Latest post Wed, Nov 12 2014 9:26 PM by tveyes. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Nov 12 2014 2:42 PM

• tveyes
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New York City
    • Posts 95
    • Points 1,290

Obstacles getting to the Mountaintop…

Normal 0 false false false EN-US JA X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

I have a problem which both Avid and Apple are not cooperative on fixing. I had been an Avid supporter for many years and currently running Avid 5.03 (dongle) on my MacBook pro running 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard). My time is running out to continue a perpetual license with Avid. Avid wants users to buy a support package to be able continue their perpetual license by the end of the year.  Avid’s older and current editions 6-8 works with Maverick, Mountain Lion and Lion but not Yosemite. I spoke to Apple to see if they could supply with an earlier edition of an OSX… (Maverick, Mountain Lion, lion). They said they could not. (Only Yosemite is offered!) What I see here is only a Mountaintop, which I wish I could climb.

What am I suppose to do to maintain my perpetual license.  Buy a support plan that is not supported by Avid.  I do believe my 5.03 will no longer be supported come the end of the year.  Or do I buy a support plan for an unsupported avid program…

I believe Avid should extend their offer of buying a support plan, which would continue a perpetual license till they are ready to have a support plan that can be supported. Giving time for Avid users to test out their investment with Avid on existing OS…. Avid please lead me to the Mountaintop.

MacBook Pro 3.06 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo Media Composer 5.3 [view my complete system specs]

tveyes

• Wed, Nov 12 2014 7:16 PM In reply to

Re: Obstacles getting to the Mountaintop…

tveyes:
    I believe Avid should extend their offer of buying a support plan, which would continue a perpetual license till they are ready to have a support plan that can be supported.

I may be way off in my understanding of how the new licensing plan works, (if that is the case, then I need to re-visit my own plan). But, the way I understand it if you own a license now, then you need to fork over $300 for the annual "support contract" to stay current. That annual support contract entitles you to any and all updates and upgrades that will be released in 2015. At the end of 2015, you will need to extend your "subscription" (for lack of better terminology) to continue into 2016. 

If at any point you break the subscription (ie, not renew) then you are forever stuck with the latest version of Media Composer you have.

So, you have v5.0.3 right now. If you choose to do nothing before the end of the year, you stay on v5.0.3. If you buy the $300 support, then you can update to any version that comes out in 2015 (as long as your system is capable). If you buy the support but do not update due to system limitations, it would still be cheaper to maintain the support for a few years rather than let it lapse and have to shell out $1200.

That is unless you think you can manage with your current setup for another 4 yrs or so. 

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Wed, Nov 12 2014 8:22 PM In reply to

Kenton's understanding is correct.

As for Yosemite, I saw a post from Marianna Montague of Avid yesterday that said Yosemite support is imminent.  They're testing it, and they found a problem, but they think they'll have it fixed soon.

Hope that helps.

Media Composer 2018.12.5 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Nov 12 2014 8:52 PM In reply to

Kenton.VanNatten:
    you will need to extend your "subscription" (for lack of better terminology
    For me subscription would be better described as  "annual support contract." If you do not pay for a 2016 support contract you can still use your software version (Mc version = latest update in 2015) forever. (or whatever Perpetual means in Avid speak.

To get any updates after failing to renew your "support"contract you will need to buy a complete new licence  OR change to a "Subscription" licence at $599 per year (price based on 12 month contract) Apart from costing twice as much "Subscription" has the further disadvantage that the day your contract ends is the day you stop being able to use Avid. 

• Wed, Nov 12 2014 9:05 PM In reply to

Thanks for making that distinction Andrew. Good info.

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Wed, Nov 12 2014 9:15 PM In reply to

• tveyes
    • Not Ranked
    • New York City
    • Posts 95
    • Points 1,290

Normal 0 false false false EN-US JA X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

I wish, Avid’s management, well. For they need to make sure they have Yosemite, supported by the end of the year.  For Avid will lose plenty of once loyal customer’s forcing them to purchase a support plan for an unsupported product.  Or worst making customer’s beta testers for Avid, in order for management to make a deadline. Do the right thing, delay the deadline. 

MacBook Pro 3.06 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo Media Composer 5.3 [view my complete system specs]

tveyes

• Wed, Nov 12 2014 9:26 PM In reply to

• tveyes
    • Not Ranked
    • New York City
    • Posts 95
    • Points 1,290

Yes I understand it's time to upgrade, my computer and avid...

tveyes

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller