Latest post Sat, Oct 25 2014 6:24 PM by AndrewAction. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Oct 24 2014 9:46 PM

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 811
    • Points 10,750

Deleted Database Files On Shared Storage and Now Avid Won't Rebuild

Hi, 

I have a rather urgent issue.  I deleted database files from numbered folders in the MXF folder on shared storage in order to trouble shoot an issue.  Now Avid won't rebuild the databases and I'm not sure how to make this happen.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Reinstalling Avid is not a possible solution and the problem exists on two separate Avids that share the media.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Oct 24 2014 10:19 PM In reply to

Re: Deleted Database Files On Shared Storage and Now Avid Won't Rebuild

Possibly do a Repair Permissions and then check the Shared storage Users all have Read and Write Permission.

As a test to see if Avid is talking to the shared storage temporarily rename the Avid MediaFiles folder (to xxAvidMediaFiles) on the shared storage. Open Avid and save a simple Title Tool title to the shared storage.  Did Avid create a new Avid MediaFiles\MXF\1 folder with the title media in it?

• Fri, Oct 24 2014 10:44 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 811
    • Points 10,750

Thanks so much for the advice Andrew.  I did a disk permission repair, but unfortunately, my emergency workaround is tying up the Avid for a while, so can't try the test you suggested at the moment.  My workaround is to dump the shared storage files to a portable hardrive that I hook up to Avid on my laptop, which creates Database files, which I drop into the folders on the shared storage.  This works, but is going to take all night long.  I will try the test you mentioned as soon as Avid stops scanning the drive I'm dumping to.

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Oct 24 2014 10:57 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 811
    • Points 10,750

I did the test and it was able to write the title effect to the shared storage.  It just won't index the folder.  Neither will another Avid hooked up to the same storage.

• Fri, Oct 24 2014 10:59 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 811
    • Points 10,750

The only solution I can come up with, which is slow but painful, is to dump out all the footage to a drive that my laptop can access and index it all from Avid on there.  I went out and bought a couple energy drinks to survive the ordeal.  

• Fri, Oct 24 2014 11:15 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 811
    • Points 10,750

I think the issue is that each shared storage drive has footage on it that was prepped in another Avid and put into folders corresponding with shoot days....1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc.  These were just dumped onto our system already prepped.  I noticed that in the MXF folder on the shared storage drive that we added our own material to, there is a folder with the name of the Avid computer (Z and then a number)...this is where new material goes to.  I deleted the database files for the  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc. folders individually, as this approach worked for me on a normal storage system in the past, but I don't have too much experience with shared storage, so I think I might have done something wrong, hence why no new database files are being created.

• Sat, Oct 25 2014 12:32 AM In reply to

S.Clements:
    there is a folder with the name of the Avid computer (Z and then a number)...this is where new material goes to.
    1: I would rename the "Z and then a number" folder Z and a different number)
    2: Open Avid and create and render new title. Quit Avid
    3: Avid should have made a new "Z and number" Folder that now has the 2 database files and 1 title media clip (possibly a Creating folder)  in it. Delete the Title media.
    4: Move the contents of your "1" folder  into the new "Z and number" Folder
    5: Open Avid and you should see it index the new "Z and number" Folder
    Assuming you see Avid index the folder
    6: Quit Avid and rename the new "Z and number" Folder by changing the number (make a note that this new name folder was day 1)

Then either repeat the process for each of your shoot day number folders

Or try

Renaming the original "2" folder  to "Z and number Folder ( making the number 1 higher than the number used in step 6:
    Open Avid and see if it indexs this folder.

If it does then you could proceed to renaming the "3", "4", "5" .. etc folders  taking care to be absolutely accurate with each name.

• Sat, Oct 25 2014 11:40 AM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 811
    • Points 10,750

Hey, Andrew.  Thought I'd sent this message last night, but saw it didn't go through:

"Wow, Andrew!  Thanks a million!  I will actually be able to go to sleep at some point tonight!  Thanks for helping me on a Friday!  This is working!"

• Sat, Oct 25 2014 6:24 PM In reply to

Great you got it working. Good luck with the deadline.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller