Latest post Mon, Feb 23 2015 12:40 PM by cuervo. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Oct 10 2014 11:43 AM

• editdudes
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 112
    • Points 1,665

What's AVID's plan for developing Symphony?

A lot of us really like the Symphony CC, and continue to use it even as Resolve Free is so much better in a lot of ways.

Personally, I find Sym CC adequate for a lot of tasks, but the lack of mattes and the mediocre secondaries is frustrating at times, and unfortunately; absolutely nothing has changed in at least 10 years! 

I still use it, but seriously Avid - the Sym CC really should be a standard part of MC these days. It simply isn't good enough anymore to warrant a price tag of several hundered $. Not even considering universal mastering.

I'd REALLY, REALLY like to know, (and have wondered for a decade now) IF and WHEN and WHAT the plans are for the Symphony CC.

We *ALL* want to know, so please Avid, could you shed some light on this issue!!!

Personally, I'm considering letting my Sym 7 license fall from grace and instead upgrading my MC 5 to version 8, but haven't really decided which is better; Resolve/Sym7/MC8 or Resolve/Sym8/MC5 ... :)

Symphony Nitris DX • MC Adrenaline DNxcel 5.5 • DaVinci Resolve • VirtualDub :) [view my complete system specs]

E D I T   D U D E S

Independent Post Production Services

Malmö - SWEDEN

www.editdudes.com

Filed under: , , ,
  • Fri, Oct 10 2014 2:48 PM In reply to

Re: What's AVID's plan for developing Symphony?

I am totally with you on this one.

Curves, with the ability to nudge values with the keypad, is not matched by any other system I have played with.

Would love Avid to upgrade it to 32 bit float and implement masks properly.

Symphony 7.06 OS 10.9.5 QT 7.6.3 Mac Pro 2x2.66 6-core 32GB Ram Aja Kona Lhi. MC 7.0.6 OS 10.9.5 Mac Pro 5.1 2x2.97 6-core 32GB ram Aja I/O express, Apple... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Oct 10 2014 10:52 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,994
    • Points 37,745

Don't get me started....

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Mon, Oct 20 2014 3:26 PM In reply to

After years of using MC, I finally upgraded to Symphony a couple of years ago in order to get better color correction.  Symphony's CC features have been useful, but hardly the quantum leap over MC's CC that I had expected.   Still, I love the idea of keeping everything in MC.  

At this stage of development, Symphony's CC features should be a standard part of MC and Symphony should be upgraded to compete with the more capable color correction programs.  Symphony's other "feature"--universal mastering--is pretty much dead now that the Nitris is getting very long in the tooth and file based delivery is becoming the standard in many areas of production.

MC 2018.4 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system drive... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Mon, Oct 20 2014 5:05 PM In reply to

editdudes:
    I'm considering letting my Sym 7 license fall from grace and instead upgrading my MC 5 to version 8
    That's weird. If you upgrade v5, you would have a v7 and a v8. You would probably be able to move the Symph option from one license to the other. There is no Symphony 7, just MC7 with (or without) the Symphony option.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 11 2015 10:59 PM In reply to

• Westcity
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 15 2008
    • Posts 83
    • Points 1,200

Yes!  if you're using a keyboard and not a surface, symphony has finer grading control than Resolve free.  But Resolve mattes, tracking, versions are great. Wish it were possible to just work in Symphony...

MacBook Pro and iMac BMD extreme card and minimonitor [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 11 2015 11:27 PM In reply to

• dermot
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 524
    • Points 6,220

I'm working with Baselight editions inside MC, if you already have the color surface it would be worth a test

All of the major show stopping issues i'm haveing with it are MC issues, not Baselight issues... It's MC's ablity to conform a MC project back to the camera orignals that's the gag

Should note that the same project conformed cleanly in seconds in Nucoda, Resolve and DS.. but MC can't make a link from the master clips to the R3D's no how, no way...

Now that MC does 2K/4K + reads / writes DPX it's entering the land of serious finishing tools, if MC could actualy conform something from the camera orignals

<sigh>

But Baselight is pretty awesome color tools, certianly spanks Resolve in many areas..

8600 - 3700 - AJA 2Ke - u320 array - Dream Color [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 12 2015 12:44 AM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,994
    • Points 37,745

dermot:
    MC can't make a link from the master clips to the R3D's no how, no way...

If the RED files were mounted via AMA and then transcoded, you can relink to the raw files with no problem. If they were imported, you are correct, you can't get back to the RAW... unless...

There is a cheat that involves using a roundtrip to Resolve.

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Thu, Feb 12 2015 6:55 AM In reply to

• dermot
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 524
    • Points 6,220

Oh please tell me about the cheat....

8600 - 3700 - AJA 2Ke - u320 array - Dream Color [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 23 2015 12:40 PM In reply to

• cuervo
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, May 2 2008
    • Santa Fe, NM
    • Posts 1,174
    • Points 15,595

I believe the cheat he's referring to is the ability to relink back to camera originals when you .aaf to Resolve.

SYS1:ASUS Z97, Haswell 4.0GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, Quadro 4200 + GTX1070, Thunderbolt II -DNxIO-FSI CM171 ///SYS2:ASUS Maximus Extreme V, Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz... [view my complete system specs]

M-Power Independent Video and Film Services, Sony PMW-F5--Sony FS700U--Canon 7d--Odyssey 7Q

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller