Latest post Thu, Apr 30 2015 12:17 AM by Robert A. Ober. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Nov 27 2014 4:48 PM

• tolis
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 26 2006
    • Posts 7
    • Points 85

AMA Link ProRes and Rewrap?

Hi guys,

I am about to do a project with a very short turnaround time and would like to confirm Avid's expected behaviour with rewrapping AMA linked ProRes files.

It is my understanding from reading whatever info i could find on the subject that if i AMA link to a .mov ProRes file that Avid supports and use the transcode command the file will be rewrapped not re-encoded to .mxf ProRes. Is that the case? When the rewrapping happens should i be expecting to see speeds similar to copying over files into an MXF numbered folder or is the rewrapping speed significantly slower than that?

Now, for the real question. :-) 

My workflow is setup like this:

1. Receive footage from QTake in a .mov ProRes format, possibly ProRes LT at 1920x1080 resolution which is the max QTake can offer.

2. AMA link to the files which will reside in an external drive and Transcode (hoping that i get rewrapping speeds and not re-encoding speeds) to another external storage where i have my Avid Media Files directory.

If indeed this will be a rewrap then will the files just be copied to my Avid Media Files directory at the drive's rated copying speeds and rewrapped into a .mxf ProRes file?

The goal here is for the QTake operator to record each take as the camera rolls and hand them over to me on set at every possible instant, preferably between each new scene set up. This way i will only be a setup behind the shoot and work in parallel, again hoping that once the shoot is done within the next hour i will have all footage already in .mxf ready for editing.

I will try to get my hands on some QTake footage before the shoot and test but in case that proves to be impossible i would like to hear your opinions. :-)

Please advise.

Thanks,

Tolis

• Thu, Nov 27 2014 6:07 PM In reply to

Re: AMA Link ProRes and Rewrap?

tolis:
    It is my understanding from reading whatever info i could find on the subject that if i AMA link to a .mov ProRes file that Avid supports and use the transcode command the file will be rewrapped not re-encoded to .mxf ProRes
    You should use the Consolidate function, rather than Transcode.

tolis:
    If indeed this will be a rewrap then will the files just be copied to my Avid Media Files directory at the drive's rated copying speeds and rewrapped into a .mxf ProRes file?
    Yes.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Dec 1 2014 3:24 AM In reply to

• tolis
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 26 2006
    • Posts 7
    • Points 85

Thanks Job,

indeed i got some test files and with the consolidate command all works fine.

Speed also seemed to be good. I only had 2 small files to test so i couldn't get a good average but it definitely is a lot faster than transcoding.

This is a good workflow! I will defiinitely use it again!

Smile

• Wed, Apr 29 2015 8:24 PM In reply to

Job ter Burg:

tolis:
    It is my understanding from reading whatever info i could find on the subject that if i AMA link to a .mov ProRes file that Avid supports and use the transcode command the file will be rewrapped not re-encoded to .mxf ProRes
    You should use the Consolidate function, rather than Transcode.

tolis:

Yes.

So this is not my normal workflow but I am getting aliasing on the mxf's from Resolve 11.3, so I thought I would try to relink the sequence to the ProRes HQ originals.  After AMA'ing to the originals and trying to consolodate, I get:

The clip CNSEP2TA420_002 was skipped during the Consolidate operation because it is of a foreign compression type.

The clip CNSEP2TA420_004 was skipped during the Consolidate operation because it is of a foreign compression type.

The clip CNSEP2TA420_001 was skipped during the Consolidate operation because it is of a foreign compression type.

The clip CNSEP2TA420_003 was skipped during the Consolidate operation because it is of a foreign compression type.

The clip CNSEP2TA420_000 was skipped during the Consolidate operation because it is of a foreign compression type.

The orginals are 4K (4096) ProRes HQ from an Odyssey 7Q+.  Is the 4K ProRes HQ the issue?  If so,  what is my best workaround?  In other words, is my only option to transcode to DNxHR or high end DNxHD?

The MC timeline is 1080p/23.976

Thanks,

Robert

MacBook Pro Late 2013 2.6 ghz I7/16gb RAM/GT 750M/1TB PCIe SSD & MacPro Early 2009 24GB/GTX1080Ti/HIT2TB/WD650/WD1TB/ProAvio Scary RAID External. [view my complete system specs]

Robert A. Ober
    IT Consultant, Vidcaster, & Freelance Preditor(Producer/Editor)
    www.infohou.com
    Houston, TX

Filed under: , ,
  • Wed, Apr 29 2015 11:54 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,520
    • Points 64,055
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Not sure but perhaps ProRes MXF resolutions higher than HD are not yet supported in 8.3.  You might need to transcode to DNxHR rather than Consolidate.

Update: confirmed.  The only Avid codec in 8.3 for larger than HD sources is DNxHR.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Thu, Apr 30 2015 12:17 AM In reply to

hbrock:

Not sure but perhaps ProRes MXF resolutions higher than HD are not yet supported in 8.3.  You might need to transcode to DNxHR rather than Consolidate.

Yep,  my thought also.  Did that and am moving on.  Should have done that in Resolve and had I done so, I probably would have been finished yesterday.

Thanks,

Robert

MacBook Pro Late 2013 2.6 ghz I7/16gb RAM/GT 750M/1TB PCIe SSD & MacPro Early 2009 24GB/GTX1080Ti/HIT2TB/WD650/WD1TB/ProAvio Scary RAID External. [view my complete system specs]

Robert A. Ober
    IT Consultant, Vidcaster, & Freelance Preditor(Producer/Editor)
    www.infohou.com
    Houston, TX

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller