Latest post Tue, May 19 2015 11:35 AM by Eric. 67 replies.
Page 1 of 5 (68 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Dec 22 2014 9:44 PM

• Adman
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Atlanta Georgia, USA
    • Posts 5,340
    • Points 60,290
    • BlogAuthor
      Moderator: Avid Free DV
      Moderator: Avid Xpress DV PC
      Moderator: Avid Xpress Studio
      Moderator: MCA PC

Media Composer 8.3 NOW AVAILABLE!

Here is the link:

http://esd.avid.com/ProductDownload.aspx?id=1309

We are pleased to announce the release of the latest version of Media Composer | Software (v8.3). This latest update – available today, December 22nd, 2014 - adds fabulous new features including 4k and some tweaks to the application.

Software upgrades - there is NO Uninstall (from Media Composer | Software versions 8.2 - 8.0) required - the application is now designed to install on top of the current application on Mac and Windows.

If on Mac OS X Yosemite - If you are not already on an 8.0 thru 8.2 release, you should use the uninstaller from the Media Composer | Software (v8.3) release. If you use the uninstaller from the Media Composer | Software (v8.2) release you may encounter issues with Gatekeeper. You will need to turn Gatekeeper off using the uninstaller from 8.2. 

Perpetual licenses - need to Deactivate/Activate to run Media Composer | Software (v8.3). Even if you have a v8.0 license, you need to reactivate (Deactivate/Activate) your current v8.0 license in order to upgrade to v8.3.This is true for Software, Dongle, and Floating licenses.

Dongle based perpetual upgrades - customers running 8.2 or earlier must go to their Master Account at account.avid.com and log in to retrieve their dongle updater.avd file to update the dongle to Media Composer | Software ( v8.3).

Subscription/Rental licenses - do not have to reactivate to run Media Composer | Software (v8.3)

ReadMe and Whats New: Read the “ReadMe” for changes/updates as well as the “Whats New” guide for information on the new features.

How to obtain the Media Composer | Software:

1. Existing: Customers who have already installed the latest version of Media Composer | Software ( v8.2) will be notified of the availability of this upgrade via the Application Manager. The Apps tab will also provide a link to download and install the update when desired.

2. New: New customers who purchase Media Composer | Software or an Upgrade and Support plan for Media Composer, Symphony, or NewsCutter, will receive the update in their Master Avid Account at account.avid.com.

3. On Support: Customers on current Avid Support contracts can download the Media Composer | Software v8.3 update either from their Master Avid Account or the Avid Download Center (login and password required).

4. Not on Support: Customers not on a current Support contract should purchase a Standard Avid Upgrade and Support plan for $299 USD to receive the latest software updates. Do this by December 31, 2014.

Mac Pro. QHD Ultra wide, thunderbolt LG monitor, MC 2019.6.0. Pro Tools 11 HD (Mbox 3 Pro), iPad Pro 12.9". 17" Macbook Pro i7. Dell Precision... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Dec 22 2014 10:21 PM In reply to

Re: Media Composer 8.3 NOW AVAILABLE!

Avid Media Composer | Software (8.3) brings us 2K, 4K and UHD support, New Frame Rates, Color Management, LUT Enhancements, Proxy Mode, DPX Export, Quick Filter Bin, List Tool, Color Info Tool and much more…

Read all about this new version, in my Avid Blog post:
    http://www.avidblogs.com/editing-4k-in-media-composer-software-now-available/

Wim

Social Media Manager at Avid
    Editor-in-Chief avidblogs.com

Got a great story to tell for #TimelineTuesday?
    Want to share a Media Composer Tutorial on #TutorialThursday?
    Contact me!

Twitter: @editorbelga
    Facebook: fb.com/editorbelga 
    WWLD

• Mon, Dec 22 2014 10:36 PM In reply to

Wim,

GREAT WORK!!!

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Mon, Dec 22 2014 10:49 PM In reply to

wheres the list of bug fixes? 

• Tue, Dec 23 2014 4:01 AM In reply to

n/m - took the plunge. 

Must say im pretty impressed! 

Multicam is back in working order.

Trimming is pretty good with Blackmagic hardware (driver 9.9.3). Caps Lock/Scrub is tight and responsive.

Itried the 4K workflows out. My I7 Imac was playing back AMA'd 4kRED clips in proxy 1/16  with no problem.

Transcoded to DNxHR HQ and it played back no proxy Full Quality with no lag! Didnt think i'd ever get native (to avid) 4K playback on this thing at decent quality. Pretty impressed I have to say. 

App feels pretty snappy and responsive overall in compared to the last couple version. Background Service's running right, etc. I think Avid might have just come thru in the nick of time. 

• Tue, Dec 23 2014 5:03 AM In reply to

• Andrew Rice
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 24 2011
    • Maui, Hawaii
    • Posts 155
    • Points 2,010

Took the pluge and am really impressed.  The interface is snappy again!  My timeline was gettting sluggish, yes I have a BMD Decklink, and now it is back to that snappy interface I expect!  And I can work in 2-4K....among other nice extras.

Big big Mahalo to AVID!  Nice Christmas gift!

Media Composer 8.4 • Mac Pro • 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon • 16GB RAM • ATI Radeon HD 5770 • Nvidia Quadra 4000 • Blackmagic Decklink Studio • BMD Desktop... [view my complete system specs]

Glassy waves make me happy

• Tue, Dec 23 2014 7:26 AM In reply to

The link to the documentation is not working on my laptop. I tried with chrome, firefox and explorer.

Does anybody have the correct link or can we expect a fix later today?

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Tue, Dec 23 2014 2:34 PM In reply to

• Eric
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Canada
    • Posts 561
    • Points 6,400

The Nitris DX is listed in the product page for the new upgrade.

Does this mean it works on the new Mac Pro using a Thunderbolt chassis?

We had to buy an UltraStudio 4K just to replace that Nitris.

We were told that Avid would not upgrade the system to any Thunderbolt options.

Now if that is the case, does this mean we can do 4K editing on a 2012 Mac Pro?

There is no mention of 4K I/O with the Nitris so maybe just typical marketing ploy to get rid of the dead weight?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Apple OS X 10.13.6 MC 2018.10.0 Avid Arist I/O [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Dec 23 2014 2:48 PM In reply to

• bonang
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Boston, MA
    • Posts 348
    • Points 4,315

Eric:

The Nitris DX is listed in the product page for the new upgrade.

Does this mean it works on the new Mac Pro using a Thunderbolt chassis?

We had to buy an UltraStudio 4K just to replace that Nitris.

We were told that Avid would not upgrade the system to any Thunderbolt options.

Now if that is the case, does this mean we can do 4K editing on a 2012 Mac Pro?

There is no mention of 4K I/O with the Nitris so maybe just typical marketing ploy to get rid of the dead weight?

It means that Nitris DX, on a Nitris DX-qualified system, will support 4K. It does not infer that Nitris DX is now Thunderbolt-ready; this is not expected to happen, and if it did, Avid would announce this. Nitris is not, and never will be a 4K-capable box - but it can display 4K/UHD in HD resolutions to a client monitor. We too replaced Nitris DXs w/ BMD Ultra 4Ks, and hope that we can monitor 4K/UHD in 4K/UHD on 4K monitors with them.

Avid MC 2012.12 with Symphony option | HP zbook 17" G3 / i7 6820HQ / 32GB RAM / 512GB SSD / WIN 10 PRO 64 / nVidia m3000m / BMD UltraStudio 4K [view my complete system specs]

Keith

• Tue, Dec 23 2014 3:10 PM In reply to

• Eric
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Canada
    • Posts 561
    • Points 6,400

bonang:
    It means that Nitris DX, on a Nitris DX-qualified system, will support 4K.

Good to know. Were doing okay with the UltraStudio 4K, just waiting on the LG to deliver for 4K viewing.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Apple OS X 10.13.6 MC 2018.10.0 Avid Arist I/O [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Dec 23 2014 4:23 PM In reply to

• sven2615
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 12 2006
    • Berlin
    • Posts 152
    • Points 2,030

hi!

i tried the T-Tap Firmware 10/1/12 and AJA_OpenIO-10_4_9 with a Mac Pro 3.5GHz 6 core, OS 10.9.5, MC 8.3. The client monitor connected to the t-tap had a slight delay of 1-2 frames, but all over the media composer performance seemed to be ok. much faster timeline behavoiur than in the versions before.

unfortunately i tried to make the performance faster by installing the newest t-tap and aja openIO drivers. since then, mc doesn´t work at all. the client monitor shows picture and sometimes plays some frames but mostly i can watch the colorful ball spin around until the MC crashes finally.

which aja t-tap driver would you recommend, is supported with mc 8.3?

best
    sven

Avid Media Composer 7.0.3 | MacPro 3.5 GHz 6core 32GB RAM | AJA T-Tap |||| The Audio Mixer is too BIG since mc6!!! [view my complete system specs]

www.svenbudelmann.com
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0118967/ 

• Tue, Dec 23 2014 4:46 PM In reply to

• bonang
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Boston, MA
    • Posts 348
    • Points 4,315

Eric:

bonang:
    It means that Nitris DX, on a Nitris DX-qualified system, will support 4K.

Good to know. Were doing okay with the UltraStudio 4K, just waiting on the LG to deliver for 4K viewing.

Do understand that the Nitris DX will not DISPLAY 4K as 4K, but that it will SUPPORT it in a timeline.

Avid MC 2012.12 with Symphony option | HP zbook 17" G3 / i7 6820HQ / 32GB RAM / 512GB SSD / WIN 10 PRO 64 / nVidia m3000m / BMD UltraStudio 4K [view my complete system specs]

Keith

• Tue, Dec 23 2014 4:52 PM In reply to

• jogotron
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Aug 29 2008
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 51
    • Points 760

Hypothetically speaking, if one was to have been on MC 8.2 on 10.9.5 and ran the uninstaller, and then installed 8.3 against your instructions  - what kind of issues could one expect to have? 

Stick out tongue

HOME - MACBOOK PRO - 10.9.5 - 2.3 core i7, 16 GB ram. Media Composer 8, pro tools 11 WORK - Avid Isis 5000, MacPro 5,1 6-core Xeon, 16 GB ram, Avid... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Dec 23 2014 5:15 PM In reply to

jogotron:

Hypothetically speaking, if one was to have been on MC 8.2 on 10.9.5 and ran the uninstaller, and then installed 8.3 against your instructions  - what kind of issues could one expect to have?

You shouldn't have any issues.  You CAN run the installer, you just don't have to anymore.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Tue, Dec 23 2014 5:17 PM In reply to

• Eric
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Canada
    • Posts 561
    • Points 6,400

bonang:
    Do understand that the Nitris DX will not DISPLAY 4K as 4K, but that it will SUPPORT it in a timeline.

Yep that I def know.

We would have been happy with the Nitris working with a Thunderbolt chassis.

We still have older BetaCam, XDCAM and SVHS decks to deal with.

Thanks to a few BMD convertors and VideoHub, we got the old legacy working in UltraStudio.

Page 1 of 5 (68 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller