi

Few thing more...

There is no problem to achine "professional" quality under GNU/Linux software...

Firs of all You don't need Adobe Avid and others stuff like this, math used to calculations on image can be processed in different way in diffrent pice of code... free and open for example...

From editor point of view, I'm using media composer for 10 years or more... there is no other application with so many usable futures so far, but this changes also... Some of You said that Avid is not only a software, yes it's true, but its also weaknes of this software from user perspective, students for sure... The price for hardware is not worth of it, its much better to go fer Open AIO, which is more compatible across applications... In the past (about 7 years ago) I made media server with similar functionality to "Avid Unity" i've discovered that is needed to use two types of network protocols  one for project second one for media (mxf/VC3 DNxHD files are in open standard) only one differences was that only one editor could work on each media, but there wasn't any problem to change editing room in a while, which is usually a problem in medium/small studios... Also I'm the firs man how connect PS3 (yes, with GNU/Linux on board) to transcode media from media composer, this solution was 8 time faster than my computer these days (dual E5410 [8x2,33GHz] Xeon) it was very simple export via QtRef, some scripting with Avisynth (open source) than import for codecsys (closed source) under PS3 (playstation based on Cell architecture) with open source GNU/Linux again...

Some time later, avid add new "feauteres" for example stopping support for well working Adrenalina sets... why? Because of marketing and incomes of course...

And You remember huge feature Open AIO without timecode :) but still with mojo dx/nitris...

This is very disapointing practise for me, so this actuall license for composer is my last one.

At this moment there is few groving serious editors from free and open source world, kdenlive for example, but VLC team also working on something, editshare is strange as usuall, but working intensive on new way of warking across network...

Also for example professional users staying with Inkscape not Illustrator. coz of Bezier lines algorithms...

Try GIMP, probably You only using maximum 15 functions inside of photoshop, which can be made under gimp, inkscape, krita, or scribus...

Really good composer You have inside of blender, wher is olso sequencer for some simple tasks...

There is no problems with kernel as You described, if even You can add modules with needed functionality... Also Nvidia have very good drivers for GNU/Linux... 

Unity UI in ubuntu is only one from wymany options, I for example using XFCE4 but You can try also kde, gnome, cinnamon or mate...

In next year first open source camera 4K 300fps will be avalible (AXIOM), with all tools around, media servers, transcoding options, and most important with ability to modify by You...

so I think that there is a lot of space, new reality coming... many things from "The English Patient" changed also... :)

All the best & happy hacking

mixer3d

Dual Xeon 5482, Tyan S5397 SAS, 32GB FB-DIMM, NVIDIA Quadro FX3800, 2xHP LP2475w, HDD 5TB, RAID-0 LSI9260i, SONY PMW-EX3, HVR-A1E, Mini dolly, car grip... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 17 2014 1:09 PM In reply to

• yuvii
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Oct 5 2014
    • Posts 5
    • Points 55

Muchomor:

Hi

Few thing more...

There is no problem to achine "professional" quality under GNU/Linux software...

Firs of all You don't need Adobe Avid and others stuff like this, math used to calculations on image can be processed in different way in diffrent pice of code... free and open for example...

From editor point of view, I'm using media composer for 10 years or more... there is no other application with so many usable futures so far, but this changes also... Some of You said that Avid is not only a software, yes it's true, but its also weaknes of this software from user perspective, students for sure... The price for hardware is not worth of it, its much better to go fer Open AIO, which is more compatible across applications... In the past (about 7 years ago) I made media server with similar functionality to "Avid Unity" i've discovered that is needed to use two types of network protocols  one for project second one for media (mxf/VC3 DNxHD files are in open standard) only one differences was that only one editor could work on each media, but there wasn't any problem to change editing room in a while, which is usually a problem in medium/small studios... Also I'm the firs man how connect PS3 (yes, with GNU/Linux on board) to transcode media from media composer, this solution was 8 time faster than my computer these days (dual E5410 [8x2,33GHz] Xeon) it was very simple export via QtRef, some scripting with Avisynth (open source) than import for codecsys (closed source) under PS3 (playstation based on Cell architecture) with open source GNU/Linux again...

Some time later, avid add new "feauteres" for example stopping support for well working Adrenalina sets... why? Because of marketing and incomes of course...

And You remember huge feature Open AIO without timecode :) but still with mojo dx/nitris...

This is very disapointing practise for me, so this actuall license for composer is my last one.

At this moment there is few groving serious editors from free and open source world, kdenlive for example, but VLC team also working on something, editshare is strange as usuall, but working intensive on new way of warking across network...

Also for example professional users staying with Inkscape not Illustrator. coz of Bezier lines algorithms...

Try GIMP, probably You only using maximum 15 functions inside of photoshop, which can be made under gimp, inkscape, krita, or scribus...

Really good composer You have inside of blender, wher is olso sequencer for some simple tasks...

There is no problems with kernel as You described, if even You can add modules with needed functionality... Also Nvidia have very good drivers for GNU/Linux... 

Unity UI in ubuntu is only one from wymany options, I for example using XFCE4 but You can try also kde, gnome, cinnamon or mate...

In next year first open source camera 4K 300fps will be avalible (AXIOM), with all tools around, media servers, transcoding options, and most important with ability to modify by You...

so I think that there is a lot of space, new reality coming... many things from "The English Patient" changed also... :)

All the best & happy hacking

mixer3d

Oh hi there. Thanks for your incredibly detailed reply\raving about the subject.

The techincal limitations for Linux are not the problem here. The professional market uses Linux almost exclusivly for rendering (for example the external render-farms of pixar, which are crazy powerful, use linux), and there's no doubt that everything related to graphical work in linux - on the computational level - is a lot easier to do than any other OS. 

The problem is, as it has always been, the endorsment of private professional companies such as Avid who make the user-end NLE. These corporations do not consider Linux a marketable target and so do not produce products for it (unless you're willing to shell out around 30K). It saddens me, but I understand it. Maybe with Steam endorsing Linux, and the strong rise in Ubuntu usage, this will change. Currently the alternative video editors available for Linux are ridiculously simple (except maybe for lightworks, which is a mess for other reasons). 

Sadly, unless something happens very soon, I'm probably gonna stick with Windows when I start my film studying next year.

Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller