Latest post Sat, Nov 22 2014 7:23 AM by Scott_Freeman. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Nov 21 2014 9:22 PM

• TonyG0213
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 14 2012
    • Posts 7
    • Points 130

EDL IS not displaying Source file name It gives me MCTOEDL??

My edl manager is giving me this random MCTOEDL as source file in avid. I am running AMC 6.01. I have never seen thos before. How do I change this. If I go to edit >comments, it still shows this MCTOEDL as my source file name. Any thoughts anybody ??

• Fri, Nov 21 2014 10:07 PM In reply to

Re: EDL IS not displaying Source file name It gives me MCTOEDL??

Are you sure these sources have a correct Source File inside MC? Are you on the latest patch for 6.0 (I think it's 6.0.5)?

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 21 2014 10:26 PM In reply to

• TonyG0213
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 130

I have not changed the clips names what so ever. I am running 6.01 and launched another project from January. That project does not display the MCTOEDL. I'm thinking it must me something during the transcode or meta data from the camera 

• Fri, Nov 21 2014 10:34 PM In reply to

TonyG0213:
    I have not changed the clips names what so ever.
    Clip names are not Source File names. Clip names are totally irrelevant for EDL purposes (although you can add the clip name as an optional note in the EDL). Source File names are derived from the Source File column. EDL Manager will look at either Source File or Tape.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 21 2014 10:42 PM In reply to

• TonyG0213
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 130

I totally understand the differences between source file names and tape names. What I am starting to see is that from a test I just did with some r3d files. I exported one file from red cine x and one from resolve 10. The one from resolve gave me the MCTOEDL and the one from red cine x gave me the correct source file information. I'm assuming this must be a issue in resolve. 

• Sat, Nov 22 2014 7:18 AM In reply to

It's because REEL was not properly set in Resolve before exporting. 

• Sat, Nov 22 2014 7:23 AM In reply to

I am curious about this "source" metadata titled "MCTOEDL" that you are seeing in EDL Manager. Is "MCTOEDL" displayed for each event in EDL Manager? How many master clips have this "MCTOEDL" metadata as their source? Meaning is it one master clip or thousands of master clips?

Maybe? Perchance? In an Avid Bin:

...at one point a file with the title "MCTOEDL" got imported into an Avid Bin?

...behind the scenes, upon import of that file titled "MCTOEDL", the master clip's associated with that list were then automatically assigned the metadata "Source" name of "MCTOEDL".

hmmm...

Avid has assigned "source" name metadata for each master clip, and  itcan  appear in an Avid Bin. One can edit that "source" metadata. This "Source" metadata hidden in an Avid Bin by default is usable in Avid and usable outside of the Avid Media Composer.

If one is using Avid Media Composer, both Source File and Tape matadata linking master clips gets assigned "source" metadata that one can view and edit by activating the bin and going to the "Bin" Menu and choosing "Set Bin Display" and selecting "Sources".

Each Master Clip has this "Source" name metadata associated with it. I can click on the "Source" name and rename that metadata directly in the Avid Bin. This "Source" metadata can pass to EDL Manager (if template is choosen in EDL Manager) (Source metadata by default also seems to gets passed into an Avid exported AAF and also gets embedded as "Tape" name metadata in any consolidate/transcode/creating new media files after the fact)

Maybe the metadata in a list that made it into an Avid bin was missing a source name and the Avid gave it one when the user used the file menu>import command? Or some metadata got merged or replaced for those master clips automatically?

my thoughts/notes:

*** In the Avid the "Source" name associated with each master clip, if the Avid user makes a new media file that "Source" is what gets embedded as "Tape" name metadata in the resulting MXF media file.

*** Maybe in Resolve the name "MCTOEDL" was the name of the "Reel Name" in the media pool?

*** Resolve to Avid ---> if there is not an assigned "Reel Name" for clips in the Resolve Media Pool, an AAF from that Resolve session into an Avid Bin, the Avid upon import can assign "Source" name metadata for master clips the name of the file that was used for import into that bin, and the Avid will append a 01, 02, etc for sources.

*** metadata source issues with importing Resolve AAFs into an Avid Bin, where if there were AMA/SourceFile links in the bin, then the source metadata can automatically get changed upon import without prompting the Avid user.

*** I use this Avid source metadata like a relinking tracker from Resolve to Avid, or Avid to Resolve to Avid, etc, for each master clip / asset.

*** In Media Composer and one is presented with master clips in a Bin, if one wanted to edit the "Source" name metadata for each master clip one can do it in the Avid Bin directly. (This could take a lot of time for 1000's of master clips. It does bypass the select a tape dialog box and it can be used with clips that were transcoded/imported using "SourceFile" metadata or were completely abscent from having source metadata for various reasons (usually master clips that were brought into a bin using the Avid Media Tool and were absenct from both sourcefile and tape metadata))

*** I love to test-out metadata and how it is displayed/stored (AAF/OMFI/AFE/HEADERS/ALE/EDL/EMBEDDED/MEDIA DATABASES/BINS//SIDE-CAR), with Avid Media/Film Composer | Symphony | EDL Manager | Avid Log Exchange, Final Cut Pro, Resolve, After Effects, QuickTime Player, various text editors......

maybe I was able to shine some light on this subject matter?

thank you

http://www.metadatalinks.com [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller