Latest post Thu, Nov 13 2014 2:35 PM by Marianna. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Oct 14 2014 1:44 PM

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,361
    • Points 220,130
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

2 most common ?'s on licensing

I get these 2 questions a lot so I figure I will be the first poster in this forum :)

Q:  I currently have Media Composer v6.5.  I want to keep this as perpetual as it was originally a 3.0 license with a dongle that I have upgraded all the way to 6.5 and kept the dongle. Do I have to upgrade by December 31, 2014?  

A:  If you already own a Media Composer license and want to upgrade to the latest version, maintaining perpetual (no expiration) license ( Dongle or Activation scheme ),  you can do so by purchasing the standard Avid Upgrade/ Support plan for $299/year USD.

This comes with: 

One year of standard Avid Support/Upgrade includes:

All available Media Composer updates and upgrades throughout the contract year

Unlimited billing and account help—response within 24 hours

Unlimited online technical support—response within 24 hours

Technical support by phone—1 call per month

Access to the Avid video library, Knowledge Base, and Pro Video forums

First year of Support/Upgrade is included with a new Media Composer 8.x License purchase

To continue receiving software updates/upgrades and standard support after the first year,  or if you have an existing Media Composer and wish to upgrade (- See NOTE below), you must renew your plan each year for $299 USD.  This is an auto-renewable plan (if you elect to chose that option ) and includes all software upgrades, updates, and standard support for one year from the date of purchase.

NOTE - IMPORTANT -  this offer is valid for existing Media Composer owners through 2014 only (or at the time your existing Avid Support contract expires).

Q: What happens if I do not renew or I have an existing Media Composer 7.0 license and I dont buy the Support/upgrade option for $299 per year?

A:  Should you choose not to renew or purchase an Avid Support / Upgrade plan in 2014 (or upon your current support contract expiration)  for your existing license and decide to upgrade at a later time thereafter, you will have a choice of either:

1.  subscribing to Media Composer monthly or annually, or

2.  buying a new perpetual license.

Your existing license would remain at the version you stopped at.  

Questions, ping me

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Fri, Oct 17 2014 11:07 PM In reply to

Re: 2 most common ?'s on licensing

Hi Marianna,

Here's one I can't seem to find out.  I have an NFR ACI license for 7.0.  I would like to pay for the Script Sync and Phrase Find options for it.  If I do...will that convert my license to a standard license and allow me to keep version 7?  I would be willing to pay the yearly support fee to do so.

Thanks so much.

Mark

MC 7.0.3         MAC PRO 4.1

2.93 GHZ QUAD CORE XEON

OSX 10.8.5 16GB 1066 DDR3

ATI HD 4870 512 MB

• Sat, Oct 18 2014 7:04 AM In reply to

pictureeditor:
     I would like to pay for the Script Sync and Phrase Find options for it.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you can't buy new Script Sync or Phrase Find licenses at the moment.  More details on this link:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/faq/ScriptSync-and-PhraseFind-no-longer-available-in-Media-Composer-Software-v8-0

(I know it says "v8.0" but the second bullet says they can't sell any new SS or PF licenses to anyone, meaning you can't buy one for MC 7.x.)

Media Composer 2018.12.5 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sat, Oct 18 2014 8:31 AM In reply to

camoscato:
    you can't buy new Script Sync or Phrase Find licenses at the moment
    Nor will they work in v8 or later.

This embarassing and frustrating situation has been the case since NAB. There have been remarks about ongoing negotiations between Nexidia (the third party whose audio analysis tools are the foundation for SS and PF) and Avid for many months.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Oct 18 2014 8:59 AM In reply to

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous.  These features were two of the innovations that truly set Media Composer apart from the pack, and they've somehow managed to totally screw them up.

Media Composer 2018.12.5 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sat, Oct 18 2014 9:12 AM In reply to

camoscato:

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous.  These features were two of the innovations that truly set Media Composer apart from the pack, and they've somehow managed to totally screw them up.

Agreed, Carl. Plus they are doing this in the year they want us to sign up for annual renewal. Based on a history of taking away features with new releases. So come December, do I give my 299/license 'vote' to Avid or not?

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 21 2014 10:36 AM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,254
    • Points 30,475

Marianna:

Hey MM - not to be a pain but...

How much would a second or third phone call cost a user?

Marianna:

For those of us who choose not to pay the $300, does this mean we will no longer have access to these forums?

Marianna:

What's the cost here?

Just looking at the options, thanks.

sw

Scott Witthaus

Owner/Editor/Post Production Supervisor 1708 Editorial

http://vimeopro.com/1708editorial/1708-editorial

• Tue, Oct 21 2014 12:40 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,361
    • Points 220,130
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

switthaus:

Marianna:

Hey MM - not to be a pain but...

How much would a second or third phone call cost a user?

Your not a pain...... :)  Couple options here:

1.  you would need an ASC which is $39.95 USD but it is good for one issues regardless of the # of calls it takes to resolve the "issue".  If you call and we determine it is " our problem" then you get an ASC back :)  

2. you could upgrade to a higher level support contract with gives you added phone support without limit... thats called Elite and is $699 per year.

switthaus:

Marianna:

For those of us who choose not to pay the $300, does this mean we will no longer have access to these forums?

No - the Pro Video forums are available to all. Over time we may add some functionality which would be a benefit for support customers and ACA members but everyone today has access.

switthaus:

Marianna:

What's the cost here?

Annually it cost - $49.99 / $39.99* Month to month -  $74.99

* In 2014 only, current Media Composer owners (6.5 and later) can choose to subscribe annually at the discounted rate of $39.99/month for their first year (after the first year, standard rates apply). 

HTH

Marianna 

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Thu, Oct 23 2014 12:52 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,254
    • Points 30,475

Got it, thanks.  Just looking into options if an MC gig wanders down the pike one day.

Scott

ps: give that new pooch a pat for me!

Scott Witthaus

Owner/Editor/Post Production Supervisor 1708 Editorial

http://vimeopro.com/1708editorial/1708-editorial

• Thu, Oct 23 2014 4:14 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,361
    • Points 220,130
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

switthaus:

ps: give that new pooch a pat for me!

Just did - and a scratch too.

Marianna 

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Tue, Nov 4 2014 12:25 AM In reply to

• Stevegg
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 23 2010
    • Posts 1
    • Points 15

i have a dongle licence for Media Composer 7. I understand if i want to upgrade in the future, i will need to purchase the annual support plan (by Dec 31). However, what about future updates and patches for MC7? i am a small independent producer who does not need to upgrade to  ther latest version. But i do intend to get a new iMac running Yosemite and so I want to be able to update my sofwatre when Avid qualifies Yosemite through update or patch. Will i be able to  get udates and patches for V7 after Dec 31 without purchasing a support plan? 

Steve

• Tue, Nov 4 2014 2:11 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,361
    • Points 220,130
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

We expect to continue to provide maintenance upgrades when available for at last one rev back o in this case 7.x.  MC 8.2 is about to be approved with Yosemite so thats what version will need to be used.  I will check on compatibility with 7.0.x and yosemite but I am not sure if they will test that.  

I'll get an answer....

Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Mon, Nov 10 2014 4:30 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,361
    • Points 220,130
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Folks....

I spoke with Product Management this am and they are still soing some testing with Media Composer 8.2 and Yosemite and havent approved it just yet.  The did tell me that they will not test Mac OS X Yosemite with 7.x so if you want to try it - you can but we wont have any stats to help you if you encounter issues.

:(

Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Thu, Nov 13 2014 2:35 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,361
    • Points 220,130
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Mark

Totally zoned and missed this post.

Most likely Bryan who manages the ACI program got you the NFR license.  I can assist in converting it to commercial but you would need to buy the $299 support/upgrade plan for it yourself.  That would net you MC 8.x which isnt compat with SS and PF at this time but you could use those with MC 7.  I would just convert the 7 NFR to a 7 commercial so you could do that.  

The rub here is that SS is sold out but PF is still available thru Videoguys.com

Let me kno if you wish to go this route.

and sorry or missing this post.

Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller