Latest post Tue, Dec 9 2014 12:54 PM by AKA Dave. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Dec 8 2014 8:39 AM

• Nikolai H
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 27 2012
    • Norway
    • Posts 20
    • Points 265

Alpha Layer Export

I've been searching this and other forums for information regarding the issue of exporting alpha from Avid.

It seems like the answer is "you can't", but I wanted to see how people get around this issue when it comes to grading.

I have a sequence with a video layer for normal video content, and a few video layers which contains alpha video. (Graphic elements such as supers and wipes).

This is all being shipped away for colour correction, however I don't want the graphical elements to be graded the same way the rest of the content is being graded, so I want to export this seperatly and put it together after the grading process.

How do people go about doing this?

HP Z420 3.60Ghz 16GB RAM. [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , , , ,
  • Mon, Dec 8 2014 12:17 PM In reply to

• AKA Dave
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 3 2007
    • Raleigh, NC
    • Posts 227
    • Points 2,735

Re: Alpha Layer Export

I've run into this sort of thing a couple of times, not exactly the same mind you but the work around should satisfy your needs.  This works for elements with an alpha that are animated as well as stills.  Step into the clip with the alpha on it and you'll notice two video layers.  Select the matte later in/out and do a video mixdown of it. That will produce a matte clip.  Cut that back into the sequnece above the clip with the alpha on it.  Now on the original clip, remove the effect.  That will strip the alpha and leave a fill in it's place.  Drop an old fashioned matte key on the top layer and you're good to go.  It may not be the most elegant work around, but it's pretty fast and does the job.

Dave

MC 8.4.0 with Symphony Option. 27 Inch iMac. 3.5 GHz i7, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB, OS X 10.10.3 - MacBook Air i5 4GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Dec 8 2014 3:00 PM In reply to

Nikolai H:

This is all being shipped away for colour correction, however I don't want the graphical elements to be graded the same way the rest of the content is being graded, so I want to export this seperatly and put it together after the grading process.

How this is shipped away makes a difference. How is it being sent for color correction?

:: Work - Symphony Nitris DX 3.5.1, HP xw8600 :: Home - Intel 3.0Ghz Quad CPU 8GB G.Skill DDR3 7-7-7 1600 Ram Asus P5E3 Pro NVidia Quadro FX... [view my complete system specs]

"Don't go by my script, they're always wrong." - producer to me while editing

• Tue, Dec 9 2014 10:40 AM In reply to

• Nikolai H
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 27 2012
    • Norway
    • Posts 20
    • Points 265

I'll explain the workflow a bit further, I haven't had this issue before, so I might be completely wrong about some of the basics here.

• I have a project edited on Avid on PC. With alpha elements for supers etc.
    • The colour grading is being done on DaVinci Resolve. They get a DNxHD185 file.
    • After the grading process is done, a ProRes HQ file is exported, as they will be doing the final publishing in Final Cut (They are exclusivly on Final Cut, so this is the only way to do it)
    • The alpha elements is being re-attached to the graded video file in Final Cut.
    Originally we wanted to just have the project layered in Resolve, but Resolve doesn't seem to like the AAF from Avid too much, as it's messing up the placements of the alpha layers.

AKA Dave:

Will this allow me to export a video file with just the alpha graphics so it can be "re-attached" to the video file after grading? 

Scott Carnegie:

Sorry, wasn't that clear on this. I just mentioned it because the colour grading is being done a separate place from where the editing is done, so they won't have access to the project files. So I need to export everything they need.

HP Z420 3.60Ghz 16GB RAM. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Dec 9 2014 12:54 PM In reply to

• AKA Dave
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 3 2007
    • Raleigh, NC
    • Posts 227
    • Points 2,735

Nikolai H:

AKA Dave:

Will this allow me to export a video file with just the alpha graphics so it can be "re-attached" to the video file after grading? 

The short anwer is yes.

Now I am not saying that this is the best way to do this, but here are two versions of the workflow you could use in this situation.

Version one.  Export the sequence to resolve and let them grade it and then send the QT to the FCP station without the alpha elements.  Export a full version of the show from your AVID as a reference file so the FCP guy/gal knows where the alpha elemets are to be placed.  Export the mattes and fills that you created in the original cut and have the fills graded in resolve as you see fit.  After that is done cut them into the sequence on FCP using the refrerence QT for placement.  You'll need the fill and the matte created by the video mixdown I mentioned before and then use a matte key to reproduce the graphic in FCP.  

Version two.  Separate the mattes from the fills and put them on V3 and the fills in V2 in AVID.  Export those two layers to resolve, grade the fills and then cut them back into the sequence in FCP as whole layers that run the total time of the show.  Then its just one matte key to deal with and the timing will preserved as it's cut in AVID.  Personally that's what I'd do.  Seems faster.

The only caveat is that I've never exported to resolve so don't know the process there and how that effects what I've said, but it should work.  Hope that helps.

Dave

MC 8.4.0 with Symphony Option. 27 Inch iMac. 3.5 GHz i7, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB, OS X 10.10.3 - MacBook Air i5 4GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller