Latest post Wed, Feb 4 2015 10:59 PM by Marianna. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Dec 3 2014 4:12 PM

• marc.gray
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 9 2010
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

Dolby AC3 Activation issues Media Composer, the Device ID

This is for all those who have, or might need to, activate their Dolby AC3 plugin for Media Composer.

After a long day, here are the steps to get it to work. My case was with non-internet connected, dongled Windows 7 workstations. But the concept should help anyone struggling to get it to activate.

Problem: With some new versions of AVCHD the Dolby codec is used and our systems, running MC8.0.0 and using a hardware key (dongle), the AC3 plugin had not been activated due to the dongle license being used.

According to the http://resources.avid.com/supportfiles/attach/423775/Installation_Guide_for_Avid_Editing.pdf

To find the Device ID:

Device ID: Only needed if you are activating your software on a system that is not connected to the Internet. This will be provided to you through the Avid License Control tool during activation.

But nowhere in the “License Control App” is the Device ID listed, referred too, or anything.

I am banging my head on the screen, support is telling me to just activate the software... then as a last resort I clicked the "copy to clipboard" button in the lower right of the license app... and pasted it into a word doc, Bang...

>>>>>>
    System Information

Windows 7 Professional (6.1 Service Pack 1)

Product Information

Avid Media Composer
        Device ID:
        System ID: 205796****
        Activation ID: N/A
        License status: Dongle Activated
        License Type: Dongle
        Expiration: 0.0.1997

Dolby AC3
        Device ID: 5524006878302351873266650
        Activation ID:
        License status: Not Activated
        License Type:
        Expiration:

NewsCutter (Option)
        Device ID: 5524006878302351873266650
        Activation ID:
        License status: Not Activated
        License Type:
        Expiration:

Symphony (Option)
        Device ID:
        Activation ID: N/A
        License status: Dongle Activated
        License Type: Dongle
        Expiration: 0.0.1997
    <<<<<<<

So the Device ID, buried in the clipboard info, can be accessed this way to enter it on another computer at http://www.avid.com/US/Support/OptionalFeatures to attain the license file to install on the non-internet connected editor.

Avid, the instructions could not be more smudged and foggy on this one... if not impossible.

Even the "?" help button on the http://www.avid.com/US/Support/OptionalFeatures site lists totally different terminology than is listed on the page? And nowhere is the elusive Device ID...

A whole day wasted...

• Fri, Jan 30 2015 2:51 PM In reply to

• Rick
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Nov 8 2010
    • Nashville, TN
    • Posts 17
    • Points 180

Re: Dolby AC3 Activation issues Media Composer, the Device ID

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!  Avid Support could not explain this simple solution to me, copy to clipboard would have saved me a whole day as well.  Ours would not activate even when connected to the internet and this method allowed me to download and activate as if not connected.  The whole trick was related to the DEVICE ID.

Thanks again!!

MC 7, Dell T5500 - Win 7 Ultimate SP1, Dual Hex-Core Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5650 @2.67Ghz 2.66 Ghz (2 processors), 24GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA Quadro 4000... [view my complete system specs]

Rick

• Fri, Jan 30 2015 4:14 PM In reply to

• marc.gray
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 9 2010
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

Awesome! Glad to help!

• Wed, Feb 4 2015 9:44 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,219
    • Points 218,265
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Folks,

There will be a KB article on this or there already is....   as soon as I find it - I will post.  

Do you normally search the KB first?

Marianna 

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Wed, Feb 4 2015 10:13 PM In reply to

• Rick
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Nov 8 2010
    • Nashville, TN
    • Posts 17
    • Points 180

Thanks Marianna!  Yes I did search and found several items.  None, that I was able to find, were helpful as they never explained a very important detail of using the "Copy to Clipboard" which is the only way I was able to view the "Device ID".  Several explained volume and floating and dongle methods as well as App Manager but again the small trick of clicking "copy to clipboard" was not found except this post in all my searching.  Big Smile

MC 7, Dell T5500 - Win 7 Ultimate SP1, Dual Hex-Core Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5650 @2.67Ghz 2.66 Ghz (2 processors), 24GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA Quadro 4000... [view my complete system specs]

Rick

• Wed, Feb 4 2015 10:59 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,219
    • Points 218,265
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Gotcha

Good to know and I will pass along this to the web team - KB search is being tweeked consistently.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller