Latest post Thu, Oct 9 2014 10:18 PM by Martin Jefferson. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Oct 9 2014 2:40 PM

Database files

Possibly a stupid question - 9 media composers on Terrablock storage. If one system's media database becomes corrupted so that the media appears offline and deleting the database files and allowing the system that originally ingested the content to rebuild the database and the clips still do not come back, does this mean the media is gone? Even if I can't see the files in Avid, should I be able to see them in Finder?

Thanks!

2013 Mac Pro: 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon ES 32GB 1867 MHz DDR3 RAM OSX 10.11.3 MOJO DX MC8.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Oct 9 2014 2:48 PM In reply to

Re: Database files

Depends on the read/write permission on the workspace and whether it's single user or multi-user.  What are you using?

If you can, I would start by trying to isolate at least one system to verify the media you think should be there is.  Make sure that system has full read/write permission, rebuild databases, and look to see if clips that were on the workspace are still there.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Thu, Oct 9 2014 3:01 PM In reply to

Hi and thanks for the response - as you use the term workspace I assume you are working with ISIS? Terrablock works differently (I think!?), so each media volume has an Avid Media Files/MXF folder structure, but instead of the 1 folder it has a folder for each system that has used that volume. Each system has full read/write permission. I am assuming that if the system that ingested the media has rebuilt its database and the media is still not showing up, that somehow that media has been deleted. My question was - even if the database file is missing and the media appears offline in MC, would those files still be visible outside of MC, in Finder?

Thanks

2013 Mac Pro: 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon ES 32GB 1867 MHz DDR3 RAM OSX 10.11.3 MOJO DX MC8.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Oct 9 2014 7:01 PM In reply to

• curiosity
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Boulder, CO
    • Posts 832
    • Points 10,505

Martin Jefferson:
    My question was - even if the database file is missing and the media appears offline in MC, would those files still be visible outside of MC, in Finder

Sort of.

Yes the media files are listed in the Finder. But without the bin/clips that "link" to those files, rebuilding the media databases may not bring anything back online. You can try two things:

A) Select the media that is currently offline in the bins, and then "unlink" the clips and then try rebuilding the databases (which also may require you to "relink" the now unlinked clips.)

B) You can take a shot at buliding new clip information by using the Media Tool. (See Andrew Action's comment in this thread.)

i7-5820(x99), 64GB, Win 8.1, GTX 1080ti [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Oct 9 2014 9:31 PM In reply to

Actually, Martin, we have a Terrablock here as well.  You're obviously using Multi-User Write *volumes* (sorry for using "workspace") which does require each workstation to keep up it's own MediaFiles directory.

Are you seeing the missing media across systems or only on certain systems? 

To verify in your Terrablock Manager application, you do have User Mode > File System Emulation checked, correct?

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Thu, Oct 9 2014 10:18 PM In reply to

Thanks for the replies - it is only one system where the media is missing and I suspect it has been deleted accidentally. No biggie, I was more just curious about whether the files would be visible in Finder.

Cheers and thanks!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller