Latest post Tue, Mar 12 2019 1:35 PM by BenoitM. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Dec 13 2014 4:41 PM

• Robert B
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Aug 7 2011
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 83
    • Points 1,005

Copy/paste frame flex settings between clips in the timeline?

I'm using frame flex to punch in on a 4K interview to create a virtual CU. I can't seem to drag my closeup settings to a bin and apply them to other clips in the timeline. Am I missing something? Is there a way to copy/paste frame flex settings between clips?

-Robert

OFFICE: 3.5 GHz Core i7 Late 2013 Imac running OSX 10.11 with 32GB RAM. NVIDIA GTX 780M 4096 MB. Avid Media Composer 8.5/ Pro Tools 12.4 MOBILE: 17"... [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under:
  • Mon, Apr 20 2015 8:01 PM In reply to

• guima
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jul 6 2013
    • Posts 2
    • Points 20

Re: Copy/paste frame flex settings between clips in the timeline?

• Tue, Apr 21 2015 8:31 AM In reply to

• MikeyB
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Edlesborough, UK
    • Posts 474
    • Points 5,875
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Moderator: Avid Certified Instructors - Video

Not as such - Frame Flex doesn't play by the same rules.

You can transfer the settings from one Frame Flex to another by right-clicking in the Effect Editor, choosing 'Copy Values at Position' and then and pasting the result into the next clip.

MacBook Pro 15" 2016 2.7GHz i7 Radeon 455 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 22 2015 7:58 AM In reply to

• Susi
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London, UK
    • Posts 578
    • Points 6,655

Thanks Mikey, that's brilliant!

Media Composer 8.6.4 on 15" mid-2012 Macbook Pro (OSX10.11.6) 2.7GHz Intel, 8GB RAM Gizmos: CanonXF200; Canon 550D (DSLR); Hero Go-Pro3 and 4; Sony... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 22 2015 4:54 PM In reply to

• guima
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jul 6 2013
    • Posts 2
    • Points 20

• Fri, May 13 2016 1:25 PM In reply to

• BenoitM
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 1,186
    • Points 14,205

MikeyB:
    You can transfer the settings from one Frame Flex to another by right-clicking in the Effect Editor, choosing 'Copy Values at Position' and then and pasting the result into the next clip

mmmhh this is the general workflow, but in detail, I found it a bit more complex, due to some "strange behaviour" of MC (8.5.2)

right-click in the Effect Editor, choose 'Copy Values at Position'

move to next clip, paste -> this creates a keyframe (you may want to keep or delete)

then , you MUST "nudge" one of the parameters, say the size, otherwise nothing happens !

Now, if you want to apply this technnique to multiple clips, you have to repeat the above sequence each time, including the 'Copy Values at Position', because in my experience, this clipboard data seem to be volatile (perhaps cleared as soon as I delete the kf created with the paste here above?); in addition, I discovered that I have to close the effect editor after each modified clip to 'commit' the changes (instead of leaving the effect editor open and click on the next clip to be modified), otherwise the FF effect is NOT reflected in the record monitor and will NOT render (but when I open the effect editor, the modified parameters are still there !).

All in all this makes this whole sequence a bit more time-consuming than hoped, especially for long sequences with dozens (if not hundreds) of clips with FF effects

MC 2018.12.1 (Symphony option)/BCC 10.0.5/RED 5.6; BlackMagic Ultrastudio Mini Monitor (11.0.0.0); DELL Precision 5530 - Intel Core i7-8850H 2.6 GHz -... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 13 2016 2:25 PM In reply to

Isn't it easier to select all the masterclips you want to do the zoom on in a bin. With them all selected go to source settings and Frame flex. Apply the required zoom in. Then apply and exit. The refresh the sequence to ripple those changes to the clips in the timeline. You can then tweak the frameflex on each clip as required.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Fri, May 13 2016 2:55 PM In reply to

• BenoitM
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 1,186
    • Points 14,205

You're absolutely right, but in this case, it's a long multicam sequence: the [many] clips to be modified belong to a single master clip (a 4k fixed camera AMA clip, where a common set of FF parameters have indeed already been set - a small rotation correction); in the edited timeline, each small clip from that single master needs individual P&S correction, but often a copy from a clip FF effect and paste to a group of subsequent clips is useful (identical stage scene -> identical P&S): that's what I'm trying to "optimize", speed-wise.

In any case, I find it strange that a "commit" has to be performed twice:

- once when pasting the values (nudging a parameter)

- once to effectively apply the settings by explicitly leaving the effect editor

Hopefully these two steps, which are perhaps specific to 8.5.2, will be unnecessary in a subsequent patch...

MC 2018.12.1 (Symphony option)/BCC 10.0.5/RED 5.6; BlackMagic Ultrastudio Mini Monitor (11.0.0.0); DELL Precision 5530 - Intel Core i7-8850H 2.6 GHz -... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Mar 5 2017 10:17 PM In reply to

• Robert B
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Aug 7 2011
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 83
    • Points 1,005

Has there been any improvements in storing Frameflex settings from clip to clip?

The "Copy Values" workaround works 1 of out 5 times for me and results in unpredictable behavior (the values don't copy or paste); it's also very tedious when you have 30-60 photo moves in a sequence. If you can save a timewarp in a bin, shouldn't we be able to save Frameflex settings in a bin?

I'd love to have a bin full of stock motion presets when working with pictures.

Also, there is definitely some flakiness as to whether or not a Frameflex move or resize will actually "take". Many times, I'll have to Open the Effect editor--> click the source monitor, click the record monitor --> hit Y and then magically the Frameflex settings will be obeyed by the Timeline.

That being said, for a very fast photo workflow - Frameflexing photos imported as 4K media in a 1080P project is way faster than the third party "link to original" workflows, albiet the third party plugins result in better image quality and allow for motion blur. 

I'm currently on 8.6.5, gonna try 8.8 and see if things have improved.

-Robert

OFFICE: 3.5 GHz Core i7 Late 2013 Imac running OSX 10.11 with 32GB RAM. NVIDIA GTX 780M 4096 MB. Avid Media Composer 8.5/ Pro Tools 12.4 MOBILE: 17"... [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under:
  • Mon, Mar 6 2017 4:26 PM In reply to

I can save you the trouble...other than the addition of rotation, not much has improved with FF, which is a shame.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Fri, Sep 1 2017 3:33 PM In reply to

• BenoitM
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 1,186
    • Points 14,205

BenoitM:

[...] a "commit" has to be performed twice:

- once when pasting the values (nudging a parameter)

- once to effectively apply the settings by explicitly leaving the effect editor

Hopefully these two steps, which are perhaps specific to 8.5.2, will be unnecessary in a subsequent patch...

FWIW, the first "commit" step (nudging a parameter) is still required in 8.8.5 when copying FramFlex KF values from clip to clip.

Apparently it is no longer necessary to leave the effect editor when jumping to the next clip

• Tue, Mar 12 2019 1:35 PM In reply to

• BenoitM
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 1,186
    • Points 14,205

BenoitM:

FWIW, the first "commit" step (nudging a parameter) is still required in 8.8.5 when copying FramFlex KF values from clip to clip.

Copying Frameflex params from clip to clip is still too tedious because of this necessary 'nudge' step in 18.12.1....Wondering if this is on the todo list for an upcoming release ?

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller